“Horrible service”

Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel
usa
“Horrible service”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Stayed here as a solo female. My room was nice and clean, reception friendly, food good... but the horrible service from the wait staff (namely the female wait staff) ruined it for me. I came as a single female. I look nothing like a "mzungo" or European. It seemed like I was the only solo person there (and who looked like me) from what I can tell during the meals. I noticed they treated the European guests differently, with more respect, maybe because of their race or maybe because they came in groups. In any case, I felt like a zoo animal. They always sat me at the same table in the front, where the wait staff also gathered waiting for other guests. Each time I looked up I would find the staff just staring at me, the girls whispering, giggling and pointing at me. I know for a fact during their conversations they were flat out talking about me, repeating my order exactly, more giggling and pointing and whispering. What is this, grade school? And they got my order wrong every single time. They either brought the wrong thing out or just "forgot" something. My first dinner there was a 2 hour mess.

The crowd is quite younger, a party crowd. I just felt out of place here and definitely not welcome by the restaurant staff.

They need to retrain their wait staff and teach them something about customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank sauciehall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Arusha T
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Ive been to ZZB three times in the last 18 months and each time I stayed at Kendwa Rocks. Thats not saying its awesome... its about the location and the safety factor as a lone female traveller.

Ive stayed in all bar the lowest accomodation they offer. The Coral stone are perfect for couples who want to be romantic and the palm bandas are great for friends sharing. All have AC and I love the hammock hanging out the front of the palm bandas and the fact that they are on the sand.

The facilities are ageing but you still get a good deal and feel safe in your room and that your belongings are safe. When you arrive its through their rear carpark so not so welcoming - dont worry. Walk down and the reception is to your left these guys are not overly friendly but if you dealt with as many tourists as them per day id like to see if youd still be smiling. They will issue you with a credit card valid for the bar and restaurant - 1 passport will be kept in their safe as a deposit.

The restaurant and bar... the menu is great its the service that everytime i head butt the wall about. So my suggestion is go into the restaurant expecting slow service and you should be pleasently suprised. This third time Ive worked out who is the longterm staff and you can see them care for their customers where as the others roam around lost or pretend they cant see you. The bar staff well... i ordered a cocktail and the cup came back halffull and tasted nothing like a mojito. Normally Id let it go but for the price and on principal I returned the drink only for the guy to be rude. I could see it would ruin our night so I dropped it and just decided that drinks from sunset bungalows down the beach were much yummier and affordable.

But ignore that - you want to be somewhere safe this is it. The beach is the reason you have come and its not tide dependant. You even have security guards keeping the touts and beach boys back behind an invisible line. Just ignore the beach boys they will say ANYTHING to get you to talk - be a mute :) Sex tourism is huge here as you will notice so female travellers please be aware.

Beutiful strolls up and down both ends of this beach. Be aware of the sea urchins along the coast - got my foot full of them in the last 30min of my stay :(

you will love kendwa and if you dont have time to fluff around pay the money and stay at kendwa rocks.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This place does not know what it is - it could be a great, laid back traveller place but seems to want to attract the high end resort market also. Great location, but the staff were fantastically rude at all times. We ended up having competitions to see who could get the rudest comment at breakfast in the end. Reccommend to stay on the front in bungalows - rooms at the back were a bit depressing and rather smelly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Hi, After spending one week on the mainland in Tanzania we decided to head to Zanzibar. I had been to Zanzibar before and had always fancied staying at Kendwa Rocks as the location is superb and the hotel looks very impressive.

We made a reservation before we left for one banda and one cottage but when we arrived we were shown to two dorms. We then pointed the mistake out to the receptionist and after a 10-15 minute debate, she finally realised that she was wrong when she checked our confirmation email and seen the rooms we had booked. We were then told that the rooms would not be ready for 45 minutes. This (we thought) wasnt a major problem as its a beautiful hotel with a a nice bar overlooking a stunning bay....we would just go and have a drink and relax while the rooms were made up. When we got down to the bar we sat around for 5-10 mintues before anyone even aknowledged us even though there was a huge amount of staff seemingly doing nothing. When we finally were served, the waitress walked over dragging her feet and just looked at us. We were starving and asked if we could have some breakfast... the time was 10am. We were told breakfast had finished at 10am and we could not eat or get food from anywhere. I thought this was extremely harsh as people were still being served in the tables next to us as we were told this. Not wanting to cause a fuss...we agreed not to get too worked up over this so we thought a drink would still be nice. The waitress had waled off mid conversation at this point while we were trying to order. When we manged to get her attention again we asked for a bottle of water and a coca cola and her reply was simply "maybe". We found this compeltly unacceptable that we were being refused a drink at a hotel we were paying hundreds of dollars to stay in so we then walked to the bar, past the waitress, and were served a drink no problem.

My brother, his girlfriend and I really are not people who are easily annoyed or complain. We are young, relaxed people. I just thought the service here was shocking. I was especially annoyed as the hotel is gorgeous and the location is unbeleiable...white sand beach and blue skies. The major let down was the attitude of some of the staff. For a popular hotel who turn over so many foreign guests, im amazed how anyone would go back there after service like that.

I have to point out though..... Although we found that a lot of staff acted like this , not all staff did. There were 3 or 4 other staff we encountered who made us feel very welcome and relaxed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Sean S

Travelers are raving about these Zanzibar Island hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed September 5, 2012

A friend and I arrived here & immediately thought it was way far out of our budget range... surprisingly, they offer rooms further away from the beach (maybe a 6 min walk) - for $30/night. So, my friend and I each paid $15/night, which included an amazing breakfast (chai tea, scrambled eggs, lots of fresh fruit, fresh rolls, coffee, fresh juice, lots of fresh breads). The beachfront is gorgeous - white sand, pristine Zanzibar real estate. Food is good, and there are shops nearby for amenities if you want to pay less for stuff like water/soda/etc.

We really appreciated the TVs at the bar, since we were there during the Euro 2012. They have beach volleyball nets, big comfy mats to rest on while on the beach, and the showers are clean enough. We even had a fan in the room. People just a few minutes away were paying 4x as much as us!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Colleen T
Umhlanga Rocks, South Africa
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed at Kendwa for my second time in August this year, just after Ramadan, and was happy with my room, though I still think that the prices here are high for Africa (guess they are cashing in on tourism, so I can understand that). I would have liked the shower to be fixed to the wall rather than having to crouch under it, but there was no lack of hot water and towels which was a bonus.
Probably more of a young backpacker/volunteer type place really - being on my own and being a bit older I found myself a bit sidelined even though I had already done the same things as most people there (and more!).
The beach location is lovely but they do need more beach loungers. The ones that are there are very comfy and you can choose from different styles to suit your choice as to whether you are a family, couple or you want to sit in the sun or shade. Some of them need a bit of maintenance though.
The bar is a great location for a sundowner but the service is incredibly slow even though the guys are friendly.
As to the restaurant - well breakfast time is just a mad bun-fight, with about 8 waiters standing around doing absolutely nothing while the one or two girls that take the orders spend half an hour trying to locate the table that ordered the scrambled eggs! This part of Kendwa Rocks needs some serious attention - maybe a restaurant manager might not go amiss?

Am not sure I will go back again - thinking that I am getting too old for a place like this, surrounded by 20 year old backpackers whose parents have paid for them to have a year out. But I guess this is probably why Kendwa is allegedly THE place to go for the parties - maybe I am just partied out!
Absolutely no negative comments on the rooms though - the few times I have stayed there I have found myself in different rooms each with a special theme, and that in itself is worth the stay....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Kendwa rocks is one of the best accomodations in Kendwa, it could be 4 stars, but my review is decreased by 2 important alerts that you should know before you go there:
1) 85% clients are under 25, come to kendwarocks to party, drink beer etc etc.
2)every sunday and every full moon night kendwarock converts restaurant&bar in a disco open till 2am with clients coming from outside, a fence around the beach, bracelets to get in and so on... Sleeping is IMPOSSIBLE.
Tips. Africa Rooms are a little bit far from the disco, ask for them. AVOID SUNDAYS AND FULL MOON NIGHTS. How? at 100 mt there are other accomodations like sunset bungalows really nice and quiet. IF YOU NEED A TAXI TO MOVE FROM KENDWAROCKS DO NOT ASK TO THE RECEPTION, juust exit the main door and get one by yoursels, you'll save up to 50%

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank marcoferra
sonia k, Guest Relations Manager at Kendwa Rocks Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
ciao !

hello first of all i would like to thank you for your review, we are happy you enjoyed your journey with us!

but please let me correct some informations, kendwa rocks is known for the best beach and his low prices compare to the others hotels, we provide dorms for young people who like discover zanzibar and historically we are appreciated by the backpackers, like the best spot since 16 years. but since 16 years, kendwa rocks grow up and now we proudly offer different kind of bungalows and suites even a very nice beach house with an amazing sea view. this kind of room attracted many honney mooners from everywere. so our guest age could be young sometimes, and depend of the season also, but with have all kind of guest from 7 to 77 years old! and it's true! ;)

we organise every saturday a beach party and monthly the full moon party.
only the beach house could be noisy because is very close , the rooms are on the beach, but all rooms are quiet far, we have a sand bank betweem the restaurant aerea and the rooms.

about our friendly neighbourg the sunset bungalows, the hotel organise every friday a beach party! so it's quiet same than us! ;)

anyway, thank you and come back to enjoy mojito with us ;)

sonia,