“The best place to enjoy Indian Ocean!”

Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Absolutely unique location in the northern coast of Zanzibar. Kendwa Rocks bungalows are comfortable and beautiful, people working there are kind and always ready to welcoming you smiling, fresh fish and awesome sushi! Amazing sunsets can be admired from the bar while listening to relaxing music. Perfect landscape to enjoy either in couple or with friends. In a nutshell, great management in a great place! Next time I won't be missing the full moon party though!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Siggy80
There are newer reviews for Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Zanzibar is pretty chilled out place but if you want lil more than pure chilled out I guess Kendwa Rocks is a place where you can see a lil more action. The beach is superb, bar is great. When we got there our first room was not great at all, shower pressure horrendous but we then went to another room which had a good view and was pretty decent.

Kendwa Beach was my favourite in Zanzibar, Kendwa prices arent as high as the other places.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Generally a great place to stay. Right on the beach and great set up. What really ticked me off was having to pay for wifi. This is the only place I paid for wifi in a 7 week trip around Europe and Africa and it was not cheap ($60 for the week that I stayed). When I did pay I then realised how horribly slow it is. Very disappointed. The restaurant is pretty good but some meals are only average and not big enough to fill you up. I only experienced good service and meals were all out pretty quickly. Pretty good value for the price of rooms - I stayed in Zimbabwe room which was more than adequate at $60/night.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Kendwa Rocks markets itself as though its for backpackers; the service it provides is basic; but the prices are mid-to-upper-range. I found the reception staff incredibly sullen and unhelpful. There are a LOT of hidden charges which always annoys me- I'd rather they just charged an extra x amount and dropped the extra 'oh you have to pay for this and this and this' routine! The place is very noisy- really fun but not fab if you're trying to get some sleep. The restaurant is fantastic- such a good menu and really delicious food! The bar is really fun and the beach parties are ok.. the entertainment put on by the hotel was pretty bad but once the DJ started it was good!

So.. I wouldn't really recommend staying here. If you're looking for a dorm bed its probably the only one you'll find in Kendwa so you'll have to put up with it. If you're sharing a double room or something.. you might as well pay a little more and go next door to Sunset Bungalows which is what we did. It wasn't that much more than we were paying for Kendwa Rocks, but we actuyally got 5* service! The hotel is SO much better! (I'd still go to Kendwa Rocks for the food though..)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TanzTrip
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of July on a trip to Zanzibar. I'll start with the pros. This place is placed right on the beach, so you wake up, walk down some stairs and you're on this lovely white sandy beach, which leads to the restaurant/bar/breakfast place and the sea. It's beautiful. The tide stays high enough to swim all day, unlike some beaches along the East or West that you can't swim in during low tide.
There is a volleyball court, loads of sun loungers and bamboo beach huts and a massage tent where you get a full hour for 20,000 shillings (£8). Amazing.
The food was always delicious, even if the waiters and staff are on 'African time'. Sometimes your order is wrong, and don't bother sending it back because you'll be waiting ages for the replacement. But the slow service is worth it, seriously, they were the best meals I had in Zanzibar. Expect to pay 10,000 shillings upwards for meals, and there is no cheaper lunch menu.
Happy hour for cocktails is 3pm - 7pm, and they are lovely even if sometimes watered down. They charge 3,000 shillings for one during this time, and it's pretty damn good.
They also have a party every Saturday, and next-door Sunset Bungalows have one Friday which is fun, and I couldn't hear the noise from my room.

Cons. As I was travelling on my own I was paying $35 for this dingy little room. The dorm ($20 a night) was full when I booked, but I've heard it's fine. The room had two single beds with a fan and circle mozzie net. The door was locked by a bolt on the inside, and a bolt with padlock on the outside; I didn't have any problems but it didn't seem that secure. Bathrooms were shared 3 between 12 rooms and you could occasionally get hot water if you went at the right time.

I got a small shock from the very old looking plug socket when I was trying to charge my phone. Thankfully it wasn't in there at the time but I resorted to using the newer ones in the computer room after that!
Laundry is expensive, and the hotel lost one of my items, but kindly reimbursed me for the item (but not for the cost of initially washing it). I would suggest asking for a bucket and doing it yourself if you are travelling for a long time, otherwise leave it until you get home!
Unfortunately there are no ATM's at all in Nungwi or Kendwa that are free to withdrawer money from, and the hotel charge 6% for card payments! All transactions you do at the hotel (drinks, food, wifi etc...) are charged to a swipe card that you pay off on check out, so you kind of have to pay with a debit or credit card.

I've heard some of the other more expensive rooms are lovely, like the wooden bandas ($60/$70 for a double) or the beach lodges, but I just couldn't afford those. There's a lot to do, and snorkelling and diving trips can be arranged by the hotel which is good. I would stay here again but maybe with a friend to keep the room costs down!
Also beware of the "friendly" owners dogs, that are used to guard at night. While I was there a girl was bitten on her way from the party back to her room and had to go to hospital in Stone Town for an anti-rabies jab. Be careful!
All in all I did enjoy the relaxing time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank nicolalovesyou
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Kendwa Rocks is located bang on the beach, and has basic rooms which are very clean. The beach is very nice - gradual & soft white sand.
We were a group of three friends & stayed here on a friday & saturday. Friday there was a party at the resort next door & on saturday was the party at Kendwa Rocks. Both continued till the early hours. The music is loud, so not recommended for those seeking a good nights sleep on the weekend.
Food is tasty & well prepared. The buffet breakfast is pretty good. Seafood lovers will enjoy the stay - since there is a lot that they have, to offer. The bar serves nice cocktails... No cash at the bar or restaurant - they have a system of swiping a hotel card, which u need to settle while checking out.
You can also visit closeby islands for a cruise or to snorkel / scuba dive. Rather than doing this through the hotel, negotiate a good deal with locals (they will approach you as u walk on the beach) - because the hotel would cost you more !!
Apart from just being at the resort & enjoying the beach, there is nothing much you can do here... so this place is good if you looking to party & relax for three-four days.. and then you can probably move on to Stone Town or some other place in Zanzibar...

Room Tip: we stayed in the beach bungalow - it is the closest accomodation that you can get next to the beach
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed with our 3 kids here for 4 nights in African rooms. Nice and clean rooms, even thought it was a slight smell of mould in the air. Friendly staff, slow - but that's a part of the atmosphere. Our children loved the wonderful beach, with a variety of shells to pick and crystal clear water - this is the place to just relax and do nothing. In the evenings this was a place for young people, but that didn't really disturb us, it rather gives the place a lively touch! A place for relaxing, even though you somethimes feel kind of prisoned and have to stay inside the hotel area for safety. On the beach there are a lot of people trying to sell you stuff, but try if you try to communicate you can have a nice discussion or a good laugh from meeting these people with an open mind. Try Kendwa - you will problably love it!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family