“Quite Charming”

Ranked #1 of 9 Ziguinchor B&B and Inns
Dakar, Senegal
“Quite Charming”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Quite a charming gem in the middle of Ziganchour. I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the hotel was and how clean it was. Beautiful views of the river. Good food at the restaurant and pleasant staff. The food does take a little long but once you get it, it is worth it and our fish and gambas were fresh. Our children enjoyed the pool which has an amazing view of the river and the pirogues.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Shanghai
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I didn't stay at the hotel, but came here for lunch one day. Great spot by the river, and we could see people fishing and the ferry leaving for it's journey to Dakar. Very relaxing spot, and perfect for spending a few hours over a couple Gazelle beers. Recommended.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I had a look at this hotel during my travel across West Africa and sadly I wish I hadn't. The rooms are very basic yet rather pricey. The bathroom we had a look at was a bit mouldy but OK for a three star hotel but not OK for the price you are asked to pay. The coffee in the bar is 10 times more expensive than in a local bar. The swimming pool is tiny and also a bit mouldy. The location is good but beware of mosquitoes. We looked at two other hotels and finally stayed in the hotel next door ( La Pierogue) that was cheaper, cleaner and offered clear prices and same views. Any money and Africa wise traveller should do the same.
When we looked at the rooms, we sat down in the cafe area to discuss if we want to stay or not. We ordered coffee and wanted to leave after paying but we were stopped by the hotel staff claiming that we should pay a fee ( a rather hefty one!!) for using the pool. We explained that we purchased the drinks and there was NO SIGN of any fees for staying in the bar/swimming pool area. No one told us about the fees either when we ordered or paid for our drinks. We explained that we were looking for a place to stay and we wanted to compare it to the place next door. Then the staff became very agressive. Suddenly 5 men came and cornered us (2 female travellers) against the wall. They shouted we have to give them 'their money' and would not listen to us at all. We asked to see the manager but if course there was no manager around. They started to threaten us and held our arms and even tried take our camera! It was a very scary experience and I cannot believe that actually happened. I hope the manager if the hotel will read this message and deal with his staff (especially Lamin). They have to understand that this practice is shocking and totally unacceptable and I feel obliged to warn other travellers. Hidden prices is one thing, physical approach towards the customers is another. We went to see the police afterwards but the policeman could not speak English so we could not explain what happened at all. We had to pay extra fees. All in all - avoid if you can. Who knows what other hidden prices might be there for you...

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Aeon_Flux2
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at Hotel Kadiandoumagne for one week in March 2013. I arrived in Ziguinchor from Gambia around midnight. I contacted this hotel to see if a room with air-con and full bathroom with hot water (can't stand cold showers no matter how hot the weather) and they did! I was pleasantly surprised of how reasonably modern and clean this hotel was. I loved the location, beautiful scenery with the rooms facing the river and the well kept landscape. I almost thought I was at a secluded American resort! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Ziguinchor and I plan to stay there again myself.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper lever are more expensive - they might not tell you that at check-in, but worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie K
Nyon, Switzerland
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Very nice place to stay in Ziguinchor, situation direct on the river, in the restaurant you can seat and have a drink on the river Casamance. Room n°5 no noise.
Many possibility to travel around, Cap Skiring, on the bayou, boat or canoe trip, fishing and visiting village around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Forchheim, Germany
Reviewed September 7, 2012

As I stated a few times I'm travelling in Africa a lot, this was the first time in Ziguinchor with an African and two European Colleagues (Ladies). The ladies had never been to Sengal before, we met them in Dakar on business - for me it's a first in Senegal as well. Our African colleague had booked the hotel - he was greeted with great pleasure by the staff and we immediately were made to be feel like family. We all had rooms upstairs, and they were of a quality which I had not quite expected in Zuiginchor, ACs were working, which I personally do not use, moskitonets were drawn over the beds. Of course there was the occasional power cut, which doesn't really bother anybody, and Internet - well it was working in our colleagues office, and sometimes in the hotel.
The restaurant was good, senegalese and french food, no porc.
They are organizing boat trips to the local reservations, unfortunately we didn't have time to go. We extended our stay for a day without any real valid reason just to 'hang out'
My ratings for the place seem over the top - but don't forget you're in Ziguinchor and not in a European Capital. People worried about contacting Malaria in Africa should take prevention,
as the hotel is right on the river

Room Tip: First floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rudolf W
sydney, australia
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Given my experiences of many hotels in West Africa that are outside the major cities, I had little expectations of the Kadiandoumagne. I was very pleasantly surprised. We had an upstairs room that opened on to a balcony from where there are beautiful views of the garden and rive (Rom 29). The air con worked, the mosquito nets were well-organized and hole-free and there was good water pressure in the bathroom. We had no problem with the hotel wi-fi service although Skype dropped out a little too often to make it useful. The hotel has a very pleasant pool and restaurant area and - most notably - everything was neat, tidy and well maintained. The garden was particularly well cared for and green - a dramatic contrast with the rest of Ziguinchor and indeed the rest of the Casamance at the end of the Dry Season (early June 2012). Recommended with confidence.

Room Tip: Upstairs - Rm 29 was good.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdbrowne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ziguinchor
Le Flamboyant Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ziguinchor
Hotel Aubert
Hotel Aubert
#6 of 9 in Ziguinchor

Been to Hotel Kadiandoumagne? Share your experiences!