“It is Just not Possible”
Review of Chateau de Goville

Chateau de Goville
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This is a continuation from my review of Le Chateau de Sully. Background: Le Chateau de Sully “lost” our reservations and sent us to Chateau de Goville. From the outside, driving up, it looked like a quaint French country manner. Once inside we were reminded of maybe the set for the Adam’s Family. We were greeted by a young man that was wonderfully friendly and helpful, but he didn’t actually work there and had just shown up to check us in while the proprietors were away for the afternoon. We were shown to our rooms which were crammed with “stuff” from the past 100 or so years and I suppose had significant meaning to someone, somewhere for some reason. The place reminded us of a Grandparent’s house where you would go as kids and love it, but not a place for traveling adults touring the French countryside. Oh well not to worry, off we went to score some wine. Hard to believe, but we had a difficult time finding a place to purchase wine. Were we not in France, how hard can this be? We did find some wine and headed back to the Chateau. The girls stopped by our rooms and the boys headed to the parlor to crack open the wine. Five minutes later one of the owners jumped out from behind one of the many “props” and scolded us about drinking wine in France. At first we thought he was kidding, but he was not. The translation we figured out was that we could not drink wine in the parlor of this Chateau. It is not possible, it is not possible scolded the proprietor. Being the resilient folks we were, we just retired to our rooms and drank all the wine we wanted just like first year college students. I won’t bore you with all the other interesting tidbits of the stay, as there were many and we laughed about this the whole trip. Sometimes it’s not the good things that make an adventure memorable; it’s those memories on the fringe. As a parting note I will mention one last thing. As my wife and I sat at the front desk on the morning of departure, the owner was having a conversation in French with a French couple that was checking out. Interestingly enough he was discussing our episode of drinking wine in the parlor thinking we could not understand. We did understand pieces and parts and were appalled at his audacity. Well, in the end I guess we should not have been shocked. Bottom line, is there are probably better places to stay in the area. I would not recommend this spot.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank KYCATS13

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at Goville. The owners are very nice and polite. I love the fact that there was no wi-fi, it was great to be so removed from daily life. The Chateau was what we expected, a grand countryside home. The rooms are spacious, beautifully decorated and unique. The doll house collection is charming, as well as the music room and the beautiful park. Having breakfast in the room every morning looking outside at the roses was one of the best parts of our stay in Normandy. The breakfast was very good! The location is perfect to visit Normandy very close to great restaurants, the beaches and just a charming drive from Mont Saint Michel. I do not recommend this hotel for those who want and expect to have wi-fi, antique replicas, standard paintings on the wall and rooms that all look alike. We did a lot of research on the Chateaux and this seemed to be the most original and authentic.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Since the hotel is a bit of the road and has a big garden around it you're very private. Owners are very helpfull and we had a special easter package with breakfast in the room and at arrival we got champagne and finger food. I was scared since I read some bad reviews regarding this hotel but I was positively suprised. The location of the hotel is great when you want to do day trips in Normandy. Mont Saint Michel is about an hour driving away, Bayeux is about 10 minutes and Omaha Beach about 20 minutes away. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GvP13
Reviewed October 8, 2010

My husband and I were really looking forward to our three nights in a French Chateau, and were sadly disappointed. On the surface and from a distance, the property is beautiful and charming. Our host/owner, though, was neither; up close or from a distance. There is much delayed maintenance and we had large water-mold stains on the ceiling of our room. We chose a larger room, but had to deal with a bathtub you could only sit in with your knees to your chin! We were the only guests staying there for 2 nights, but our host was quite inconvenienced with us there at all. We sincerely felt that he was in the wrong business, and dearly needed to retire. He was good at making dinner reservations, which we appreciated. My husband could not wait to leave.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MaryLoehr
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Charming, but run down and overpriced.

This is more a grand house than a chateau. The owners suffer from acute snobism, boasts about his/her family and the people that slept in the place. In the meantime you can hear your neighbors every move and syllable - so that no matter if the Duc d'Orleans slept there, you will not. The bathroom was run down. Well, in all fairness, the basics did work (hot water, toilet) - and if this were your grandparents country estate, you would love it, run-down and all. But it isn't. It is a hotel. With paying guests. They should fix stuff.

And put in WIFI for crying out loud.

On the plus side: the staff are very charming and polite and the place does ooze charm.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2007

Its a 10 minute drive out of Bayeux but a charming place to stay. The host and his cousin are wonderful and made us feel at home. The history and ambiance are wonderful. Thanks for the memories.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank CherryGrower
Reviewed October 30, 2007

I'd agree with all the good reviews here but I do have a couple of problems. Not deal-breakers, but just problems.
1. Probably because of the time of year, the place had a lot of lazy big black flies about. I could usually shoo most of them out an open window. The problem was apparently caused by the mgt leaving a couple of windows open to air the room out after dailing cleaning.
2. The room was *spotlessly* cleaned every day EXCEPT up in one corner was a spider web with about 12 big black flies in it. Pretty ugly, and could have been taken care of with a long broom or vacuum.
3. They asked if we wanted cheese and ham with breakfast (which was very good). When we checked out, there was a DAILY supplement of about $20 per day for this which we hadn't understood at all. I just let it go, but someone on a budget would be wounded by that.
Otherwise, the people were nice, the grounds were lovely, the location great, and the room was clean--even clean sheets daily.
I'd go there again, but not accept the kind offer of the cheese/ham. You will find eating in the Bayeaux area that you are cheesed out in a few days anyway..

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Chateau de Goville? Share your experiences!