“Wonderful welcome and care” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Mas de Barbut

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saint-Laurent-d'Aigouze
Le Mas de Barbut
“Wonderful welcome and care”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

We returned here for a 2nd year - the welcome is wonderful - greeted with a drink. We ate locally this year and Jean Claude drove us there and picked us up. The Mas is traditional beautiful old France. We love the breakfast and were very very comfortable. Nothing is too much trouble and for us as cyclists at the end of the day that is so so welcome

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

this mas is everything we dreamed of: quite beautiful, in fact stunning. the pictures do not do justice to it. the courtyard and pool are perfect, the bedrooms are charming, and the bathrooms spotless.
the Mas has been in the family for generations, so the rooms are full of lovely ornaments.
Jean-Claude was the genial host, who provided delicious breakfast al fresco and could not have been more hospitable with excellent recommendations for the area. Danielle said she couldn't speak english but shamed our terrible franglais.
our dinners in Aigues Mortes were memorable and the beach is not to be missed.
we will certainly go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank orthorobodoc
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

It is worth going to the Camargue just to stay in the Mas de Barbut. Seriously.

The original character of the old winery and home, brought into this century with a sophisticated attention to detail and comfort, is what first hit us. Quality, flair and style in everything – the rooms, the indoors areas to relax in, the terraces, the pool side, the food. Plus peace and quiet everywher e. In amongst all this is the charm and warm welcome from Danielle and Jean-Claude, people who clearly enjoy life, which washed over us and drew us in without in any way being invasiv e. A real anti-dote to stress. They can also be relied on for 100% trustworthy advice on whatever you are looking for in the area. There are a handful of places we would go back to in the world. This is one of them.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

This B&B is an extraordinary experience. The hosts, Danielle and Jean-Claude, are warm-hearted persons who offered upon our arrival rosé wine in their romantic frontyard. We followed their restaurant advices which were perfectly matching to our desires and needs of local cuisine.

The spacious room we stayed is called "Cupidon" and is lovely decorated in a romantic french style.

We will never forget our stay at Danielle's and Jean-Claude's Mas Barbut!

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

Jean-claude is a gracious host with a wonderful character. The mas is beautiful and tucked away in an out of the way place but within easy reach of the beautiful surrounding countryside. Lovely, we will return.

• Stayed August 2011
Hertford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2011

I visited Le Mas de Barbut with a girlfriend for a week of relaxing. This wonderful B&B couldn't have been better.

The location is fantastic; only 30 minutes from Montpellier airport, 20 minutes from the coast, 10 minutes from the stunning town of Aigues Mortes and around 40 minutes from Nimes. A car is essential as there are lots of wonderful places to visit and whilst it's tempting to spend your entire trip lying by the pool and gorging on Rose wine, bread, cheese and some of the wonderful fruit from the roadside sellers it would be a shame not to get out and about and explore.

Personally, whilst Nimes and Aigues Mortes should be on your list of day trips, my favourite trip was a visit to the regional market in Sommières which is about 25 minutes from St Laurent d-Aigouze and straddles the River Vidourle. We did not visit the Castle in Sommieres, which is recommended by guide books, as we got seriously distracted by the Brocante where there are a few 'Antique' bargains to be had (very good for vintage linen) but the wonderful medieval streets are enchanting and the restaurants serving oysters also looked very appealing.

It's worth noting that this region is still associated with bull fighting and whilst I appreciate that, that is not to everyone's liking it is well worth going to one of the local bull runs where young bulls are herded through the streets by horseman and then sold in an auction ring. It's a thrilling spectacle and one that draws all the locals to whichever town it's happening in.

Now back to Le Mas. Firstly the warm and terribly French welcome you receive from the owners who've managed to strike the perfect balance between welcoming you to their home but allowing you enough space to make you feel as if you're staying in a small hotel. They could not have been more helpful; happily providing maps, bonhomie, cigarettes and the odd glass of rose when required!

The room we stayed in was stunning 'La Chambre Provencale'. Beautifully decorated with antiques without being overtly frilly ( a horrible trend in British B&Bs), super shower room and a lovely balcony. There was plenty of room for two of us with a massive wardrobe which is essential for a girl who doesn't grasp the concept of travelling light! You may want to avoid travelling with a huge suitcase (like me); there's ample parking at Le Mas but the stairs up to our room were steep and you may struggle to lug your 20kg of dresses and shoes up them! I slept extremely well but I suspect this was due to enthusiastic consumption of the local wine. I was actually on a sleigh bed whilst my friend got the proper bed. It could have been more comfortable but no bed is like home!

The swimming pool was wonderful and the large kitchen by the pool is perfect if you want to prepare your own lunch or supper. Be warned if you are expecting pristine cleanliness Mas de Barbut does not offer it, it is shabby chic at it's best. I loved it but if you are the sort who gets squemish about a speck of dust this isn't for you.

Breakfast was served in the Courtyard between the main house and the large building that I assume was once a barn but now houses the guest kitchen and a wonderful 'hall' that provides a fantastic place to lounge if you are after some shade. I suspect that the huge fire place also makes this a very cosy retreat in the winter. Breakfast was simple; bread, jams, croissant, fruit and boiled eggs.

Trust me you will not anything else for breakfast as the regional food is very good. My friend is vegetarian and whilst the local meat, particularly the Toro (beef), is very good the vegetable dishes are fabulous especially the tapenades and roasted aubergines and peppers. Given the proximity to the Coast there is also lots of good fish available and I understand the area is renowned for Oysters. There are lots of good restaurants in Aigues Mortes although the less touristy ones aren't cheap (£40 upwards a head, including wine). The local rose wine is excellent, very light and it's perfectly possible to consume in vast quantaties without getting a hangover. You can buy good, local wine for around £3 at any of the supermarkets of which there are plenty.

In addition to the supermarkets which offer the usual range of delicious french food (wonderful goat's cheese) it's also well worth buying fruit from the roadside sellers many of whom sell produce that they've grown themselves in the orchards behind their stand. The figs, in particular are delicious and at around 20p each it's hard not to gorge.

If you get the opportunity I'd also suggest that you join the owners for an evening meal. We were lucky enough to be invited one night and it was wonderful although my dreadful French probably meant I was a dull companion for my French neighbour. The food was delicious and the wine and conversation (much nodding and smiling on my part) flowed.

I could go on but I hope you get the impression that I was very, very impressed with this wonderful B&B. I am not easily pleased and I have a natural aversion to B&Bs (fostered by too many nights in British B&Bs with dominerering owners, too much lace, air freshener and shag pile carpets) but I would definitely return to Le Mas de Barbut and I have recommended it to several friends.

Thank you for a wonderful stay. Je retournerai!

Room Tip: They are all lovely!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

I can honestly say that I have never stayed anywhere more lovely, authentic, friendly: frankly perfect. The owners are so charming and helpful, the place itself is idyllic - in the middle of nowhere so it's really quiet, but 5 minutes drive and you're at a supermarket, another couple of minutes and you're in the village of St Laurent and another 10 mins and you're at Aigues-Mortes, a more picture perfect town you couldn't hope to find, full of great restaurants. Then of course there's the amazing, vast beach which never seems to feel like there are many people on it so you get your own bit of paradise without the crowds. It's also only 30 mins from Montpellier airport (which is so easy to use it's like travelling used to be) so easy peasy to get to. Even in mid-August there aren't too many people on the roads which is bliss.

There are only a few rooms, each one a different style, full of antiques, incredibly chic and super comfortable. You feel like you're staying in someone's incredibly elegant home but you have the privacy of being apart from the house itself. The breakfasts are delicious, and you sit outside in the courtyard under a fig tree and in the evening can sometimes dine beneath the twinkly lights.

The pool's lovely too - very natural looking and quiet - there's never more than about 8 people there but if you want to chat to people, it's very friendly. Equally, there's no obligation to, you can really be alone if you want.

There aren't many places I go back to more than once because there's so much of the world i haven't seen yet but this was my second visit and I'm already working out when I can get a third one in!

Room Tip: They're all different so check out the website and just see what takes your fancy.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Laurent-d'Aigouze
Hotel des 4 Vents
#5 of 23 in Aigues-Mortes
Le Mas Des Brune
Le Mas Des Brune
#8 of 23 in Aigues-Mortes

Been to Le Mas de Barbut? Share your experiences!