“Nedile is Tops”
Review of Nedile Lodge

Nedile Lodge
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I have just returned today to work from Madikwe Game Reserve. We visited one of the lodges there for three nights.
A first for us.

To give the you guys praise at Nedile. Being at Nedile a couple of times already – we decided to do a change of scenery.
What a disappointment. It was ok – BUT not al all the service or standard of Nedile. You guys have a remarkable
standard at Nedile that many other lodge fall very short off! From the actual accomodation the daily standard you set
in the rooms, to the food you prepare, to especially the staff from people like Jonathan and the cook; to the guides like Barend and of course your nominated Micheal,
it’s is just so superior to what we experience any where else. The small extra touches you give like serving our coffee in the room in the morning etc

So OK – lessons learnt and will not make the same mistake again. Our next trip will be back with Nedile for sure.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen S

Reviewed July 21, 2014

A truly out of this world experience. Breathtaking view from your room and the lodge. Out door shower, fireplace in your bedroom, bath overlooking the reserve. Impeccable service from everyone at the lodge. I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2014

My family had an amazing experience at your beautiful lodge. Anica was so welcoming and friendly and had everything organized. Mike did an excellent job finding animals on safari and educating us about them. He made it fun as well. He was great with our boys (ages 11-13) and both Anica and Mike engaged in lively conversations with us adults as well. They are a great team. The rooms are lovely and comfortable and the views magnificent! The barbecue was wonderful and the food very good.

Certainly the most exciting time was when Mike was tracking a leopard. First following a monkey's warning call, finding the tracks, and following them until the leopard was located. Such a beautiful animal! We followed him as he stalked a lone wildebeest up the road. The leopard caught up to it and then it was all over. We feel privileged to have seen the wild in action.

I must admit that this experience also expands one's horizons. Life in the wild surrounded by animals in their natural state is something we don't experience in the US. It is something very special and we are thrilled we had the good fortune to experience it at Nedile.

We look forward to returning!

Lori W., USA

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2014

let me start with the good things first.
Mike was outstanding , both in his broad knowledge and ability to track game very effectively
the view was awesome. the general sense of service good and professional.
Jono and the ladies were lovely.
where I felt the lodge lacked was
the issue of privacy...for us a huge issue, if we want communal living would gather in the main lodge but in our rooms privacy is important.I could hear and see the people next door on their stoop.
I have a very bad knee, so I found some of rock steps very hard to navigate, no help of railings.
the food....was acceptable, but not great for a lodge . the juice was not fresh, from a can, the cold meats of poor quality and obviously frozen, the salads lacked variety of lettuce, on the first night, to serve chicken kiev....is not in keeping with lodge type meals...the coffee, you have an espresso machine but poor Jono was using filter coffee to make it!
the second day the food improved, with carpaccio salad and the boma dinner
the biltong on dried fruit on drives were stale and very fatty
Anica was on top of everything and you get a strong feeling that she runs a tight and efficient ship, but lacked warmth. I honestly believe that will come with age.
no tv not huge but nice to have for sport results etc....
would we go back....possibly but not first choice

Room Tip: for privacy...the furtherest from lodge for convenience the first!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sergio A
Reviewed June 3, 2014

This place was so far paradise on earth! Warm welcome from Anica and the team, everybody has taken good care of us. We were a group of 8 people and had the lodge for ourselves. The game drives were amazing, thanks to our fun and passionate guide Mike!
The lodge is perfectly located in the middle of the bush, with a stunning view. The premises are modern and beautiful. We always had too much to eat but couldn't complain as food was great!
If we did not have Wi-Fi this was probably for the best, so no contact with the reality!

We had a really good time, and we wanted to thank you again!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have never had an experience like this! As I don't use review websites, as to each their own, I had to put down some of my favourites of my truly South African holiday.
I came out to Nedile Lodge with friends, and from the arrival at the gate until waving goodbye to the staff it felt like a dream. The game drives were absolutely amazing, the staff so friendly and nothing is too much trouble, the rooms with that view was breath-taking, and the food....I am still dieting! This is a piece of heaven that I would return to again, and again, and again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed at here for two nights, 3 days and I was very disappointed, especially after just spending 2 nights at another lodge in the park, which was NOT 5 stars and was less expensive, I was expecting more from Nedile lodge. The rooms were very disappointing

Upon checking in and having unpacked, we were then informed by the manager that we were placed in the wrong room and that I needed to move rooms, he said that he needed that room for other guests that were checking in the next day otherwise THEY were going to have to switch rooms - I found that totally unprofessional and I refused to move rooms.
The safe in both rooms were not working, and the manager came to "fix" the safes.
I found the room to be on the small side, especially the bathroom (one basin) for a 5 star hotel, I wanted to take a bath, but there was no hot water, the fridge did not work, nor the kettle, nor the fan nor the main light in our room.
We were supposed to woken up at 5:30 a.m., but were only woken up at 5:45 which made us late for the game drive and not enough time to drink our coffee and get ready properly before the game drive. I informed the manger before we left of everything that was wrong before leaving on the game drive.
On the return the manager went to"fix" everything that was wrong in our room, I was only concerned about the hot water, which he promised was fixed, I went to take a bath and had just started to wash my hair and when there was no hot water, I had to go into the main area of the hotel in a bathrobe sopping wet with soap in my hair to get the manager to come and try and fix the water so that I could at least finish washing my hair! I had to finish washing using the outdoor shower.
I do not believe that this lodge is a 5 star lodge.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Arlene L
Nedile, Owner at Nedile Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear Arlene L
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, as we welcome any feedback – positive or negative.
I have investigated your complaints in detail and followed up with all the staff concerned (Reservations, general staff and the manager on duty), as we pride ourselves in our impeccable service. Your complaint is a combination of guests interfering with booking arrangements, some misinformation and an act of God in the form of a geyser element that failed. This is, however, the first time in more than 10 years as owner of Nedile Lodge that the accounts of events given by guests and the staff on duty are not in alignment.
The first point I would like to address is the room allocation. The rooms your agent booked for you originally, were Room 3 & 5. However on arrival you insisted on having Room 4 & 5, as they are inter-leading and next to each other. You also arrived at the lodge directly via another lodge in Welgevonden and were not welcomed by the manager at the reserve gate, in the normal customary way. While the duty manager, Barend, was away picking up guests at main gate, the ladies unperturbed prepared Room 4 immediately on your insistence. Only when the manager arrived back at the lodge did he learn about the room change that you insisted on during his absence. Barend tried to explain to your party that you had booked Room 3 and that other guests coming in at a later stage, specifically requested Room 4. In the end reservations contacted their agent, apologetically explaining that we would need to move them to another room. This booking was made months before their arrival and your booking was made on a short notice special 4 days before arrival. Your complaint that we unprofessionally changed rooms is untrue and a misrepresentation of what really happened.
Claiming that the appliances were not working is also untrue and a misrepresentation of what really happened. When the appliances in the room “didn’t work”, the manager, Barend, pointed out to you in the room that they were unplugged to accommodate your various cellphone chargers. He then indicated other electrical points in the room that can be used for charging cellphones, cameras etc. You also mentioned that the fan was not working. This is just not true or possible unless it is not switched on. It is still working and has been doing so ever since their installation years ago. This cannot be true unless there was a power failure. Power failures are more common in the bush but we have back-up generators that will start with-in minutes. That also rules this out.
As I am sure you understand, we have no control over certain aspects, like the geyser elements. Luckily it happened that the manager could fix it, instead of having to wait for a plumber to come out to the bush, which can take up to a couple of days.
I am truly sorry about these unfortunate circumstances, but concerned about the biased misrepresentation of facts in your review. Clearly you had a miserable time, but we hope to welcome you back, one day, to Nedile Lodge to enjoy the breathtaking views, amazing animal sightings and our exceptional hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Welgevonden Game Reserve
#4 of 16 in Welgevonden Game Reserve
Jamila Game Lodge
Jamila Game Lodge
#6 of 16 in Welgevonden Game Reserve

Been to Nedile Lodge? Share your experiences!