“SENSATIONAL FOOD~~!”
Review of Ochre Restaurant

Ochre Restaurant
Ranked #40 of 95 Restaurants in Oia
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Our Chef Panagiotis Kerpelis is obsessive about the culinary details and fundamental techniques that are the foundation of an exciting culinary imagination and a kitchen that delivers the very best products of the earth to the table.No detail or element can be less important or more important than another.Because a great meal is not one that fills you up.A great meal is a kind of journey that returns you to sources of pleasure you may have forgotten and takes you to places you haven't been before.
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My fiancee and i went to Santorini during the last week in September enjoying a nice three week holiday visiting the beautiful islands of Greece.A friend of mine from there suggested the restaurant Ochre so we decided to go there and give it a shot.The scenery surrounding the restaurant was amazing and it well prepared us for a delightful evening.

We were greeted at the entrance by a lovely young girl with a great smile,who later turned out to be our waitress as well.The restaurant itself was beautiful with a lovely view and even though it was a bit cloudy we saw one of the most amazing sunsets ever!

The food now was delicious!!We enjoyed a refreshing rocked salad with wallnuts and cheese and a nice balsamic dressing.Their wine selection was vast and of high quality!We enjoyed a local whine Assyrtico Atheri (dont remember the name excactly) but it was great.Main course now we had the special of the day ,fish it was dont know what but it certainly tasted heavenly,funny thing my fiancee kept asking for the recipe ,good laughs!!

Towards the end of our evening we decided we wanted some desert so our waitress suggested us their own,homemade by the owners mother that is ,orange pie!!Absolutely gorgeous!!!!

So to wrap up to all of you visiting the beautiful island of Santorini.Great service,amazing restaurant,breath taking view and delicious food at a reasonable price.I highly reccomend it to everyone!!cheers!

2  Thank Chris G

Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We ate in Ochre on the last night of our 6 day trip to Santorini, as we heard this was the best place and wanted to keep it as a treat. We were so disappointed!

The restaurant was empty and lacking in any atmosphere. We ordered the zucchini tart (very cold!) and the scallops (overcooked) to start. For mains, I had the salmon (not fresh!) while my husband had the t-bone steak (fatty, overcooked, watery). We complained and received free deserts, which were nice...and at least they responded to our complaint!

I would recommend so many more places ahead of Ochre - including Floga, Ambrosia and Louda at Andronis Boutique!

1  Thank ViviDublin
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Based on all of the great reviews for the set menus (my husband and I tried both set menus), I was very surprised that the food did not come close to meeting expectations when I dined at Ochre last night. I have to caveat that I am a big foodie from San Francisco so the bar is very high for this type of restaurant (with a focus on delivering high quality, well executed modern food). I would like to mention that the restaurant has a very nice ambience with great views, and great service. It's just too bad the food was sub-par.

Set menu 1:
1. Fava purée with beets and octopus: no cohesiveness... Nothing went well together. Usually love octopus but it tasted exceptionally fishy (was it the sauce?), the beets were served warm (yuck). Can't really mess up fava spread.
2. Greek salad: probably the highlight, although the big crouton / bread it was served on was a bit much
3. Seafood risotto: basically orzo risotto... This was okay. Risotto to shrimp ratio was a big high (only 3 medium shrimp).
4. Yogurt mousse: also just okay. Texture was weird. Prefer regular yogurt.

Set menu 2:
1. Feta mousse with tomatoes: this was okay. Tomatoes were fresh and nicely seasoned.
2. Fig and walnut salad: was very excited about this dish, but it had a weird canola oil flavor to it, which killed it! Couldn't figure out why it had this oily flavor.
3. Pasta with chicken: this was terrible. I would describe this as a chicken alfredo fettuccine, which no high end restaurant should ever serve! Not only was it uninspired, but also very underseasoned (somewhat fixed with salt and parm). Again ratio was off... Way too much pasta for amount of chicken given. I would have cut back on pasta.
4. Panna cotta: we love panna cotta and I know when the texture is off. It was way too thick although maybe this is Greek style (like the thicker yogurt)?, however there was an odd perfume like flavor that killed this dessert for us. Flowery flavored desserts aren't my thing.

Just my opinion of this restaurant which i recognize is very different from prior reviewers (which compelled me to write this). Perhaps we were there on an off night? We were not in the mood to complain about the food (and there was nothing egregiously wrong... just not to our tastes) and the set menus were quite inexpensive (26 and 28 euros) so while I was expecting more, i didn't feel completely robbed. And the staff was very nice but I think they could tell we weren't in love with our food given the amount left on our plates. Overall 2 stars for food. 5 stars for location and service.

Panagiotis K, Owner at Ochre Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

At first we would like to thank you for visiting our restaurant and for your sincere comments. As you mentioned also yourselves we do understand that every judgement of taste is very personal. However we can assure you that we take all comments very seriously. We are very sorry & sad to hear that we were not able to reach your expectations.
We always try to improve ourselves in order to keep the high quality and to satisfy our customers. Indeed it was an off night for us since our chef was due to an unexpected situation not present the night you visited us . Of course this is not an excuse. Therefore we sincerely hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you another time in the future at our restaurant.

Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely table out on the balcony for a sunset view though anywhere in this restaurant would be lovely to sit! All staff were extremely attentive, lighting candles, offering blankets and suggestions and in all just very pleasant! I had the degustation menu witch was plentiful and good value at 4 courses for €26. Food was hearty and well presented. Enjoyed my dinning experience and would recommend it to fellow travellers.

1  Thank AussieGalAbroad
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Stylish variations to the usual menus, with thoughtful touches like rugs against the clifftop winds after the Autumn sunset. Arguably the best view on Santorini, as the oval sun dips into the wine-dark sea.