“disappointing”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having seen other peoples glowing reports I was looking forward to eating here. The surroundings are lovely , excellent ambiance, friendly courteous service , food reasonably disappointing and not as good as other less expensive, local restaurants, and sadly, horrendously expensive,
The duck was correctly cooked but the sauce on it was far, far too sweet and the creme catalan were not correct as they had fruit inside which we were not informed of which also makes them some kind of tart , not a creme catalan.
We probably wont return as there is a good choice of alternative places to eat.

1  Thank nigel p
There are newer reviews for Hostellerie du Grand Duc

Reviewed September 20, 2013

This lovely former forge-manager's house is situated in the valley above ch. Puilaurens/Lapradele in Aude. The location has much to offer to the industrial archaeologist in the way of old smelting forges, a fast-flowing river, good interpretation and even a garage where classic cars are restored. But the main attraction is the lovely, family-owned and run Hostellerie du Grand Duc - named after the largest of Europe's owls (one of which adorns the restaurant, stuffed not free-flying!). Food here is based on local cuisine but with much added flair. Bruno Bruchet has won many awards and his wife, Martine presides over immaculate service. This is a place to savour local and regional cooking with a difference. Not too formal yet comfortably relaxed service complements some excellent and imaginative cooking. Highly recommended after several visits.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We've been staying in the beautiful Aude for the past twenty years, and this restaurant consistently gives us the best meal of the holiday (and, believe me, we like our food and are really choosy!).

The Hostellerie - which is, I believe, a Logis de France - lies a few miles up a side road past the Cathar Chateau de Puilaurens. If you want to visit the Castle, I suggest that you do so on the way - you may not feel up to it after one of their lunches; it's not that the lunches are vast, they are not, but my word they're good.

Monsieur and his daughter do the cooking, which is beautifully judged and imaginative even when the place isn't busy. There's not much point in telling you about the menu, which of course changes, but always really good, and charmingly served by the son-in-law Jeremy, while Madame keeps a fierce but friendly eye on everything. The setting is gorgeous, with a beautiful terrace with fountain for the fine weather and an elegant dining-room if it's a bit chilly.

I see that the cheese trolley (note board, please note!) has already attracted favourable mention, and it is simply superb. I have never seen one to equal it even in restaurants at double the price. If you're ever down that way (and, as Michelin has it, 'il vaut le voyage'), give yourself a treat and have a meal here.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The food at this gem of a place is fantastic - I had never eaten hare before, and the wine list featuring the local wines the best we came across on our trip - we were offered rare aperitifs that are practically imossible to find in France, let alone England!
The sleepy old village is like somewhere time forgot, and we would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank victoria s
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was a fantastic find after a vist to nearby chateau puilaurens. We had a superb set menu lunch and then later in the week returned for an evening meal. The setting is superb with the possibility to eat in the garden and the menu had superb choice with fantastic value. For lunch my wife and I had all of the options for the different courses and they were all superb. The cheese trolley was a particular highlight was numerous options and fantastic advice and information from the waiter. The dessert choice suggested by Madame was also a success. The evening meal was another triumph with the beef cheeks and pigeon fantastic. My wife loves lavender ice cream and she got a superb dessert with four boules and I had the chefs last sin which was also brilliant.
The service was exceptional with the wine advice exempolary.
A return visit is in the cards with a stay at the hotel also hopefully likely.

1  Thank kevin p