Chez Khady and Simon
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Abene
See available hotels
  • Free Internet
Campement Alouga(Ziguinchor)
  • Breakfast included
  • Beachfront
All reviewspersonal touchtraditional hutbeautiful place to stayfruit treeshis wifeextended familymangodeveloped worldice coldmosquito netbreadbaobabculturetripsgemlifebooks
Reviewed December 3, 2016 via mobile

Ambiance:
I had two different experiences over the three or four days I was there.
For the first half of my stay, it was just me and the Senegalese family (Simon was traveling). I played with the children and ate family style with the wife, two children and extended family. It has a bit of a homestay feel. Unfortunately, I don't speak French so conversation was limited but they were very gracious and one of them accompanied me to the village, beach and tree.
During the second half of the visit, the British husband and two other individual guests were present and it had more social overtones but we ate Western style with individual plates and at a separate table from the family. At night, some of the family members played drums and danced.

Accommodation:
There are various options. I stayed in a traditional hut with its own bathroom and a fan. The bed had a mosquito net and was comfortable. The room was clean. The toilet was a flush toilet and the shower was Western style. Water pressure was okay but not too strong.
Simon is transparent in the website about the presence of bugs. I sprayed daily and didn't have any major problems (which is saying a lot since I have a big phobia).

Food:
Breakfast was good and included egg, bread, jam/chocolate and tea/coffee.
Dinner was terrific--tradiitonal Senegalese with fresh fish.
They also have drinks available.

Location:
Little Baobab does a great job of providing an authentic Casamance stay. The grounds are lush with lots of trees. The "roads" to anywhere are sandy lanes framed by tall brush. It is neither on the beach nor in town. Both are minimally 20 minutes by foot, although a moto taxi can get one there for less than $1 each way.

Abene is a moderate sized village with some tourist orientation. There are several tourist restaurants and souvenir shops on the "Main Street" and a few bars. The village has about 6000 people and dirt/sand roads.

The beach is relatively empty (although I wasn't there at the height of the season) and the water is good for swimming. I went to Abene as my first Casamance destination. I really liked it but I think I probably would have loved it had I visited after places like Cap Skirring.

Owners/Staff:
Little Baobab is generally family run. Simon was terrific, answering all sorts of questions via email in the couple weeks prior to my stay. Khady and the family were very gracious and helpful.

Stayed: November 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank Alera
LittleBaobab, Owner at Chez Khady and Simon, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2017

Thanks for such a lovely and comprehensive review Alera and I'm happy you enjoyed your stay. You bring up a very interesting point and one which I have debated - in the early days, guests very much joined in and ate communally with the family. I'd always give people the choice but as we developed I realised there were some guests who loved that type of experience and others who may not but would be too polite to demand a separate plate. As we have a 2 year old and a 4 year old, eating with them can get messy, hence Khady eats separately with them to the guests. So now, we serve guests buffet style on a separate table, but they are very welcome to join the communal rice bowl if they prefer.

Reviewed March 8, 2016

The other reviewers have already pretty much said it all - Chez Khady and Simon is a fantastic experience. It's more than just a place to stay - it's a starting point for immersing yourself in the culture of the Casamance. We joined Simon on a six-day trek through local villages, staying in a villager's home in one village, dropping in on the village chief in another. Khady gave my wife an impromptu cooking lesson, and arranged for her to take a batik class from a local artisan.

Room Tip: very rustic by American standards, but very clean
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JeremyIggers
Reviewed February 7, 2016

Research into my trip to West Africa soon showed that Simon would be a great source of knowledge and experience in this area, and I easily made flexible arrangements to stay Chez Simon and Khady at The Little Baobab.
Arrival by bicycle in Abene soon showed that everyone knew the family and willingly guided me to the leafy compound in the quiet sandy backlanes. Accomodation is in a variety of huts in large garden that will soon be producing plenty of food for the home, and a habitat for birds and butterflies.
Life is very informal with an outdoor buffet breakfast and Khady cooking an excellent communal dinner, and I felt part of the family with Simon's children joining in all activities.
Simon is always setting up treks and excursions and can give good advice on travel further afield.
Prices are very reasonable too. Ideal for a range of informal travellers from hardened overlanders to beach bums.

Stayed: January 2016
Reviewed February 7, 2016 via mobile

We had a fantastic two weeks at the
Little Baobab where Simon, Khady, Gulliver and Alfie and the rest of their staff proved to be great company and a lot of fun to be with. Having travelled in many African countries, this was one of the best, if not, the best place that we have ever stayed at. Thank you for a great experience. We will return.

Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2016

I spent 3nights in Simon and Khady's beautiful open air treehouse, the perfect way to regroup and relax after a hectic 6weeks on the roads of West Africa. Their place really is a tropical oasis, and I loved the chance to be welcomed into their lovely family, including playing with the kids and the cats, and spending nights by the fire with acoustic guitars and djembes. Khady is a wonderful cook- her food being a real highlight, while Simon's knowledge and anecdotes of the area provide great entertainment and advice. The trips to visit bird island, the permaculture garden, and calm swim spots also made Little Baobab truly a highlight on my long tour of the region. Highly, highly recommended. Thanks Simon, Khady and crew

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo