“More than Perfect!”
Review of Spitia Houses

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oia
Spitia Houses
Ranked #23 of 34 Oia B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We had the amazing fortunate to stay for 5 days in this paradise. Perfect location for a full sunset (sun sets on the sea, only see this if you stay north of the old castle in Oia) We stayed in Spitia House's one bedroom (upper villa) with a jacuzzi on the terrace. The jacuzzi was just glorious during the day and extra special at sunsets. The villa was a large size with the bedroom in a loft (reachable by several stairs), living area, kitchette (we cooked in two evenings - extra nice with the window view), and the nice bathroom. This villa has two terraces, a upper (with jacuzzi) and the lower with a table and chairs (perfect for a meal). Panos and Tim were helpful in accomodating our needs. Very close to the village, shops and restaurants. Many stairs to get to the villa but well worth it! Recommendations: Restaurants - Roka and Kyprida; To do: rent an ATV, best way to explore the island (we found it the easiest way to get around and did not find it dangerous), visit the wineries (we especially liked Boutari), and Perussia Beach.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank darftl

Reviewed November 3, 2010

I almost didn't write this review because I don't want these beautiful houses to become so popular they wont be available on our next time, but I decided to share....

We stayed had amazing stay of 3 nights at the smaller of the Spitia houses, the one with the 2 balconies. Panos the owner is very nice and easily accessible. Communication, planning and reserving the property was easy and stress free. When we arrived late due to our flight he had Tim( the general caretaker) meet us instead. Tim carried our luggage up and down all the steep steps to the apartment.

The apartment is perfectly located on the caldera with a very private view of the the horizon. The apartment was clean and the bathroom was open style and also very clean. There are views from every window of the house. The bed is soft(I'm used to firmer beds) but very comfortable. The decor is modern, simple with clean lines and some local touches.

The jacuzzi was heated and cleaned daily. The first day was very windy, causing small debris to fly into the water. Poor Tim must have drained and cleaned it like 4 times. Breakfast is served unobtrusively by Tim around 9 am. It consist of OJ, milk, fresh yogurt, honey, muffins and several kinds of baked breads. Coffee and tea are available in the kitchen for you to make.

The view in the morning, midday, sunset and in moonlight is like no other. The price is well worth the view and the service. Even though it is flanked by hotels and other apartments, it is very very private. We had an amazing time. The apartment has breathtaking views and crazy good service. On departure Panos arranged a taxi pick up for us at our last minute request (we were leaving at 5:30am) and again Tim carried our luggage all the way to the main road by the bus stop.

Take note all the houses on the caldera require climbing steep often uneven steps and spitia houses are no exception, but the immediate steps leading to the apartment are well built and level.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank drnani
Reviewed August 7, 2010

Location, Location, Location- This is the best place to stay in Oia with unforgettable and breathtaking views of the caldera and the magnificent sunsets. My partner and I stayed at Spitia for four nights in May, 2010 – we could have stayed longer. It is the best value that you will get in Oia. This is truly a gem that has not been discovered by the masses. You will pay much more at other places in Oia for less in accommodations and no view of the sunset. I keep referring to the views, but without a doubt the view is what everyone comes to see. Every night hundreds of tourists line up on the cliffs above to watch the sunset. The crowd erupts into a thunderous applause as the sun dips down into the water. You feel special to be able to sit on your balcony alone with a nice glass of wine enjoying what everyone else has come to see.
I could continue to gush for pages about the experience my partner and I had while staying at Spitia. I encourage anyone reading this to contact us about our experience –it was so fantastic. From the pre-trip communications to the day we arrived and the day we left. It was more than our expectations could imagine. Panos knows how to help make your visit the best possible. He set up a taxi to meet us at the airport and he checked in to make sure that our stay was the best it could be. He recommended some great local places to eat at and places to see on the island.
To get to the house it is quite a few stairs. I think that is important to think about before staying here. Panos has Tim bring your suitcases to the house and to the car or taxi when you leave – that is true customer service. But, really anywhere you stay in Oia you will have to climb or go down many steps. If you need something for the house plan accordingly so you can cut down on the number of trips you make. But, to be honest you are always in awe of the view that the steps become secondary.
There are two houses to stay in. We stayed in the top house, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND if there are two of you on the trip. (One bedroom only) It has two balcony areas to sit, sunbath, or just relax and read a book. The design of the balconies has padded sitting areas besides having chairs and tables; very well thought out. There is also a dipping pool or hot-tub that you have on the top balcony to cool you down. Each night we sat out on the deck with a bottle of wine (local variety) and a plate of meat and cheeses and olives. We were in heaven. The outdoor space of the house is what the true selling point along with the view.
The inside of the house is very simple and is much like the traditional style of Greek cave home with a modern twist. The rooms consist of a simple living area, dining area, and kitchen that you can fix little snacks along with a small fridge. The bathroom has a wonderful open shower – which we loved. No one can see in, but you are in the midst of your morning shower and you look out through the doors to see this magnificent view and the sunshine bouncing off the beautiful blue sea. The bedroom is up about 7 small stairs. So again keep in mind the number of stairs on this trip. You will find you do not spend much time in the house. Why would you with so much to do and see in Santorini (travel all around the island – that is another topic). Please note: you cannot flush any toilet paper down the stool, but goes for anywhere you stay in Oia. There is a can that is provided for toilet paper that is disposed of each morning.
Each morning Tim delivers breakfast to the house that includes different types of bread, juice, milk, Greek yoghurt, an assortment of homemade jams, honey and cereal. Tim also cleans the house, brings fresh towels, and makes the bed each day.
As I have stated over and over – THE VIEW and the LOCATION. Really it is why this place is so desirable. That part of the cliff where the house is located on in Oia was in a picture for Life Magazine as a World Must See Destination. The view is hard to describe, it must be experienced to fully appreciate the WOW factor.
Bottom Line - BOOK THIS PLACE - YOU will not regret it – more like you will never forget how brilliant it was to stay at Spitia. The reviews of Spitia were on the spot. I have since become huge fan of Trip Advisor. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank chadpopham
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My wife and I travelled with our three daughters aged 17, 18 and 21 to Oia and stayed at Spitia for four night in the larger of the two houses. We drove our rental car from the Thira airport to the Village of Oia townhall where the owner, Panos had arranged to have Tim meet us to carry our luggage. Tim met us promptly at midnight, and brought along help so that we would not have to carry our four suitcases down the many steps. We were immediately impressed by this extraordinary level of service. Tim also carried the bags back up the stairs at the end of our stay.

After taking a few steps toward the house we were overwhelmed by the ambiance of the village. The lighting, the sky, the architecture, the happy mood that people were in and the night time view immediately made the place feel magical. The whole area had a classy and relaxed feel at the same time. We stopped at several points on the way down to the house to take in the atmosphere which immediately relaxed and excited us at the same time.

Arriving at the house we could not believe how well thought out everything was. Everything in the room was in good condition as the houses had only been renovated last June and everything was pretty much brand new. As impressed as we were with the house we were more excited about it's phenomenal location - There was not a single direction that you could look from the house that produced less than a post card quality view!

The next morning we woke up to a visual treat... Breakfast was brought by our friendly and always-smiling host, Tim. Breakfast was a treat consisting of different types of bread, juice, milk, Greek yoghurt, an assortment of beautifully homemade jams, honey and cereal all arranged on a tray. It was the best breakfast due mostly to the location of the breakfast table - on the large terrace overlooking the caldera and the Aegean Sea!

We met Panos, the owner, and found him to be helpful and genuine. We took Panos's advice and swam in the Bay of Ammoudi below the house and at Perissa beach and highly recommend both places.

We spent a lot of time on the terrace and in the house in mid afternoons away from the sun, watching DVDs from Panos's collection on the modern flat screen tv. The air conditioning, which worked very well, was only needed in the afternoon. We spent some time in the village centre in evenings. The shops and restaurants were of high quality and the village was lively.

We ate a couple of times at a restaurant at the water's edge in Ammoudi Bay where the seafood was excellent. The restaurants in the village are quite good. There's a typical Greek restaurant which caters to mostly Greeks across the main road from the village centre that we liked not far from the bakery, which we also liked.

Spitia offers good value for our money as other reviews have suggested. This was especially true in our case since the house accommodated the five of us comfortably and made it possible to avoid renting an extra unit. If you have a family of five, I suggest talking to Panos about getting the larger house.

My entire family agrees that this was the best vacation we have ever taken! Spitia was the best place we have ever stayed at. Do trust all the positive reviews on this property. I find that the reviews are bang-on.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank cseOttawa
Reviewed July 19, 2010

A lot of things have been say about Spitia Houses:
"This place brings the best in me"
"Magical, I wanted to stay forever"
"Honestly the best place I ever stayed"
an so on...
all of these are true...

So let's begin giving Oia a few lines for herself...
If you saw in 1982, the now cult classic "Summer Lovers" you need no introduction,
I think 80% of the people travelling to Santorini and specially Oia do it because of
this magical movie.
Oia today still retains that fantasy, a small litle town on the NW tip of the island
filled with colors, light, art, good food a a dreamlike spirit that I've never felt anywhere
in the wolrd, and I am a travel agent, I've been around a few miles in my 40 years.

So, let's back to Spitia, first of all the reservation process is very good, just write to
Panos, the wonderful owner of the houses and he will answer all your questions intermediate and get you on your way.

As soon as you arrive, Panos will have Tim, the sweet guy who will make your beds and deliver breakfast between 9-10am waiting for you to carry your bags to the house, this is wonderful as you should now Oia is filled with stairs up and down the town, and it can get tiresome specially if you are arriving from a long fly, jetlag or Ouzo hangovers from athens the night before.
Get to the house and the 1st thing is awe!!! is perfectly located in the middle of the clift
facing the sunset view, at perfect distance to the town up or Amoudi Bay bellow you, which is one of Santorini's top spots for enjoying a nice meal in front of the bay, clift jumping ( YOU-MUST-DO-THIS ) and the clears deep blue waters of the Aegean see.

The House... firs of all is located in an area where you will have provacy and believe me,
you will love this! it has everything you need, Panos said we should call him if we needed anything, believe, you wont! The candles are a perfect way to set up the romantic mood around that Jacuzzi where I promess you, you will stay for long hours and don't realize you're becoming a prum!

The interior of the house is simple which for me is elegant, It has beautiful details that
will make you feel at home, and this is one of the top advantages of Spitia: you will be at home! Just make sure if you plan a romantic dinner on the balcony, don't use the flowervase from the living room inside as the wind can get really naughty and send it flying and and turn your romantic dinner into glass picking from the floor ;))))

Me and my longtime friend stayed in the house bellow which has 2 rooms, a super spacious kitchen with everything you need to cook a wonderful meal with all the natural ingredients Santorini has to offer you at the supermarket, a living room, a bathroom so nice and with such a view that you will want to take showers at least twice a day! a word of advice, Santorini spoiled tomatos forever for me! I never tasted sweet, soft, meaty tomatos in my life so esquisite as Santorini's!
Cook on olive oil, 2 heads of garlic, a small sliced red onion, slice some santorini tomatos, trow some tasty Santorini's black olives and then serve on top of a perfect cook al dente spaghetis, some pieces of feta cheese on top, open a nice Domaine Sygalas wine and believe me, your travel partner, friend or family will love you for the rest of the holiday!

I have to finally thanks Panos for making my dream to travel to Oia come true with his spectacular vision to make this houses your own!
Believe me, save yourself a lot of time, I was reading and web browsing for
my perfect stay in Santorini for a month! look no further... Spitia Houses are waiting!!!!!!!
and lastly but not least, something I learned from a book when I was In Oia: "xeno" in greek means stranger, and "filos" means friend, add them together "filoxeno" and you get "kind person who's nice to strangers"
Enjoy Greece and its people and welcome to your house in Oia!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bluedreams69
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Spitia Houses exceeded our expectations and made our trip perfect. All the stairs were worth it. We felt like we had our own little private slice of Oia. This was the perfect spot for enjoying sunsets, breakfasts on the terrace, and all with our own dip pool. The owner, Panos, and the gentleman who cleaned and helped with bags, Tim, were both wonderful. I would recommend this place to anyone! The only drawback was that the bedroom was up a steep ladder, and the air conditioning cooled mostly the downstairs, so the bedroom was pretty hot at night. But that's just part of Greece in the summertime. At least there was air conditioning at all!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2010

If you’re looking for a vacation home type of property in Oia, Spitia’s your place. That’s primarily because of the location. You know those famous sunsets that cruise passengers pay big money to come see on excursions? At Spitia, you’ve got the prime (THE prime) view. But you’d never know you’re sharing it with the sunset crowd, because the houses feel completely private (meaning nobody’s there to gawk when you’re enjoying your terrace Jacuzzi). Many of the properties in Oia lie directly along a path, reducing privacy. But Spitia is completely sheltered. It’s the perfect getaway.
And it has a lot more to offer than just location. Add in incredible design that makes you feel like you’re at an exclusive boutique property, with a spa shower and gorgeous décor that somehow feels traditional and contemporary at the same time. And then add in full wireless access and satellite TV, hosts that will go out of their way to ensure your every comfort, more than you could possibly eat for breakfast and a two-level terrace with private Jacuzzi, and you’ve got unbeatable value for the true “Oia experience.”
(Note: I’ve read some of the reviews here and just want to clarify a couple of things. They do now provide a full carafe of milk with breakfast. Also, there is extensive stair-climbing involved in order to reach the property, but that describes the majority of Oia. Think of it as an extra bonus – you’ll build a healthy appetite for all that amazing Greek food, and won’t have to worry about additional exercise! If stairs are a problem for you, research the property you choose very carefully. You will likely have to go with something along the road, the uppermost pedestrian way or by the sea.)

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple