“The rooms are great, but don't eat the breakfast!”
Review of Don Paco Hotel

Don Paco Hotel
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Mindelo
“The rooms are great, but don't eat the breakfast!”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We where in this hotel for two nights and stayed one more night when we came back from Santo Antao. The location of this hotel is great, right in the middle of the city and very near to the harbour. The employees are very kind and helpfull, but speak very little English. The rooms (we had a juniorsuite and a normal double room) are big and new. The bathroom is very clean en the shower is just what you really need after a long day, SUPER! And then there was the bed, WAUW, I'd like to take it home with me...
There is wifi availeble for 3€/hour, just buy a code at the reception. The receptionist can't count back from ten, so help her a little.
Actually everything in this hotel was great accept for one thing: don't eat the breakfast! Everything was warm, the fruit, ham & cheese, the butter, even the fake orangejuice. The coffee was like sewerwater... but fortunately is was warm ;)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Triesje

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Cheshire, Connecticut
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The hotel does have an excellent location. Rooms were clean and modern.
The only thing was (and this was major) on our first night after traveling and traveling and feeling exhausted, there was an outdoor Cape Verdean hip-hop party outside at the club behind our room and it was impossible to sleep through the pounding bass and rapping music all night long, I really mean all night long. Having asked repeatedly for a different room, I was told I could get another room at higher rate. The hotel has to know that this happens on the weekends...should warn customers...

Room Tip: Whatever you do, do not get a room facing the back of the hotel near that outdoor club.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Don Paco has an excellent location, just a few minutes walk from the town centre and the ferry port. It is a smart, modern, chain hotel that deserves its three stars. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. Service was pleasant. The breakfast buffet was really lavish. Our one small criticism was that, although we had hot water in the evening, we did not get it early in the morning.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank christine r
Berlin
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Modern 3* hotel right in the center. Plenty of restaurants and shops nearby. Functional rooms, and helpful staff.

Note that rooms facing the square can be quite loud, certainly during week ends, as there are some late-night bars nearby. Rooms going to the back of the building do not have this problem, so probably a good idea to alert them before you arrive.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Setúbal
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Excellent location. Friendliness of the staff top of the range. I rated the room 3 out of 5 because the bathroom has no space to place our stuff and I’ve to use the windowsill and also the lack of an air dryer. The TV Set in the room is a recent LCD model, but the quality of signal reception is very poor, as many channels had the picture pixelated. My trip was on business; it would be a must having Wi-Fi internet access so I can connect to my company intranet. In fact there is Wi-Fi internet access but at a ridiculous expensive cost. This is the reason I rated the value as average.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed with Don Paco for 5 nights and the major impression is quite good. The location is perfect as the building is situated just two steps from the central square - so you're in the center of everything and at the same time still far from the noise made by people. The port is 10 minutes walking.
When booking this hotel we asked for the toom on the upper floor and we were given exactly what we asked for.
The bathroom could be more spacious: actually it's not that nice to keep your bathroom things on the windowsill because there's no place to put them.
Breakfasts are of a very good variety of hot and cold meals, fruits, desserts.
Reception staff was very helpfull as we need assistance with confirming our flight, with taxi, with advices where to go, where to buy specific kinds of things. We had a feeling that reception staff doesn't speak English very well, but speaking portugues to them we received all the info we wanted to get.
A safe and a hairdryer in the room could be a very good option.
WiFi access is not free of charge and quite expensive which is pretty strange because on the central square you can have free access ( lots of people use it there).
And the bed is very comfortable! )

Room Tip: Ask for the room farther from the elevator which is a bit noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I had a rear-facing room, away from the street. It was clean and basically comfortable. The included breakfast was fine.

I give the Don Paco three stars only because it has quirks, most of which I suspect are because the hotel is new and may not have ironed everything out. Namely:

1. My travel agency paid 7000 escudos for my room, but when I checked out I saw my room had cost 4900 escudos. I suspect that I paid for a suite but the staff unwittingly gave me a less fancy room.

2. The air-conditioning wasn't working in the first room I checked into. This was after midnight. The staff didn't move with alacrity, but after more than one request it did get me to another room where the air-conditioning worked.

3. However, in that room, unlike the first room, the TV didn't get the same channels, including CNN and the BBC. Strange for two identically sized rooms on the same floor.

4. The bathroom door wanted to close on its own and I used something to keep it propped open.

5. In the public area near the restaurant, there's a bathroom. However, the lights in it go out after about 30 seconds unless you're moving around. So you're using the facility and it goes pitch-dark until you wave your arms around or otherwise move. I don't understand why certain hotels in third world countries insist on these cheapskate lighting systems. They may save a few dollars on electricity every month, but it comes across as ridiculous when the lights go out in the restaurant bathroom.

6. This is a Spanish-owned hotel, as you'll notice when you see the amenities like soap and shampoo with Spanish labels and the profusion of Spanish-language channels on the hotel's TV system. Signs providing hotel information are in impeccable Spanish but noticeably incorrect Portuguese, which is peculiar given that Cape Verde is a Portuguese-speaking country. It suggests a certain degree of inattention from the corporate headquarters in Spain.

Still, it's a reasonable place to stay and I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing so. It's also conveniently located downtown Mindelo and the ferry terminal for ferries to Santo Antão and São Nicolau.

Room Tip: It appears that only the more expensive rooms, i.e. the suites, have a separate bidet, and the same...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo