“Magnificent Manor!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Courtils
Fort Worth, Texas
“Magnificent Manor!”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This manor was magnificent. From the road, you enter a long drive lined with shade trees and the magnificent manor covered in ivy is in the midst of gardens and flowers in the distance. My room overlooked the front gardens and the Mont St. Michel in the distance ~ picturesque! I had a peaceful experience, and the food was absolutely the best of all my travels through France. This is a 'must-see' for all who travel to Mont St. Michel or the Normandy region. The staff was extremely helpful and went out of their way to anticipate my needs and accommodate me.

Room Tip: I did not access the fitness center but may do so the next time. My room was on the second floor fa...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Shelburne, Vermont
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This hotel was overpriced. The staff was not helpful or courteous. The bathroom was outdated. From the bathroom window we viewed an old trailer just beneath the window and miscellaneous rusting junk in the back yard. Stepping in or out of the old bath tub to shower was dangerous. The bed mattress offered no support and the bed was large enough for 2 small children. We requested that a medication be refrigerated. After trying to rest before dinner, we realized we would not be able to sleep the coming night because we rolled into the center of the mattress. We asked for another room which was much more expensive. That room looked like a room at a deeply discounted motel. Though we could not afford to lose the money, we decided to check out. At that point we learned that the medication had never been refrigerated. The management would not consider a refund because the housekeeper had just left for the day. Their attitude about everything was unpleasant.

Room Tip: Just don't go.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank romacinvt

Travelers are raving about these Courtils hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This hotel should not even have a star. It is outdated. I live in the States but was raised in France. This hotel reminded me when I was traveling with my parents in the 70s, and maybe 60s. The manor is pretty from the outside and the reception but as soon as you climb those little tiny stairs, you got the picture. Extremely tiny rooms and bedrooms. in our friends room, the toilet seat was not even attached properly!! I guess it would be ok if you were paying 50 euros max for this type of room for a bedroom but the issue is tha you are paying 156 euros, you think you are going in a three star hotel and you have nothing for that price. We even paid for the view on Le Mont Saint Michel and honestly, we got a view on the roof. We did not even want to spend money for breakfast there.

Room Tip: Don't bother to go and paying for the view is a waste of our money.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne A
London
Reviewed June 6, 2013

This hotel could have it all but it doesn't. Mont San Michel is one of France's most popular tourist destinations, and the option of staying locally so you can visit it early morning is a wise choice. Le Manoir de La Roche Torin is a good option because of its location and it offers wonderful views of the island at sun down. It is however very expensive for what it is, rooms are quite tired and the restaurant is very much old school french with little to write home about. I think perhaps this hotel trades on its location but it could offer so much more. There's great potential if only a little investment was made. The charm is not fully lost.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rosemontjd
Fremont, California
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I feel this hotel is overpriced. It is close to The Mont and we requested the room with a view, which was nice. The room is older. The hotel is a bit noisey. Music late at night and footsteps from the room above. It has a nice location, 8 km from the mont with green grassy fields. The restaurant is okay, though a bit overpriced We were surprised to see a number of other options nearby for 1/3 the price. It is worth something to be able to see the mont from the room at sunset and at sunrise.

Room Tip: request view of Mont San Michel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a timeless sort of place, so the fact that I stayed here nearly 30 years ago may not matter much, especially as I read the other reviews written recently. If you're looking for modern conveniences, top notch service or impeccable mattresses and amenities, then you probably won't enjoy this old world wonder. I was in my early 20's when I first stayed in LMRT and I'll never forget the experience. After touring the Normandy area, my business associates and I got rather lost trying to find this place in the dark (it was November) and the roads are narrow and not especially lit up or overly marked. At one point, we had stopped to look at our map and I glanced out the window and saw the sign for the hotel pointing down a long lane. Minutes later, we stepped out of the car to be greeted by this old world edifice unlike any place I'd ever stayed at that point. We arrived in time for a late supper and a chance to watch the locals (get this) reruns of Dallas (remember JR Ewing) in the hotel TV lounge. My room was tiny and at the top of the stairs and I absolutely loved it. Yes, the details were a bit worn, the bed less than perfect, but when I woke in the morning to see Mt. St. Michel across the fields, it was an unforgettable experience. This isn't the sort of place you stay for the quality of the amenities, it's a place you stay for the unforgettable experience of stepping back in time to a lodging experience out of the past. I was really sad that we only stayed there one night. If you're into big screen TV's and air conditioning, that's your call and I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding such places in town. But over the years, I have been very privileged to stay in other small hotels/B&B's that were converted old manor houses in places such as Scotland, England, Italy and Germany. Just like my brief but memorable stay at LMRT, I wouldn't trade those experiences for staying in a modern hotel for ANYTHING.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Justin_Donie
Pasadena, California
Reviewed December 24, 2012

While the location is peaceful, the hotel is old and worn out. When we visited in September, 2012, the restaurant was closed at night. Our room was very small and the bed not very comfortable. If you're going to stay over night, stay in one of the newer hotels near Mont St. Michel. But I wouldn't bother staying, or even getting out of the car. Just look at the Mont from a distance before the crowds and the tourist shlock ruin it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AIS45
Also consider these accommodations in or near Courtils
Hotel Gabriel
#3 of 16 in Mont-Saint-Michel
La Digue
La Digue
#9 of 16 in Mont-Saint-Michel

Been to Le Manoir de la Roche Torin? Share your experiences!