“As close to wild monkeys as you'll ever want to be”

Jozani Chwaka Bay National Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$60.00*
and up
Dolphin Spotting and Jozani Forest: Half-Day Tour from Zanzibar
Reviewed March 30, 2014

The registration at the park headquarters was a bit slow, and they were short on guides so we had to join up with another group. The guide was friendly and knowledgeable, and it was peaceful walking through the dense, old growth forest. At first, we saw a few butterflies, a buffalo-head spider, and some rather shy monkeys. Then we came to the main attraction of Jozani Forest - a family of red colobus monkeys who are more tame than we had ever imagined. We could get as close to the monkeys as we wanted, and they climbed, jumped, or just napped in the trees around us. One guy in the group we had to join put his hands out and had a monkey standing in his hands, though the guides warned him to stop as either he or the monkey could catch a disease from this. While I was filming a video of the monkeys, I had to duck down as a branch hit my head - I looked up to see a little monkey swaying on the branch as a guide was laughing saying the monkey was "playing" with me by jumping onto a branch so close to my head that he had almost landed on my head. This trip included an African safari, but the Red Colobus monkeys of Jozani Forest were right up there with our most amazing wildlife experiences. There is also a mangrove boardwalk at Jozani Forest with mud crabs and many varieties of mangrove trees. A couple hours is plenty, and you can stop by the nearby Zanzibar Butterfly Center on the way out for ten or fifteen minutes in their butterfly enclosure where local farmers "farm" butterflies to sell internationally. Jozani Forest is definitely worth a day trip from any part of the island.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Its a fairly small park with monkeys and a nature walk inside the mangrove forest peaceful and refreshing but expeced to see more.

Reviewed February 15, 2014

The Colubus red faced monkeys were great, they were completely indifferent to our presence so we were able to watch them close up. But the rest of the visit was poor, our guide repeated the information on the boards in the reception hall and no more and did not take us to the mangrove swamp. As you can't go unaccompanied you are reliant on the quality of guide. I wish I'd read other peoples reviews before I went then I could have asked about the mangrove area.
We were staying North of Stonetown so it was over an hour and half drive to get there I am not sure it was worth the effort except one is please to support the project.

1  Thank Anne L
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

The guides are well informed. We visited the monkeys and the mangroves, I would have like to have learnt more about the local birds.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

I visited Zanzibar with my folks a year and a half ago. I loved the ocean, sandy white beaches and laid back holiday vibe of the island, and Stone Town was also very interesting. My best ever experience on the island was my visit to Jozani where I got to see wild Red Colobus monkeys. I LOVED it so much that I volunteered to drive several of the tourists who stayed at our hotel (Ndame). The local tour guides (monkey guides) are informative and friendly. Because I was a regular visitor they even let me join the tours free of charge when I brought a fresh batch of visitors. It was a great experience and if I am ever in Zanzibar again it will be the first place I will visit.