“Pretty typical small French holiday hotel”

Hotel La Residence Manoir De La Salamandre
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Etretat
Reviewed July 17, 2013

La Residence is an attractive half-timbered building with parts of the ground and first floors dating back to the 13th century. There is no proper hotel reception, communal area or lift. It is conveniently located only 50M from the sea in a street/area dominated by places to eat, inside and outside. We booked the family room (27), which was spacious and more like a studio flat than a hotel room. It had plenty of places to sit and two tables plus an outside area to sit in on a roof terrace. The terrace certainly wouldn’t be safe for young children though,as there were some very low parapets.

The room was reasonably decorated and comfortable ( especially the beds) . On the downside the bathroom (just a shower and no bath) was tiny. There were only 3 coathangers in the wardrobe, we eventually managed to get a few more. Was noisy outside at times at night sometimes, especially when the bottle skips were emptied at 4 am.

As other reviewers have mentioned the modest French breakfast seemed overpriced at £8 each, so we gave that a miss. We did not eat in the restaurant at all in fact as it was rather expensive . Typical menu price was around £25 and drinks prices were very high ( £8.50 for a large beer; £20 for a bottle of house wine; £4 for a coffee etc ) . This was a general problem in Etretat ( and in most French resorts) although some of the eating places/bars were a bit more reasonable.. On the other hand it is a nice , well-kept, pretty, smaller, relaxing holiday town with a half mile long promenade, pebble beach and spectacular cliffs. . Almost no night life, just a small casino.

The hotel has no parking and parking can be a problem in the town, especially at weekends. The nearest car park is at the end of the street by the beach, but it is very small and charges from 09.00 to 19.00 every day. We would recommend parking outside the tourist office/Mairie, which only charges for afternoons and weekends. This is usually full but if you hang round for a few minutes a space often becomes available. There is cheaper/free parking further out of town.

Overall a very pleasant, relaxing seaside town to visit with plenty of choice of restaurants. Just check the food and drink prices before ordering if you are on any sort of budget.

Room Tip: If you like a lot of space and somewhere to sit inside and outside then go for Room 27 ( studio/fami...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Albermarle
There are newer reviews for Hotel La Residence Manoir De La Salamandre

A TripAdvisor Member
Etretat
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Expensive hotel for such a quality and service. Cheap hotel (without any star) playing to be an expensive hotel. Small old rooms. Really expensive breakfast for just a coffee, a piece of bread, a croissant and an industrial orange juice. And wi-fi didn't work.
I don't recommand this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I thought I would go for a day trip but fell in love with Etretat. It is an adorable quiet place.

My room was very cute. It had a very nice television. I watched an American movie subtitled in French. The view was nice. I did not have my own restroom, but that was not a problem for me. I only had to wait in the morning, about 15 minutes, to shower.

Front desk person did not know English very well and I knew no French, so that was a little tough, but we got through it.
The beach is a short stroll away and there are several restaurants close by, including the one attached which is very nice.
I had to go up 3 flights of stairs, but that was fine with me. I only had a backpack.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The Good:
1. Great location
2. Historic building
3. Staff are friendly

The BAD:-
1. The room was extremely small (for two people, you had to move out of the way for each person to move around the bed).
2. There was only a bath - no shower
3. No Air conditioning, no safe
3. Noise, Noise, Noise at night. We were awoken at midnight by the staff clearing away the terrace chairs and shouting to each other, as they did so; again at 2.00am as the nearby casino cleared out its unhappy clientel; again at 4.00am as the refuse collecters removed the rubbish from the dumpsters in the nearby sqaure; and again at 7.00 am as the staff put back the terrace chairs again...

In a one sentence, if you want to sleep at night - this is NOT for you. I do NOT advise staying here if you are older than 18...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

We chose to stay because we were fascinated by the buidling. The rooms are fine, but be ready to climb a lot of stairs. While the service was friendly, it wasn't entirely helpful. Perhaps if you are fluent in French you will have better luck.

Etretat was definitely worth putting on our itinerary. It's a neat town with typical architecture and a gorgeous coast line. We ate dinner at the hotel's restaurant (the rest of the town seemed dead at night) and it was very good. They are into the sustainable, local, organic food theme.

Here's a tip for parking: there is a municipal parking lot behind the gift shop building with the clock tower. You just need to pay for parking through 7 PM, then you can leave your car overnight. But then you have to go back out before 9 AM to pay for a new ticket if you are staying later.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vicsite
Reviewed May 26, 2009

First of all, the service wasn't very good as I wasn't greeted with a "hello" when they answered the phone when I made my reservation. I just kept hearing people talking in the background when they finally got to talk to me. It wasn't extremely friendly but it was acceptable. We booked by phone as I said and when we arrived, we had the surprise to get a room with no shower or bath. However, the room was less expansive because of that. Our room was small but looked nice. It was okay but nothing special. There was a minibar in the room but it was broken.

Now, I have seen another review about the Hotel des Falaises which is located on the other side of the street that claim that La Résidence is much better. Actually, my friend stayed there and spent some time in his room (in fact, we were using his shower as we didn't have one - there was one on the last floor but it was too cold). While, I won't go into much details about the other hotel, I can say that the interior (not the rooms) is nicer at des Falaises while the exterior is much better at the Résidence. Also, we have seen people working at La Résidence there and the opposite as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're both owned by the same person as the workers kept switching hotel. Actually, I'd say that both hotels are pretty much equivalent.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fantomg
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Situated in the very heart of Etretat, this charming old building provides an original and quirky place to stay, just steps from the seafront. We received a warm welcome and after depositing our luggage in a small but comfortable room we made our way down the creaking wooden staircase to the hotel's restaurant which was still open even though we had arrived quite late. A plus for all those arriving later on a Friday evening! The food was very good, and the bonus was that it was all organic and sourced locally and accompanied with the delightful sound of Queen! Our room was situated overlooking the town street, and although on the small side, was more than adequate for our needs, was clean and retained the original features and charm of the building. Whats more being slowly woken up to the sounds of seagulls in the morning provided the perfect wake up call for a relaxing weekend break. Breakfast served downstairs was good, but was perhaps not as plentiful as one could hope for. All in all, if you're looking for an original and affordable place to stay in a historical building without a great deal of luxury, then this is the place to go.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple