“The ULTIMATE Zanzibar Getaway!!!”

Ngalawa Beach Village
Ranked #31 of 230 Zanzibar Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 25, 2010

Myself and 6 friends travelled to Zanzibar at the end of a long Africa trip after climbing Kilimanjaro and spending time on safari in Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. Ngalawa was the perfect ending to the perfect trip - we were exhausted and dirty and ready to shift gears to sun, fun and relaxation. Sadru and Joanne at Ngalawa not only delivered, they blew away our expectations!! Everything was great - the cozy, clean rooms, the beach bar, the pool, the views, the sand, the ocean....but hands down, what made Ngalawa stand out was the staff and the FOOD!! Everyone on the resort took great care of us and even joined in some of the festivities, which was great. The food however completely blew me away. After spending the previous few weeks on the mountain, wandering around Moshi and camping, the food that we had at Ngalawa was outstanding (I imagine the fact that Joanne is a professional chef didn't hurt the cause ;) ) and offered an eclectic mix of local food and culture fused together with Western style and presentation. I often had to shake my head and realize I wasn't in a fine downtown Toronto restaurant, but rather 20m from the beach and Indian Ocean.

I would eagerly recommend Ngalawa to anyone venturing to Zanzibar - it's the ideal place to take in the country and culture, with friendliness and ammenities to boot!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 8, 2010

We came for a 3 night visit with a 4 month old baby. The beginning was a bit rough (baby wise) because of the flight (from Arusha) but with the help of the great staff, amazing food and service we managed to relax and to enjoy.

The food:
there is no menu nor a buffet (where you often find yourself with pile food on your plate). instead, everyday different dishes are being served - 3 corse for lunch, 4 corse for dinner. honestly, all were very good.
The food was fresh, tasty, well prepared and neatly presented. it showed that a lot of thought and talent went into the different dishes.

The service:
The owners Joanne and Sadru are great hosts and made us feel like we came to a friend's place rather than a hotel. We could really feel that effort had been put for making sure that we are comfortable.
There is nothing worth mentioning to complain about.

The rooms:
The rooms were also very nice with a comfortable bed, nice and fluffy blanket and a water stream in the shower I would wish for my own house ;)

The bottom line:
Truly excellent option in Zanzibar and a great value for your money!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2010

I just returned back to the States from a month vacation in Africa. We finished it all up with 3 days, 2 nights at the Ngalawa Beach Village. I couldn't have asked for a better way to unwind and finish our non-stop touring of Egypt and Tanzania. This place is relaxing and elegant.

I can't say enough great things about the owners Sadru and Joanne. They were incredibly nice people who treated us like family during our stay. Every member of the staff was so friendly and accommodating. So many wonderful people who always greeted you with a warm smile.

And possibly the best part is the food. Amazing cuisine! Every meal was tantalizing and had so much flavor. Fresh seafood, fruits and spices made the meals here the best food we ate on our journey. On an island known for great food, Ngalawa's is top of the list.

If you're going to Zanzibar, I recommend staying here. Such a great place with a laid back and relaxing vibe. I also recommend the upgrade to the room with the private beach (room 18). It's worth it! What an amazing place and wonderful people.

Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Ngalawa beace village is simply magnifcient. Im currently deployed "somewhere" and I decided to visit zanzibar during the deployment to get away from "the scene".
i spent about a week there and I wish i shouldve stayed there longer.
I was a little worried about visiting zanzibar alone and i was a bit anti-social and close minded(grumpy) but the staff, the resort owners as well as the guests were very friendly and soon they broke my invisble bubble. :) The best feature about the resort is well,, FOOD!!!. I've been eating pretty bad quality of mystery food for awhile so I brought protien supplements with me just in case. well I didnt touch any of the supplements. :)

Amazing hospitality and amazing view to the ocean, it was a perfect place to regain my sprituality and just be myself.
thank you for supporting our troops sadru and Joanne!!!

Anyway I would totally recommand this amazing resort to anyone,

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Stayed at this beautiful little hotel with my husband and grown kids. It was a most relaxed environment in a wonderful setting. The owners take great care in how the place is run. All of the staff were extremely friendly and kind. There is a personal touch to it all which is just a perfect balance of feeling looked after but not at all intrusive. Food was very well prepared and fresh. The rooms were clean and well maintained. The only thing to know in advance is that this hotel is situated on a beach which is part of a fishing village. The hotel cleans the beach every day and you can swim there but it is not one of the big, aqua water, fine white sand beaches of Zanzibar. That said, there is no one hassling you.. it is not commercial in any way at all. That's what makes it different from most. My husband and I were able to stay in a special room which overlooked the ocean and had a small private beach like area. It was really fantastic.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I honestly don't know where to start from. This amazing resort, managed to perfection by Sadru and Joanna, offers everything needed to make your vacation a perfect dream.
- the large staff caters to your every little need, and spoil you rotten. the waiters specifically are amazing (thank you Malale!!!)
- the food is just as you were visiting a Michelin rated restaurant (i kid you NOT!). in 3 days- 8 meals- a dish has never repeated itself!
- our room (#18) was designed to the last detail, and its location was no less than perfect.
- the owners make you feel at home, and went our of their way just to give us the best service ever! and always with a smile and a greeting.

i chose this place to propose to my girlfriend over the internet, and Sadru and Joanna made sure this was a holiday we will NEVER forget (including private beach dinners, special decor, etc.).

i truly can't believe it's only rated as #2...

Noam

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2010

My wife and I spent two weeks in Ngalawa Beach Village on our honeymoon.

We arrived after a week on safari and were looking to relax and chill out for two weeks.
The first thing that struck us was the warm reception we recieved from the Canadian owner's. Then we went to lunch. It was unbelievebale and for two weeks we never had the same meal twice and each and every meal knocked our socks off.

The resort is small which makes for a very peaceful stay. The staff were great and really looked after us. We left very happy and at the same time sad as we'll miss the food and the great people we met on this trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple