Our family (including our 10-year-old daughter and 13-year-old son) spent 3 night on Chumbe Island after a week of safari. What a wonderful experience! We loved everything about Chumbe: the incredibly friendly and kind staff, the unusual and comfortable accommodations, the crystal clear waters and amazing snorkeling, the delicious food, and the overall relaxed atmosphere.
The staff was attentive and accommodating and always made us feel at home. The guiding rangers were so knowledgeable, and we really enjoyed snorkeling twice a day, going on the forest walk, climbing the lighthouse at sunset, walking around the island at low tide, and searching for coconut crabs at night. They also taught us how to play bao! The kitchen staff went out of their way to make us happy and comfortable. Hans was especially fun and friendly. He taught us a different version of bao and led the New Year's dance celebrations. The food was fresh and delicious, with a wide variety of choices at every meal and many different spices and flavors.
Since there are so few guests on the island, every activity is always available and there is a constant feeling of calm and relaxation (unlike larger resorts where guests fight for the best beach chairs and activity slots). Our favorite spot was the big swinging bed on the beach where we spent many hours reading and relaxing in between dips in the crystal clear Indian Ocean waters.
The eco bungalows were so unusual and incredibly comfortable. They are open and airy but also private. We loved the unique design of each of our bungalows. The compost toilet took a little getting used to...
Best of all is the overall mission of Chumbe: the preservation of the reef, the employment of so many locals, and the education of local schoolchildren.
We cannot recommend Chumbe highly enough! It is true paradise.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Award-winning exclusive private island, fully managed nature reserve and marine park. Guided tours included through spectacular coral reef, forest and mangrove nature trails, historic lighthouse and visitors' centre. State-of-the-art zero-footprint eco-architecture (photovoltaic energy, rainwater harvesting, solar water heating, composting toilets). Free environmental education programs for local schools. Winner of British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow award 1999, UNEP Global500 award 2000, National Geographic Geotourism Challenge award 2008, finalist Aga Khan award for architecture. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Chumbe Island Coral Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Hotel Zanzibar
- Chumbe Island Coral Park Zanzibar