“Fusion cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of 1800

Ranked #48 of 91 Restaurants in Oia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Athens, Greece
“Fusion cuisine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The character of the restaurant changed since my last visit in Santorini, about 7-8years ago. The generous, mediterranean influenced, dishes were replaced by smaller and more "playful" tastes.

For me it is unique as concept in Santorini, one of the few in Greece and maybe in the world. It 's a blend of fusion with molecular cuisine, which doesn't always give or meet the clients expectation, except if there is a connoisseur.

The dishes or the menus are nicely prepared, with an interesting color / taste mixture and fresh ingredients. The wine list could have been better but stay local on your choice. As unique is the island, that much unique are the soil and the microclimate that these grapes are growing.

You need a reservation even the months that are considered low season. It worths a try, mostly from people that are open minded and like the challenges. Pricing could have been 15-25% less expensive in order to be considered fair value for your money.

• Visited October 2012

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
“Delicious! Stunning rooftop!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

After looking on Tripdvisor and having it also recommended by our hotel, we booked here for sunset on their roof!..and it didn't disappoint!...being a big restaurant foodie myself ,i love a good rooftop restaurant!...it was very romantic!...staff were very quick and proffesional and the menu was extensive. The two way cooked sardines for entree was AMAZING!(if you like sardines) and my main of the fish was very creative. Pricest arent the cheapest. but worth it. Located in Oia also its stunning to walk down the cobbled path to get there (take a scooter to get to sunset at oia! as alot of traffic to get there).great experieince! highly recommend it!!!!

• Visited August 2013
Washington, D.C.
“Lackluster In So Many Ways”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Worst meal by far that we ate in Santorini. What a disappointment. Every guidebook raved about 1800 being an excellent restaurant. We thought it was terrible. Non-attentive service. Food that really was not tasty. Prices that were too high for the meals received. The only thing we liked about the place was the location and the rooftop.

To start, 1800 has a Vegetarian Tasting Menu posted in the street in front of the restaurant. When I requested that at my table, the waiter looked horribly confused. I explained that they were advertising this on the street, so he said he would look into it. I was able to get the tasting menu, so no harm there.

The first course that came, however, was not vegetarian. It had prosciutto on it. The waiter took it back and supplied me with a fresh onion soup with (hopefully) no pork products in it within about 10 minutes. My husband ordered the fish tasting menu. He thought the octopus was lackluster and reminded him of mushrooms with an octopus seasoning. Not exactly award-winning cuisine.

The second course was better. I had lentils and a salad. They were pretty tasty. My husband had a tomato salad that he didn't love, but that he did say was not awful.

The third course was terrible. I had a vegetable risotto coated in sundried tomatoes. These two items did not in any way go together. The risotto was too chewy and not delicate enough. Add to that very flavor-forward and tough-textured sundried tomatoes, and you had a culinary disaster. My husband also was not a fan of his croaker. He noted that it was supposed to taste like sea bass, which would have been great if the fish had any taste at all.

Service at the restaurant was spotty to terrible. We had to ask repeatedly for the check, and my husband finally had to stand at the bar until they produced the document. Ridiculous.

In short, Santorini has plenty of great restaurants. 1800 is not one of them. Don't be fooled by the hype.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Stoobler-Houll
Delray Beach, Florida
“Delicious Food and Excellent View!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

This restaurant was quite a breath of fresh air from the traditional Greek cuisine. As much as we love cucumber, feta and dolmades, it was nice to see a more Westernized menu with a little more variety. Although pricier than the majority of other restaurants, we felt it was definitely worth the money. The service was a little slow, although very friendly. The gap in between our appetizers and entrees was about an hour, which is normally not ideal but we were in no rush anyway. For appetizers we tried the octopus, ravioli, and carpaccio, which were small bites, but delicious. Entrées were definitely the headliners of the meal. The pork belly was one of the best I've ever had, and double the size I've seen served at any other restaurant. The caramelized apples on the side were a great compliment to the dish. Someone else at the table ordered the ribeye, which was prepared a perfect medium rare, and although we were advised not to order steak in Europe, it was delicious with a nice dry red. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone, and don't let the price scare you away it's worth every cent.

• Visited August 2013
Mooresville, North Carolina
“Worth it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This rooftop patio meal was a great experience all the way around. While pricier than most places in Oia, it lives up to the expectations. We ordered 4 dishes (appetizers and main dishes) between my husband and I to share. The portions are small, but the food is delicious and it was plenty. They offered to bring each dish one at a time since we were sharing and although it ended up being a 3 hour meal, we enjoyed every minute of it. They expect you to stay awhile and enjoy yourself so there was no rush to leave. In fact, it took us awhile to get the check even after we finished because they did not assume we would leave when we finished our meal. Wonderful atmosphere and wonderful food! But as other diners have noted, don't expect to get in and out.

Visited August 2013