“Ask for a quiet room if you want to sleep”

Hotel Oasis Belorizonte
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We were 2 families who had been travelling with kids since 3.30 that day and arrived late afternoon after 9.5 hours flight to Sal. We got a room close to the pool and a restaurant. The room was very simple with yellow decorated walls but my 10 year old kid liked the walls. We ate buffee and it was all right and fell aslepp very early. Till we wake up to crazy disco! I called the reception and asked if this music would be this loud and every night. She said yes! I told her my goal was to get sun and relax and no way i could stay in this room. She promised me to tell the disco to not t play so loud. No effect of that- the party was accelerating... The hotel was fully booked and I had to wait till the next day to get a new room. Anyway the live music and dancing ended at 11 pm and I was all dead.
The friendly personel helped me the day after I got a new room 525 close to another restaurant. There was live music one night and karaoke to 11 pm but i managed to sleep that time.
The room was clean and simple, with the sam yellow fishes on the wall my daughter liked a lot.
There was some problems with the sewage pipes and couple of days it was smelling really bad in the toalett and outside our bungalow. They put some read fluid on the ground to kill the smell..
2 night there was even cockraches in the room but I guess it is part of being abroad..
The personel of the hotel is all really helpful and nice.
The breakfast is the best in the world- almost! The kids loved the pancakes.
But the dinner buffee gets a little bit too boring after 2 night. The grill afternoon by the pool was really nice surprise with music and the grilling outdoors.. Lovely!
We used to go to the village to have lunch. It is more fun to see something else, though it takes time to food to be served. But it is still worth it.
The senegal salesmen scared the kids- they follow you from the hotel to the center, and they didn´t want to go the village more than needed. Everybodys name is Max. :)
The beach is really beuatiful! But the waves are little too big for kids.
One day we were sailing and it was really beautiful. The waves were too big to snorkel and we tryed to fish but got only one little red fish. We bought this trip outside the hotel, just some meters to town. It was good organized with friendly staff.
There was lots of sports activities, beach vollyball, tennis, workout in the pool, workout on the beach and so on.
Belorizonte is good value for monye.
Me and my friend got seasick of the waves and were not really enjoying the last 30 minutes of the trip.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank NinaPia
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your message.

We are glad to know you enjoyed your stay! We are also happy to see that our staff helped you satisfying your needs, and that you enjoyed our services, specially our breakfast. It is good to know that our clients consider our breakfast service the best in the world.

Hope you and your family can return soon!

Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 27, 2011

First of all i don t understand why so many people write here that Belorizonte don t have a nice staff?I met 3 super girls who are working together at public relations.They ar very professionals and at any hour they will try to help you.It s very important to tell this because when tou came there you must know that somebody is there to answer and help you.They are speaking english,french,portuguese,spaniol,italian...and easy to find them everywhere:at restaurants,reception,beach bar...
About hotel:i would like to see all the bungalows renovated..and more attention with replacement of food...
Beach: wonderful! perfect! Santa Maria is very close.I didn t like the senegalese wich are all trying to sell them stuff.About capoverdian people: really nice, friendly.
Now,depend of your taste and budget,because we all must understand that Sal is an island.They can t have everythink at any hour.Also, all the echipament in the room is ok,but if you like somethink extravagant-here is not your place!
They have a nice fitness center, tennis camp and swimingpools..

Room Tip: 215- renovated,clean and functionable
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank james k
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
Glad you had the perfect holiday with us!

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed November 5, 2011

It was a nice experience! everibody must try it! beautiful beach, very nice people, wonderful hotel and friendly staff!
You can try a bungalow..you can have enough space and a diffrent holiday.
Belorizonte-closed to S-ta Maria town, clean and animate.
Thanks to Iulia from public relations for all the support and suggestions.(have a wonderful pregnancy!!!!)

Room Tip: ask for a room close to swiming pool or with view at the beach
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lua m
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback .

Your review sums up what we strive to achieve for our guests every day.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

Please give de personel a tipbox they are so helpfull!(to the manager)
The girls (Filomena,Genevieve,Madalena) off the bar are verry nice and friendly give them a tip!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Johny O
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.
Our staff is really super!!

Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed October 11, 2011

I normally try to book the better of several options on offer in a holiday resort where cost allows. I had tried to book the Riu but at the point of booking, it had sold out and given its location, I was not that bothered. It is considerably further out of town than the hotel in which I ended up, but to a man, the islanders claimed it was by far the best on offer. In hindsight, proximity to town was not that much of a bonus; but from a distance, the Riu looks like an Arabian Palace in the middle of a very deserted desert.

The following review will sound like Cape Verde is not a great place to go. It depends on what you want. I wanted to sit, read, dive and relax. Mission accomplished. If you want a beach of beauty, an easy going evening with little demands on high grade food and drink before turning into a bed which is functional although not luxurious, then you will really enjoy this resort and Cape Verde. But there is such significant room for improvement – much of which is really simple to do – that I would struggle to give the hotel more than a 3*.

Getting ill on Day 3 and remaining so for the duration of my holiday may well have clouded mu judgement of the place. But make your own judgement based on what I feel is quite balanced as most of what I wrote was done so prior to getting ill.

Beach

The beach is one of the best, if not the best, beach I have ever been on. The sand is pure and soft and descends into clear blue water with only the tiniest amount of coral debris on the bottom. The current is quite strong in the first 10 metres, but beyond that, you could float all day and barely move. It drops to around 3m deep around 10m in but is comparatively salty so buoyancy is not an issue. Little fish dart in and out of the swimmers in what is a true paradise.

There is a beach bar 50m back from the sea providing plentiful amounts of local beer (Strela) and pre-mixed cocktails. However if you want any food, that is not included despite it being part of the AI resort. It would have been not beyond the wit of the hotel to include the beach bar as one of the few locations to provide snacks, but for some reason – the only time I have ever come across this – it didn’t.

Away from the main tread of the beach though – either side of the sun loungers – the quality of the sand is compromised by debris. Not noticeable from a distance, but don’t walk through it without sandals. The resorts only seem to clean up the beach directly in front of their area, so over the years, clutter has built up.

As with most AI resorts I have been to, the food starts off feeling like the most varied and plentiful selection ever, but swiftly becomes mundane and repetitive. However, the fish dishes were all exceedingly good and I didn’t have a bad dish. Reports of the hot breakfast being regularly cold meant I didn’t venture too far into the hot section of the breakfast buffet.
The coffee was repugnant except for the beach bar which did better than acceptable Expresso. I had fortunately travelled with my own filter coffee so was saved from more than 1 day of the undrinkable muck served. Fruit juice were also not up to standard, but bearing in mind that the island imports pretty much everything, it explained why there was limited locally grown produce to make juice from.

It took until day 4 to find ice-cream anywhere on site and then it was slush and guarded closer than most state secrets, even though it was part of the package. There were though a couple of places in the town which did very tasty Gelato.

Drink

All drinks on offer are local versions of more established brands and virtually without exception are poor by comparison. I could not locate anywhere that even sold – let alone included in AI - a decent gin or single malt, so remained on the Strela which was better than most local beers.

Entertainment

The hotel entertainment crew tried, but it was pretty much the same fare served up each night under the guise of a different theme. Frankly there are only so many times you can see a girl on stage wiggling hips or a bloke flipping around before grabbing a spear and shield to role play warrior dances.
However the Grease show on the Sunday night is worth seeing – only so that you believe.

Island

It was hot, very hot every day. Apparently October is one of the hottest months and it regularly reached over 40 degrees centigrade. The wind makes it feel deceptively cooler, but nothing lower than mid 30s. October is also the rainy season, but I didn’t see any rain and apparently last year they had 1 day. No wonder the island is basically a desert.

Outside of the beach areas, there are a few things which make the island trip pretty worthwhile. Swimming at the Salt Mine was a fun experience and seeing some of the more traditional fixtures of the island – the 2 fishing locations – and a few natural beauties made the half day trip a real bonus. More than that and it would have been a struggle, especially on a trip with all Portugese who were very pleasant, but if it were not for my pigeon French and the ability of Ronaldo to translate, much would have been lost.

Driving through one of the shanty towns on the outskirts of the 15,000 person capital, there is evidently real poverty here. Development has all but stopped in some places and the guts of unfinished buildings are starting to become derelict. For some reason there are random shipping containers strewn across the island in some unlikely places. There is definitely money to be made in recycling the amount of steel objects spread around the place.

It’s been mentioned more than a few times on here that the pressure the traders put on you to come into their shops is extreme. I’m not a small bloke and not afraid to do and say what I want, but I had never experienced anything like this. The traders are predominantly from Senegal and are beyond persistent. They all have a relative working in England, all claim the English are the nicest people, all have a shop “just over there” where they will seek to sell exactly the same stuff as the place next door giving the impression of them being part of a trading cartel as opposed to independent retailers. The trading part – if you want to buy anything – is the same as anywhere. But if you just want to look, it is unpleasant.

There are many flies which constantly sought to interrupt every drink or meal. Not in a swarm, but between 6 and 10 that would never leave you alone if you had lotion on or were consuming something. These became a consistent issue as the week went on and I was able to spend less time on the beach having grown increasingly ill.

Resort

The hotel is linked to the one next door and although the map shows several restaurants, it must be the quiet time as there was 1 AI restaurant which served up all meals and 1 “pay” restaurant which served up decent a la carte food. Had it not been for the free meal everyone gets, I would not have paid the money. 20e for the best white the island had to offer was a waste given that it was not that different to the free plonk that came from a tap.

They have expensive internet (6e per hour) available. However, it took 3 days to connect up to Skype wirelessly and even then you had to be near reception which did not make for a conversation of any privacy. I must have spent nearly 15 minutes getting onto a simple static site with limited graphics. I gave up trying to use Skype to call home as it was just not worth the effort or cost.

There were only about 4 or 5 English couples I came across. Virtually everyone else was French, German or Czech. No problem in that, except for the fact that the rep was never around (not such a bad thing) and everything seemed to be conducted in Portuguese or French. There were no agency notice boards in English and all the efforts of the agent were obviously being spent at the Riu.

The staff were generally “NO STRESS” which meant things got done, but not in a way which lead you to believe it would! The onsite shop was just rubbish and I had to search around outside the resort for shaving foam after I ran out and gave up in my search for stamps after both places on site which I was directed to had either sold out or didn’t stock them in the 1st place.

Having called out the local doctor to attend to what I thought was an extended bit of food poisoning, she turned out quickly and was very impressive. However, the local pharmacy which should have been stocking some of the most anti-diarrhoea drugs, turned out to be hopelessly stocked and I was told to go to the capital, about 30 minutes away by cab. Anyone who knows what African diarrhoea is like, knows you cannot do a round trip of over an hour without accident, so after considerable and assertive discussions in the travel company’s local offices, they arranged a cab to do the trip for me. All diving, eating, drinking, sun lounging, swimming and general enjoyment was then suspended until my return home some days later. It was as the discussions with the agent became more relaxed that I gave my view on the hotel and was probably wrong to describe it as a dump; but when you’ve been virtually bed bound for over 2 days and the local pharmacy cannot even find salt amongst its stocks, you realise you’ve come to the wrong place. Even those at the Riu were going down with the airborne virus which was causing the illness; but for some reason they were getting injections as opposed to 4 different types of medication.

Bedroom

I had a beach bungalow right on the beach. Location was perfect – unless you wanted to go to sleep early in which case it was too near to the entertainment. But that really did not bother me at all. However, the bungalow is very basic and in need of attention. Shower, no bath, and with no aircon in the bathroom and the extended days I spent inside ill, soon made for a rancid stench that lingered a little too long.
The only English TV channel initially was Al Jazeera but I retuned the thing and found CNN which was intermittent and repetitive. There is only so many times you can watch a 20 minute segment on the Nobel Peace Prize or Steve Jobs dying.

People

The actual Cape Verdeans seem a lovely lot. Very chilled to the point of horizontal and always polite. The Senegalese were pests outside of the resort and annoyed both tourists and locals alike with their front foot tactics to get you to part with your hard earned.
The islands are apparently one of the few remaining communist countries and have close-ish links to Cuba. If that is why you cannot get stamps, medicines or a straight answer to a simple question, then long live the free world and Perestroika!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
10  Thank WatfordPete
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. It is always good to receive client`s feedback.

Unfortunately getting ill must have been really hard. We are sure your experience would have been different if you had enjoyed the full week.

We will take your comments under consideration in order to continue our effort to improve our product and services.

Reviewed September 22, 2011

We are not talking about luxury, we are talking about the essence of Cabo Verde- No Stress. A little slice of paradise in the atlantic ocean. The rooms are quite good, tv, minibar, closet and a lot of another very usefull things.

But, by far, the best thing in this Hotel is the people, all the staff will treat you not as a costumer, but as a good friend, in the beginnig of the week when I arrived, everybody said Good Morning with a smile, the day I left the building, I got frienly hugs!

It was the best week of my life, and they were part of it. This hotel and this people are excelente, and if somebody enjoy the half I did, will have the vacations of a lifetime!

Room Tip: Choose the center Bungalows and like this you´ll be near Novorizonte, Beloriznonte, the Buffet, the...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Daniel T
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback . We were glad that you found in our hotel the essence of Cape Verde. We do try to show all guests the culture of this beautiful country.

We were also happy to know that you found real friends in our staff. They are with no doubt our best value!

We hope you can return soon!

Reviewed September 17, 2011

After much reading of reviews we weren't sure what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. Some comments were justified but it is 3rd world Africa.
Good things.
The hotel is 30 minutes from the airport and is next to the beach. From reception to beach front is not even 5 minutes. From our bungalow to beach was about 30 seconds. And what a beach and sea. Beautiful sand and lovely blue water. Some waves but that adds to the fun and the water is more than warm enough to get in a wallow for an hour or so. The pools were nice and not that busy.
Our bungalow was lovely, I think some have been done up and we were lucky. Clean, nicely laid out with a lovely shower and sink, enough space and a plasma telly on the wall. When we checked in we had a small issue with a remote control for the aircon (very effective) and TV that took 3 people to sort out. If someone says they will be back, don’t wait around too long for them. No stress is the motto. The room was cleaned daily and 2 big bottles of water delivered to the fridge.
Food was good, neither of us fell ill and we ate in the hotel every day. Buffet style for all meals with plenty of options, including Undercooked Tuna and Dungaree Veal. Who knows! All very tasty and more than enough. There are flies but if you go to an island near Africa what can you expect. It got busy but we never haad to wait too long for food and never once had to wait for table space
The town of Santa Maria is 5 minute’s walk along the beach path. Many shops and cafés. Most of the tourist shops seem Senegalese and they will try and get you in but seem very friendly and lazy. The people who stay away from town in the RUI we were told get told it’s not safe, in our experience it seemed fine and the ex-pats we met said as much. We went out, got drunk in town and felt fairly safe but as ever when abroad usual rules I suppose apply, main roads strangers etc. At the far end of town from the hotel is a lovely restaurant bar called Papayas and a great beach club. Well worth a visit.
What to do. It’s a big volcanic rocky piece of rock. Don’t expect cascading waterfalls and rainforests. We went out at night with the volunteer turtle rangers who are protecting the nesting loggerhead turtles and releasing baby turtles back into the sea. Good fun. Snorkel trip for 2 hours for 20 euros each. Hired a quad bike for the day for 70 euros, toured the island, saw all there was too see. Great fun.
If you want a hotel full of English speakers and English entertainment and reps galore stay at the RUI. This is very Brazilian and Spanish and Portuguese. Staff spoke little English but amazing beach, good food and near town. Behind hotel and in town is a bit of a building site but as it is mainly European investment that as you can imagine has stopped in the last 3 years. We had a great time as we were willing to enjoy the beach and sea and go and find nice places. We had a great time. If you want a polished hotel, this is not it. If you want a good hotel, amazing beach, food and beer galore and close to the town. This is it.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank ian d
OasisAtlantico, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Oasis Belorizonte, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your message. It is really important for us to receive client`s feedback so that we can continue improving our product and service.

We were glad to see that you enjoyed the hotel, the room and the food.

We hope to see you again soon in Sal Island and in Belorizonte Hotel!