Hotel Oasis Belorizonte
$158
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Dunas de Sal(Santa Maria)
$101
$96
  • Breakfast included
Odjo d'agua Hotel(Santa Maria)
$120
$112
  • Breakfast included
Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$162
$145
Hotel Morabeza(Santa Maria)
$151
$147
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
VOI Vila do Farol(Santa Maria)
$133
$85
$74
  • Breakfast included
Melia Dunas Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$191
$167
$169
  • Pool
Melia Llana Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$193
$173
2,059 results
All reviewssuperior bungalowbeach barair confishno stressthomas cook repanimation teamsalt waterisland tourtaster menubig wavessanta maria townper weekhotel entertainmentpastaamazing beachplenty of sunbeds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 10, 2013

It was my fourth time in Belorizonte and I will always return. This time we stayed at one of the renovated bungalows just in front of the beach and we loved it. People going to Sal (Cape Verde) must realize this is Africa, not Europe, not America. Cockroaches and flies live there before us, just like lions live in the mainland; I do not go to Paris expecting to see lions. The sense of time in Africa is different (hopefully!) and yes, sometimes, things take longer to be done according to European standards. But I go there in vacations (mainly to dive) so, these kind of things do not bother me; room was always clean, food is very nice, I love the bungalow atmosphere and people is so nice and friendly. Yes, internet is very expensive and very slow.
If you like diving, pay a visit to Manta Center just outside the hotel. You’ll get the best Sal has to offer; its wonderful underwater scenery and life guided by the best divemasters!

Room Tip: Ask for a superior bungalow near the beach
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank MJRLisbon
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Glad you feel like this is a second home and that you enjoyed all our services.
Hope you can come a fith time!

We will be waiting!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

The natural environment itself is the secret of this place but nothing else. Once you have arrived you will slowdown automatically and forget the European rush, including your busy work and also the infrastructure partially. Which is not negative at all if you really want to rest up yourself and do not want to stick on your mobile phone. (there is not many mobile network available with the exception of T-mobile)
Service:
Friendly and smiley staff without having any stress. Most likely they will not speed up if you need a glass of water urgently before you dry out completely.
Breakfast and dinner buffets are OK and ample in variety especially for those who loves seafood dishes. Only the selection of bakery products and fresh vegetable is weak.
Regular bungalow are not really big but spacious enough for two.
Cleaning of our accommodation was at the satisfactory level. I also would improve the maintenance services a bit. (i.e. adjusting TV channels, tighten screws etc. / all small thing...)
The hotel beach is beautiful, amazing white sand...
All in all everything was fine during our stay.

Room Tip: If possible go for the bungalows which are based at middle of the hotel territory where you will see their beautiful garden (palm trees, succulents and other exotic plants) and also will have a close access to the ocean shore.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gepida74

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
Glad you enjoyed our hotel and Sal Island.
We hope you can come again to relax and forget the European rush.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

At the time of my stay at the Belorizonte, I had already stay at Riu Karamboa (Boavista island) and Riu Garopa. These two hotels were both pleasant and I enjoyed both stays. When I arrived at the Belorizonte I thought it was a nightmare, for true!

The Hotel:
It is formed by rooms and bungalows. I stayed at a bungalow. The hotel has three pools, but only one is made of fresh water, not to mention that the floor around the big pool (near Santa Maria restaurant) hurts your feet. You have three restaurants and several bars. The beach club is ok, but some things from the bar are not included in the ‘all’ inclusive package. And sometimes the sea is a bit dangerous (the lifeguard is just useless), so be careful with small kids and people who are not very confident with the sea. But it is still pleasant, actually I think the beach is the best of the hotel. The wifi internet was supposed to work but it didn't, not even the computers at the lobby. So, no internet at all in this hotel. However, in the village there is a government building where the 'Centro Cultural' is located, with free and fast wifi, so I got used to walk everyday to Santa Maria (10 minutes) just to FaceTime with my family and check my emails.

The Room:
As I wrote, the hotel has bungalows and normal rooms. Part of our group stayed at the main building and for the little I saw, these rooms are way better than the bungalows. Unfortunately I didn't. First thing: safety (in this case, lack of). The doors are so crappy that are easily broke into. The bungalows have holes that allow cockroaches to enter (I 'hunted' three only inside the room during my stay). The safe in the room doesn't work properly and it is so small that things won't fit in there (and one person can carry it away from the room easily, for sure), not to mention that you have to pay for it. Apart from the beds, which are normal, all the furniture is falling apart!! Our wardrobe demounted when we opened it! The desk was so unstable that I was scared that it would break! The lights in the room were buckets filled with sand that looked like dustbins! One pillow on the 'couch' was dirty with a white fluid that I don't even want to think about what could be (!!). The facilities are not properly cleaned (they just sweep!!). And the bathroom was even worse!! The shower doors were broken so were always falling and the water sometimes was boiling sometimes was freezing! Terrible terrible room! There is a mini-bar which is filled with two bottles of water daily (in the Riu you have to ask the reception for the bottles and carry them to the room). But the bungalows are of a three or even two star hotel for sure.

Food & drinks:
I stayed at the Riu and the food standards there are high, with big variety of choice and also good overall quality. At the Belorizonte, being a smaller, 4-star hotel, I was expecting a little bit different. But the difference is way too much. The variety is terrible, I don’t know why they bother having two restaurants if they have the same horrible food in all of them. The supposed 'fancy' restaurant Salinas (à la carte menu) that you receive a voucher for, is simply disgusting and everybody from my group got sick after eating there shrimp, cocktail sauce or pasta. I had diarrhea and vomits, so on the last three days all I enjoyed from the all-inclusive was melon and some cold salads. The drinks were ok but they don’t know how to prepare cocktails properly.

Night shows & animation:
At night there is always some kind of show with Cape Verdean people at the Salinas restaurant, but very amateur, they just put on some music and then the animation team dances with the guests. At the Riu there are shows a lot more well prepared and with themes like Grease, Shrek, Mamma Mia, etc. At the fresh water pool and at the beach there is animation (spinning, aqua sports, break dance, volleyball, football, etc) several times a day with very kind and funny animators. The team does a good work in this point, amusing even the smaller kids.

Overall experience:
It is an old, bad quality hotel, and the food is terrible (don’t forget if you’re staying in the all inclusive package you’ll be paying to eat ALL the meals at the hotel, and restaurants in the village are not cheap), but if you just want to go to the beach and the pool to enjoy the Cape Verdean sun and kind people, it is ok. If you want the best, go for Riu brand hotels, which are way ahead of the Belorizonte in what concerns security, food quality and variety, comfort and quality of the rooms. If I return to Cape Verde, I’ll definitely go for the Riu, it is for sure worth the extra money.

Room Tip: Go for the main buildings, the bungalows are terrible!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
15  Thank Tomas D

Dear Guest,

We were a bit surprise by this review, as some of the things mentioned are far from reality.
If you did in fact know well Sal Island you will understand the following:

- Our hotel compared to the one you mentioned is on the best spot of the island, with a white sand beach and a calm sea. Much better to children and families who choose to be with us because of our best location. Ponta Preta where the other hotel which you insist on saying is best is known for having big waves and is where surfers often go.

- Our food offer is known to be one of the best in the island. Guests from other hotels come to dinner at Salinas Restaurant and watch our evening shows. We have a top chef and plenty variety. We believe that other hotels can also have a good food offer but we don' t consider ours inferior, on the contrary.

- Our animation team is one of our best values in the hotel. Night shows are thematic and show the Capeverdean culture. The hotel you mentioned as your reference of wonderful has the same animation as the other hotels of the same chain that are in different parts of the world. In fact in this point we know for sure that we don' t have any competition because we want to show the music and the culture of this beautiful country and make our guests feel that they are in Cape Verde and not in any other part of the world. If you enjoy an hotel that makes you feel you are in another country and doens' t show you the good things about Africa and Cape Verde, then we understand all your critic.

Regards,

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed there Feb 1 - Feb 7 (eg. Feb 2 as there was some mistake with the booking so we had a night at a more fancy All-inclusive hotel for a night but I must say I prefer this - even though:
The food was not the most delicous (I then mean the buffet which we had once) escpecially not the red wine (which was a joke- was it water in it?) and even was not included. The breakfast was more than OK. One should also consider this is Africa, Shall everything be exactly as in Scandinavia? The restaurang Salinas was in a better class.
We had a bungalow superior (283) and that was not so bad. However, the style with washbasin outside the bathroom is obiously common but strange and "irritating" as well as the switchs to the funny but not so practical bedlamps placed so you have to almost rise to switch off... The disposition of the room are perhaps not even the best but - never mind.
Many people have also wondered about the system (if there is any) for the roomnumbers. Besides, if these bungalows was paid in something else than this dark brown the whole area should look more "fresh"!
However: It is a nice, familiar atmosphere. The "animation team" which performed during the evenings, had aerobics, teached dancing etc was a lovely group of people, So was even the hotel staff!
Must mention that my friend became very sick the same day as we arrived. (Do not blame Belorizonte - he felt ill even the day before) - so ill so they assisted a transportation to a nearly situated clinic there he rather quick recovered. He was of course still not quite fit they day after but the staff was so helpful and caring and came with special food etc. We loved them and will send a special greeting to Mario L. and Nelida L.

Room Tip: The rooms in the central apratmentbuilding are more traditional but it is some charm with the bungalows (at least the Superior) with a little veranda and a litte closer to the beach.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Hans B
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Glad you enjoyed the overall atmosphere and all our staff.
We will take all your observations under consideration in order to improve our quality and our services.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

You have to admire how the staff does handle and manage so many bungalows and tourists of all walks of life. Bungalow 276 encountered a few problems, but were fixed immediately when pointed out to them. Wi-fi and internet werea bit slower than in other countries, but it has to be considered that Cape Verde is neither Europe nor USA, etc.
The charm and courtesy of the staff and local people made up for everything else.
One should not forget that they have to import most things what we take for granted at home! As Anja mentioned in her comment it is nice to see that there are still some countries which have not yet too much changed their way of living. I loved the saying of the locals: NO STRESS and enjoy a relaxing holiday! For me the beautiful beach outside our bungalow, clean sea, sunshine, wind and escape from the winter weather in Euope in Feb. 2013 were the more important things than to complain, about small things that was fixed by the staff.

Room Tip: Bungalow 267 was close to the beach and between two restaurants of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Primerli4B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice feedback.
Glad you had a good time and enjoyed this country and this people.
Hope you can return next winter!