“Third year and we will come back”
Review of Hotel Dunas de Sal

Hotel Dunas de Sal
Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Reviewed February 25, 2013

In Santa Maria, Isla de Sal, Cabo Verde, probably the best place for kitesurfing during the month of February, it is not easy to find a Hotel that is not massive being good. Dunas de Sal, is not a sea front, but is very near and you see the sea from most of the rooms. The place is nice, well kept, and with a "charm" that the others are lacking. All the staff is friendly and very helpful, except for one of the reception managers named Paula Cabral, that not only lie to us about when the rooms where to be occupied but make us leave at 12:00 sharp, and ask us for the full payment immediately, even when we wear leaving all our luggage in the hotel while we went to kitesurf for the day. She make us look as if we where going to leave, not paying the 170 US Dollars we still own them when we checked out, she probably thought we where leaving behind Ipad, computer, 1 kitesurf board, 2 pieces of luggage etc that we have deposited on the Hotel storage room. Other than this person, the staff is great, especially Vanda Brito, Assistant Manager, that really helped me with with some documents I needed to send, and it was impossible to do so, in Santa Maria.
The swimming pool and garden are beautiful to relax after a day in kite beach.

Room Tip: If you are a kitesurfer, ground floor will be your choice.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angel Y

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at the Dunas de Sal for 7 nights in early January. The hotel was spotless, indeed the pool cleaner had some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder, and seemed horrified when a leaf sullied his pool! Similarly, the room was spotless. However, into every life a drop of rain must fall, and it certainly did- in buckets! We had paid in advance for full board, but unfortunately, except for breakfast (which was acceptable), the food - and we use the definition loosely, was inedible. Indeed it was difficult to work out whether it was animal, vegetable or mineral. The full board menu consisted of two options, which didn't alter between lunch and dinner, although it soon became apparent that it didn't matter anyway. Food was invariably cooked to the point of elemental reconstitution, and this was reflected in our observation of a deserted restaurant after 2 days... Waiting staff were consistently pleasant, but unfortunately this was little consolation when the chef was in breach of any trade descriptions act that we are aware of! In fairness, the 'standard' of food offered was not entirely inconsistent with that available beyond the confines of the hotel, which was generally diabolical, with few exceptions. Its an awful long way to travel to eat pizza, which ended up being our salvation. How baffling is it that an island which boasts some of the best fishing in the Atlantic is unable to provide fresh produce from this seemingly inexhaustible resource?

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Simon W
Reviewed January 16, 2013

To put is first: I do recommend this hotel, although my review may not start like this ...

Horror on reservation:
I did my reservation at their homepage and found a suitable slot of 2 weeks availability, so I did my reservation online. No response for 4 days, so I was pretty uncertain whether I should book my flight, then received a mail, that hotel was fully booked. So I asked what was their earliest availability, again no response for 4 days. After that the manager finally suggested a date, so we agreed on a 2 weeks stay and I booked my flight. 1 day before departure I received a mail from the manager, stating my reservation failed due to an IT-problem (well, after my communication experiences so far, I guess it was more sort of a PEBKAC issue) and they moved me for some days to another hotel (see my review on Hotel Sabura).

Well, before getting to the more positive aspects, 2 other organizational matters:
For pool towels you have to pay 15 Euro cash for deposit, you can't just sign for it, so don't forget your cash before you go to the pool.
For using the Safe in your room you have to pay 10 euros (its a charge, not a deposit)

Now, finally, the positive things:
The pool area is just great, spacious, nicely planted with trees and bushes, nice rectangular pool (at least nice for me, as I like swimming, so I hate fancy shaped pools).
Really nice building layout.

My room (202) was pretty small (couldn't get a junior suite as the hotel was permanently fully booked), only 1 tiny wash basin fitting for a prison cell, toilet and shower were okay.
Mini bar well filled, shower gel available (unlike the hotel I stayed before)

Beach just 5 minutes walk, no problem at all - hotel providing deck chairs on the beach.

Very clean and well maintained, lots of staff all around and very friendly. Nice breakfast buffet.

A really great dinner kitchen ! Nice to sit outside and enjoy one of the best dinner meals I had since long (I tried 4 course sea food) - you should not miss this !!

So, despite my review's start - it's a recommendation !

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank manankanchu
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed in Dunas de Sal for 2 nights.

What we liked :

- quiet hotel with nice pool area
- good meals and very good breakfast buffet
- efficient staff

What we liked a bit less

- rooms are a bit worn down, could do with a refreshment
- have to pay extra for safe, wifi (bit weird for a 4* hotel)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RudiKan
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently stayed at the Dunas De Sal hotel and was very impressed with the hotel. It is about 10 minutes walk from Santa Maria so you are far enough out of the (small) town that the hotel has a very private feeling about it. The hotel is only 2 stories and all rooms face into the swimming pool which is very well maintained. The room that we stayed in was very clean and the maid service was excelent,the room had air conditioning, and a safe. We ate at the Restruant and found the food to be very tasty and the service within all areas of the hotel was excelent. The beach was only about 5 minutes walk and when we went to Santa Maria most nights the taxi back was only 3 euros. The areas around the Hotel is being developed so you can see some building and some areas that are still vacant but this does not impact at all on the hotel as you can walk past these areas in a matter of minutes.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mick S
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Dunas de Sal is a very good hotel and fully satisfies the requirements of a 4 star hotel. The personal was very friendly, smiling and ready to answer any question you could ask.
The hotel is located around 10 walking minutes away from Santa Maria (thanks god since there are less locals trying to sell you all those souvenirs 5 times more expensive than they are) and can offer you everything you need. You even dont need to walk to the city. Its also located close to a road construction but it didnt bother us at all.
Food is excellent and european style and after having our dinner at several restaurants on the island we came to the opinion that its better to pay a bit more but get perfectly prepared food with a big choice of vegetables on your plate. Maximum what you could get at any other restaurant is a piece of tomato, some corn and probably stomach problems on the next day.
Our room was cleaned every day and had a conditioner, we also had a big private balcony only for ourselves.
Calls from a hotel room are extremely expensive so in case you want to call somethere its better to get a prepaid card in the city!
Internet is also quiet expensive on the island.
Hotel also offers free yoga and aerobic classes on the evenings and those have been good!
So...it is a very very good hotel and we would book it with a big pleasure again.
PS Be careful when buying any souvenirs. Try to buy them from locals and not from senegalis. Price of a sand picture is max 3 euros but not 20! the same for any other wooden stuff. Dont wear your hotel hand bands in the city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Hamsuu
Reviewed July 26, 2012

First things first. Avoid Sal and Santa Maria at all cost: there are many beautiful things to see and do in Cabo Verde (Fogo and Santo Antão being two superb highlights). Sal is certainly not the best place to spend both your time and money.

Dunas de Sal is a four star hotel (on paper) in a zero star village and this shows.

On the hotel. It does not have the kind of service that you expect from a four star hotel. The breakfast was not good enough and it lacked local products (e.g. local goat cheese, local papaya jam - some multinational jam was available, or local bananas - chiquita were available). The employees were not friendly or helpful. My bathing shorts were stolen outside of our room. I must say, however, that the hotel paid a new pair. Still, it was quite shocking and, one again, you don't expect this at a four star hotel.

On the village. In front of the hotel there was a building site and not road to walk/drive, there was no street light and we were even advised by the hotel staff not to walk to the village at night (a 1 km walk). There was no direct and obvious access to the beach. Surprisingly we were not warned about any of this in advance be the hotel. The lack of proper access (and good infrastructures) is also a problem throughout Santa Maria - it simply does not have the infrastructure to receive so massive tourist affluence. I should say that I understand that CV is a poor and undeveloped country but still CV and Santa are sold as a paradise and that's clearly not the case.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple