“heaven on the beach”

Ranked #140 of 169 Hotels in Zanzibar Island
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“heaven on the beach”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Stayed in Sunset beginning of July for 5 nights, We had an amazing time. Basic but comfortable clean rooms, amazing beach where you can swim day and night, good restaurant with good friendly service and tasty food. Breakfast is a bit poor. Would go back tomorrow if I could.

Room Tip: When you consider the time you spend in your room, it doesn't really matter if you stay on the c...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Czech first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in the beginning of June. They started quoting the high season price as it just turned high season. We disagreed and got the room for the lowseason price. We stayed in a Fan Bungalow with our own bathroom at the courtyard on top of the cliff. The bed was very comfortable, the shower was warm and they cleaned the room every day.
Breakfast is the usual egg, toast and fruit but you can refill your coffee/tea and juice as many times as you like. The menu at the bar/ restaurant has something for everyone and they also served some local food. Staff is very friendly.
There are some nice hammocks and a beachvolleybal net and they have a massage banda just next to the restaurant.
Had a good time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We landed on the beach in Kenwda after taking a dhow across from the mainland. The Sunset Bungalows are in a great location but there is just no character and even in low season the front desk was unwilling to reduce the price at all. We paid $90 for an air conditioned room on the beach level. The room was large and so was the bathroom but how much luggage do you have at the beach? The upper rooms were out of the question because we had a two year old with us and the railings on the balconies and the steep concrete stairs to the upper part of the property were too unsafe. The restaurant was very pricy and not very good.

The beach area in Kendwa is better suited for singles than families as the bars and activities set up on the beach make you feel as though you could be in South Florida on spring break.

By walking up the beach a short distance (in low tide) we found Nungwi Inn which reduced their price to $65/night for a smaller air conditioned room closer to the beach. It also had a more local feel to it and we greatly enjoyed the beach and the restaurant at Nungwi Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms on beach level would be convenient but only if you don't mind noise from the beach bars an...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mosses_Taretoy
Gitarama, Muhanga, Rwanda
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I had to leave early because money was stolen from the 'safe' in my room. You may think this is not possible but in addition to having a code, each safe has a master key. The master keys are kept in a transparent plastic bag on the table in the office. Anyone can have access to them.
When I spoke to the manager he showed no surprise or empathy. I could even believe it was a scam.
I had paid in advance and had no money left for food or drink for the rest of the week so I had no alternative but to leave. I asked for my money to be refunded for the nights I could not stay and returned to Stonetown to change my flight. I was in Zanzibar for a total of 4 days only.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Tricia A

Travelers are raving about these Zanzibar Island hotels

Laramie, Wyoming
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Before I get into the reviews on the Beach Bungalow heaven, I am holding true to my promise to the restaurant owner (this is the restaurant in front of the bungalows on the beach) that I will write every bad review I can about him and his shady restaurant business. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT give that man your business. He is a horrid and rude person and is NOT someone that should operate a restaurant...or a business of any form, really. The portions are small and this place charges an ungodly amount of money for the food you get. Plus, my husband and I ordered hot tea to accompany our dinner and without ANY warning of any kind they charged $7,000.00 TZN PER CUP!!!! For so many reasons EXCLUDING his rudeness we were insulted due to the following 1.) We visited during the rainy (low) season and he should have been grateful for ANY business he got (we were maybe 2 of 10 people at that whole side of the beach at this time) 2.) Tea was free of charge literally EVERYWHERE else we visited in Africa and as it turned out, was ALSO FREE IN THE MORNING AT THIS RESTAURANT 3.) They charged us that amount for NOT A POT OF TEA....but a SMALLLL tea cup with a tea bag in it. 4.) They wouldn't even discuss changing the bill (we offered to pay $7,000.00 for both cups which is STILL A RIP OFF 5.) The tea wasn't even the GOOD African Pride tea and 6.) The owner is a real piece of work and is a complete jerk off and treats his workers poorly and also, from what we observed, the folks at ScubaDo poor as well. He is a monster and if I can encourage you to do so, when you head to the beach, take a right and head down the beach that way. There is a quaint lil' place called Les Toits de Palme that is also on the beach and serves the most delicious food (especially SEAFOOD...YUMMY) with bigger portions. Just for example, I ordered grilled calamari with rice and a veggi and it was $8,000.00 TZN (please recognize that this is a mere $1,000.00 more for a full entree THAN FOR TEA AT THAT CRAPHOLE Sunset Restaurant and for this meal there, it was literally $19,000.00 TZN you pay for smaller portions) and MY OH MY was it yummy!! It was so great that we ventured down the beach to eat at Les Toits de Palme for lunch and dinner for the next 3 days of our stay. You will NOT regret it and your wallet (and belly) will be fatter and happier haha.

Alright, enough with my tangent on the restaurant and for the rating of the Bungalows themselves....heaven on earth. The bungalows on the beach are nice! We went during the low season so I asked for a cheaper price. We ended up paying $65 USD/night but I think one could get them down to $55 or $60 USD if they bartered well enough. The linens were clean as was the room, the AC felt SOOOO good and we even got a little chilly at night! There was plenty of hot water for my husband and I to both shower. There was also a blow dryer in the bathroom available to use if needed. One thing some folks night not like is the ants that can get through the door; they were not a HUGE problem by any means but you will see a few of them crawling around. I really enjoyed my time on the porch that goes with any bungalow also. The beach itself was breathtaking and I have never seen such astonishing sunsets! There is internet available next door at ScubaDo if it is needed for a small fee. Overall, a pretty nice place on the beautiful Kendwa Beach. I would recommend staying here but be sure to price around (especially during the low season) as you might be surprised at the discount prices you will get offered from other places and may get a bigger bang for your buck.

PS: REMEMBER, DO NOT EAT AT THE SUNSET RESTAURANT!!!!!!!

Room Tip: You have to go down quite a few steps to get on the beach if you stay in the apartments so take that...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Kelsey T
Antananarivo, Madagascar
Reviewed June 15, 2012

This place is really great value for money. We stayed there in the low season so there were plenty of rooms available without reservation and you could get a good deal.
The staff were really helpful, especially the guys at the reception, they helped us with the adapters, charged our batteries etc...
Location is great, the beach is one of most beautiful beaches in Zanzibar and there's always something going on like beach volleyball, parties, sunset cruise etc... or if you can go scuba diving (two companies available on site), snorkeling, kite surfing etc...
If I ever go back to Zanzibar I will gladly go back to Sunset Bungalows.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JBlaze2
melbourne
Reviewed May 21, 2012

had an amazing stay at this hotel..after minor hiccup where didnt have our booking we were given room on the hill and then moved to beach...staff were helpful and friendly and the resort was great. Food was good and views amazing. Try and speak some swahili and it will be really appreciated. Water is like swimming in a bath and sunsets with a cocktail on the beach to die for.

Room Tip: try for rooms on the beach
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family