Pyramid Hotel
$715
Orbitz.com
$681
$501
Boutique Hotel Matlai(Pingwe)(Great Value!)
$280
TripAdvisor
$430
$364
Hotels.com
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel(Matemwe)(Great Value!)
$101
$79
$169
  • Breakfast included
$517
$404
Zanzi Resort(Zanzibar Island)
$253
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed here for four nights with my friend in a double room, upon first walking into the hotel, the lovely receptionist greeted us, and was really nice and helpful, the bellboys help bring your bags up to your room too, and they always smile and are really hearty when greeting you. The hotel itself is really nice too, with steep staircases and the interior really nicely decorated, and kept clean every day.

Our room was really nice and spacious too, with traditional Zanzibari doors and a nice spice aroma when entering the room, for a double room and sharing between the two of us, the price seemed really cheap and nice for what we were getting. The high bed was also really comfortable with well fitted mosquito nets and Air con plus a massive fan. We also had an ensuite shower/bathroom that supplied us with towels and toiletries too and had hot water (A great change, since we had been living on cold showers for 6 weeks).

Again I cannot sing my praises for the staff their either, every morning when going to the rooftop for our free breakfast, we get a view of stone town, (although with a lot of buildings in the way you cannot see much, like the beach/sea etc, still, you get a feel for the town) The staff would greet us with a warm "Mambo/ Habari" (which we would happily reply with a "Poa or Nzuri), we developed such a good relationship with the staff their they kept feeding us extras!
They remembered our names too, and welcomed us back everytime we returned to the hotel, which we both thought was lovely. Great for giving directions and always happy to help you when you need it. For example if you needed to use their computer, or ask them to make a phone call in Swahili or find you a place to eat (Since we arrived in Ramadan period, and most restaurants were closed as locals are fasting)

And you also get free spiced tea in the afternoon, great for when watching the sunset. And they had free WiFi too, which was a plus.

The location itself is not as deep into some of the alleys like some hotels are, and easy to find from the main street (Where the "big tree" is) once you know the route, still it is quite scary in the dark, but we didn't have too much of an issue.

All in all, great hotel, amazing staff, and if I had the chance to go Stone Town again, I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kaetanaki
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed here for 4 nights in a double room. The room itself was really nice. It was traditionally decorated and there was a huge zanzibari bed, which was very comfortable. The bathroom was small but there was hot water and even mini toiletries.
The hotel itself is in an old building, with a steep staircase. The whole place is decorated very nicely.
There is a rooftop terrace where a nice breakfast is served. The breakfast included eggs, fruit, bread and sometimes pancakes. In the evenings, there was free masala tea available on the terrace.
The hotel staff were nice. There was a computer with internet at the reception which guests could use.
The hotel is located on a small street, that is quite difficult to find, but it's only minutes away from all the sites.
The rooms were very good value, and I'm not sure you'll find a better place to stay at this price range.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KeenanL
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Pyramid is on the budget end of accommodation in Stone Town but isn't as nice as Warere Town House is not much more expensive. A single room with fan (no AC) cost $30 which was a bit steep for a tiny room with no safe or free wireless (unlike Warere). It wouldn't be a great choice for more than a night or two because there isn't anywhere to put your stuff, plus there was no hot water even thought the manager had specifically mentioned that to me when booking - I couldn't see any switch for a heater so I'm not sure what was going on there. Also, it's in a bit of a maze of alleys, which was a bit scary when going out alone for food at night (and there's no dinner at the hotel). Having said all this, if you just want somewhere clean and comfortable to lay your head, it's totally fine, and I really appreciated them booking my ferry ticket for me because I got into town quite late and wanted to be on the boat at 7am the next morning. It's less than 5 minutes walk to the ferry. Unfortunately breakfast starts at 7.30 am so I missed that. I would advise you to pay the night before if you want to leave early the next day because there was no one at reception at that time and, as in all other small places I stayed in Zanzibar, they were short of change in dollars (weird when all rooms are charged in dollars!).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2013

a nice simple place in an old Zanzibari house, clean rooms, friendly staff, ok breakfast on roof terrace (with view to a lot of other roofs) and very close to everything in Stone Town, slightly hidden in the middle of the small alleys, and my room just facing the wall of the other house, but airy due to a lot of big windows (and you won't spend much time in your room anyway)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2013

At the lower end of the price-scale this is a very good value place. Room correct, clean, mosquito net a bit old but OK. Personnel is nice. If you are on a tight budget, this is a very good option. It is already in the old part of the town but this part of old Stone town is a bit run down. If you like authentic places, well, it is authentic for sure. But consider this: If you are willing to pay any sum of money for your trip, go to the other end of Stone town near the beach...

Room Tip: the higher the better
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple