Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$384
Agoda.com
$252
$227
TripAdvisor
Ocean Paradise Resort & Spa(Kiwengwa)(Great Value!)
$147
  • Pool
$79
$64
  • Breakfast included
Baraza Resort & Spa(Bwejuu)
$681
$202
$116
$95
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfull moon partystone townlaid backwater sportsscuba divinglow seasonamazing placeindian oceanbeachbandazanzibarafricabackpackerssunsetsandusdhut
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Not sure if this was just the time I went or if people had similar experiences. Kendwa rocks is beautifully located on a lovely relaxing white beach. There are parties in alternative bars every night which is great for the young traveller. BUT I went with friends a room of 4 cost 70 dollars. We were trying to go as budget as possible but were suprised that for this money we got shared toilets and showers. These were in a terrible condition and I didn't want to use them so I ended up showering in the beach shower, and I'm a camper so I'm used to really bad toilets and showers! Apart from this the beautiful location made it worthwhile and is was only one hour away from stone town so a good break before you end your holidays. The included breakfast was nice but the restaurants around the beach are extortionate and the little town which you can walk through in 2 minutes doesn't offer anything much cheaper but one fish restaurant was particularly nice. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: Don't get the cheapest ones!
Reviewed January 3, 2014

I've been looking at some of these reviews on this site and ive noticed that most people like to focus on minor problems and they blow them up out of proportion! I was at Kendwa Rocks a couple days ago and it was absolutely incredible. The new years party was crazy! there were over 2000 people there and it was a blast, the food was great, service could have been a little better but nothing that really bothered me. The beach was stunning, best ive ever seen and ive been traveling for years now, i will surely come back again. Amazing place, highly recommend it to all fun loving souls!

Room Tip: As close to the beach as possible, the sunset is best seen there and its closer to the restaurant.
2  Thank Haon2099
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Had a great time at Kendwa - food incl. breakfast was good, as were cocktails.
I stayed in the dorm which was great - lots of space, right next to showers, comfy beds.
Beach is beautiful and plenty of sun beds.
Only issue - 17$ is a bit steep for a dorm however it included breakfast and is the cheapest you will find on the beautiful beach

Reviewed December 27, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in December 2013 in Kendwa Rocks.

Room - We had the best room as location on Kendwa Rocks. We had the Beach Hut, it was a very nice room with a big patio/veranda. The patio/veranda had 2 comfy chairs, 2 deckchairs and a hammock. The bedroom was nice too, with mosquito nets and a fridge, safe and telephone. The bathroom consisted of a sink, shower and bath. But the bath had the bottom broken and could not keep the water. A cleaner cleaned the room nicely everyday, with clean shower towels and beach towels.

Telephone issues - I kept having phone issues, my dad used to call me every day and the reception used to just hang up on him or by telling him call later (like for 5 consecutive times!). I used to call reception and ask them why they are not putting my dad through to my room. After my angry calls to reception, they would then pass my dad to the room.

Internet - Internet for a week cost us EUR40. The signal is not very good from the room, but from the beach works perfect. The downside is that they let only 1 machine connect at 1 time with 1 account - so my boyfriend and myself couldn't connect simultaneously. I think they should at least let 2 machine connections per account for EUR40! If you want free internet, go to a restaurant a few resorts down the beach called La Grande Luna and they offer free WiFi if you eat or drink from the place. The food there is very good too.

Breakfast - breakfast was ok. The same everyday but ok. This consisted of a plate of fruit followed by eggs, sausage, pancake, toast, tomatoe and small piece of cake. Coffees and juices also available.

Food - The food was good with average prices and large menu selection.

Cocktails - Cocktails are very good too and made with fresh fruits. Price of a cocktail is around EUR4.

Money - You do not use money anywhere in the resort. The hotel provides you with a card with a limit of TSH300,000. Once the limit is used up, you go and pay the card at reception and balance comes to zero again with a new balance. Please note that reception take your passport as guarantee against the card.

Beach - The beach is beautiful and I think that Kendwa Rocks offers the most chilled out beach environment, with a large number of comfy beds and deckchairs with wooden big umbrellas. Security Guards are located within the resort's beach and we never found anything missing from our beds. Be aware from the beach boys once you are out of the resort's beach limit since they hassle people alot. Just ignore them.

Location of resort - the resort is in a very good location. With a number of resorts on either side so you can just go for a walk and find a large number of restaurants and bars. Also, the other beautiful Nungwi beach is only about 5 minutes by taxi from resort.

Taxis - Do not use taxis offered by beach boys. We made friends with a taxi owner (taxis just outside resort) and we kept using same taxi for the whole 2 weeks. Much cheaper then getting taxi from hotel or from beach boys.

Full Moon Party - If you do not want to go to the Full Moon Party, do not get a room close to the beach. The (full) sound goes on until 5 in the morning and I literally could not sleep until the party was over. It sounds like the party is exactly outside your bedroom window! We had to cancel the next day tour due to not being able to sleep!! Do not even think about reporting the sound, they know it's a nuisance to clients and they keep on doing it every month. I tried getting another room just for the night, but they didn't have available.

Tours you do not want to miss! Do visit Chumbe Island - it is amazing. We also did the Mnemba tour & Blue Safari tour. Cheaper to book on your own directly with tour organizers through internet. We saw a few dolphins nearly every day, so not really worth doing the dolphin tour.

We asked the taxi to take us to a bank on the 1st day before going to the resort. We changed all our money to TSH and paid everything in TSH. The money will serve you longer. We did not pay anything by credit card since they charge alot.

Room Tip: We had the best room in the whole resort!! It was the Beach Hut named Kiwayuu. Exactly in the middle of the beach with a sizeable patio/veranda.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TinaMartins
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Where to start! 4 nights here was not enough, and I'm not even a beachy person!

Accommodation - I stayed in the dorm (13 beds) for $17. They weren't bunks, just singles. They were comfortable and all had mosquito nets on them. The dorm itself was huge and there were three wet rooms just outside the bedroom. Very clean, and every bed had it's own safe (remember to take a padlock). The beds are made up every day and towels are provided.
The whole hotel area was beautiful!

Food- delicious complimentary breakfast each morning with eggs, sausage, tomato, fruit plate, pancake and some pastries of some variety! This filled me up so much I never ate lunch. Dinners were great, pizazz and pasta. Friends who had seafood said it was great!
Happy hour from 3-7: cocktails for about $4, what more could anyone want!?

Beach- absolutely beautiful! I could, and did, lie on the beach all day every day! They have many sun beds under shade for guests to sit on. Whilst there are beach boys walking up and down all day long along the beach,, calling out to people, they do not walk onto the hotel grounds, and the hotel has security all day. I would leave my bag on a sunchair whilst I went swimming. Beach boys would only hassle on the walk between hotel grounds to the waters edge.
The water was amaaaaazing! If you have your own snorkel you can actually snorkel around there and see a few fish!

Wifi- ridiculously expensive, it's a joke! I ended up sneaking next door to Sunset rocks (also a beautiful hotel with a great bar and restaurant. My friends had an incredible twin room there, I was very jealous!) and using the free wifi in their reception area.

Staff- very helpful. They will do everything they can to ensure you're comfortable and enjoying your stay.

Negatives- I didn't like the card system, as I prefer to pay for food and drinks in cash. Mainly because there are no ATMs outside of stone town so if I can't see my money going down I was worried I would over spend and not have enough to pay at the end.

Share taxi- you can get share taxis from Forodhani gardens from stone town to Kendwa. You can also get a share taxi back - great as it's $10 so you don't have to pay for a taxi alone, BUT, I wasn't expecting to have 3 locals crammed into the one seat with me after paying $10 for a 1 hour drive. It was too squished to even use a seatbelt.

I miss it and want to go back to Kendwa ASAP! (Or sunset rocks which is also very nice!)

Room Tip: Dorm was great, that's the only advice I have!
1  Thank Amanda P