Crioula Club Hotel & Resort
$171
$131
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
VOI Vila do Farol(Santa Maria)
$132
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Dunas de Sal(Santa Maria)
$100
$95
  • Breakfast included
Odjo d'agua Hotel(Santa Maria)
$118
$111
Hotel Morabeza(Santa Maria)
$151
$145
  • Breakfast included
Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$160
$144
Melia.com
Les Alizes(Santa Maria)
$46
Melia Dunas Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$178
$165
Melia.com
$168
  • Pool
2,168 results
All reviewsanimation teamisland tourpool is salt waterserved in small plastic cupsfree wifi in receptionpastano stresswork long hoursmet some great peoplecleaned dailyfantastic weatherthrough thomas cookfresh towelscleaned every daybeach towelsbeach volleyballlovely island
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 25, 2012

This isn´t a 5 star hotel... It is a random 4star resort, for instance a 3star if it was in Portugal.
I booked this hotel by a travel agent for a good price, regarding the prices of the other hotels in the area. If you want best quality and luxury you should go to Riu or the new Melia. But if you want a bargain option i think that Crioula could be a good option.
I traveled with a friend and we stayed in a double room. It was very spacious and clean. The Hotel has a pool in the centre, a restaurant near the pool and a theatre. It also have a gym, a SPA, and some shops and bars.
The most of the tourists are Italian and the most of the workers speaks portuguese and italian.
We booked all inclusive service. The food was very good. Most tradicional italian food, pasta, pizza... And some local food. The fish was delicous! Very fresh! The meat was nice too.
The worst part of the hotel are the drinks! In the all inclusive service you only have a disgusting local beer, terrible wines and poor quality white spirits!
You have a very nice breakfast, lunch and dinner. At the middle of the morning and afternoon you have some snacks.
Summarizing, if you don´t want to spend much money in the best hotels (Riu and Melia) i think this is the best option. Good food, nice animation team, good service, reasonable infrastructure. The worst part was the drinks...

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank PRegufe
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Crioula hotel.Arrived at about 4.30pm,the room was clean,but the bathroom had no towels.Requested towels from reception, but after waiting over two hours for them had to return to reception to ask again so that I could have a shower before dinner.Use of safe in room was free,but had to pay 20 Euros as deposit for 2 beach towels.On our first full day after walking into Santa Maria in the morning,we decided to sunbathe by the pool.However, the hut where you exchanged your tickets for a beach towel was closed until 4pm.We used our towels from our bathroom for 2 hours until the hut opened,only to be told that they had no towels left and to come back tomorrow! Needless to say I made it perfectly clear that this was unacceptable and eventually obtained 2 towels from reception.Not a lot to do in the evening,so was relying on the satellite TV,which only had one english speaking channel(an American business channel).The picture quality was very poor and very snowy,compared to the picture on the set in reception,so reported the fault and was assured that someone would come to look at it straight away.They didn't come, so after about 40 minutes we went to dinner.On returning,no-one had been to look at the TV,so picked up the phone to ring reception only to find that this wasn't working either! We had only been at the resort for one day, but were totally frustrated with having to keep going back to reception with problems.To their credit,once I made it clear that this is not what I expected from a 4 star hotel and either they rectified the faults or change our room-we had a new room in 20 minutes.That is when we found out that the controller for the air conditioning in our first room was missing and we also had plenty of hot water,whereas we had both had to have a cold shower on our first morning because the heater had not heated the water after I had a shower the night before.We had no further problems with our room for the rest of our holiday.The quality of food was on the whole very good,when you could get what you wanted.However,I was glad that we were there for only one week as I think the food was very repetetive.The restuarant could certainly benefit from the services of a Maitre D who could organise the staff.Tables were left covered in dirty plates, or if the tables had been cleared,new place settings had not been laid.When we found a cleared table we had to take place settings from the larger tables.Cutlery,plates,glasses and food constantly ran out.On my first two days I had cornflakes for breakfast because of an intolerance to wheat-however there were none for the next 5 days so I had grapefruit instead.But on our last day neither were available.Also on our last two days they told me there were no eggs available(for fried eggs) only their scrambled eggs(which had pieces of ham in it-so was unsuitable for vegetarians,which I am not)So on our last day I couldn't have cornflakes,grapefruit or eggs for breakfast-leaving only bananas or papaya or the range of meats or cheese that the Germans prefer.I resorted to a banana as I had already had papaya twice the day before.There were never any large spoons available at breakfast for eating your cereals-they only seemed to appear in the evenings when soup was served-so I had to eat my cornflakes(when available) with a coffee spoon.Sometimes sliced bread ran out (for toast)and people resorted to toasting small slices of french bread.A lot of time was wasted at mealtimes either searching for food or searching for someone to report it to.Throughout our week there the following items ran out sliced bread,butter,jam,fruit juice,coffee,and milk,plus spoons,coffee cups, bowls for cereals.The staff had a very laid back attitude and many just shrugged their shoulders when you reported shortages to them.I got the impression that if they said they would do something NOW,that actually meant sometime that day(if you're lucky)

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carol C
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Crioula hotel. The rooms were OK, clean, what was extremely disappointing was the restaurant service, the food itself and the staff. The latter never smiled, never said "hello" and as they hardly speak any English were not of much help. The restaurant service was simply appalling - if you were not among the first guest in the restaurant, you were met by unkept tables, full of dirty plates from the previous guests, which you basically had to tidy up yourself if you didn't want to wait around for the very scarce staff for the next half an hour. Finding clean glasses and cutlery was a whole new challenge, as they were usually nowhere to be found. Once you managed to set your own table and find the cutlery and finished your starter, no-one came around to take your plate, which meant that at the end of your meal, your table was overflowing with dirty plates... The food itself was also a great disappointment - the dishes kept repeating themselves and they were mostly tasteless. What was good was anything that was fresh (i.e. papaya), however, it often ran out and they either brought more or they didn't. If you wanted eggs for breakfast you had to ask that they be brought from the kitchen, however, even eggs ran out on a couple of occasions... I could go on, but I believe have painted a pretty clear picture.
Also note that despite the fact that this is an All-inclusive hotel, this is not entirely so. Our travel agent sold as the "blue-bracelet" all-inclusive package, which meant that drinks were only available at the pool bar (from 10am to 7pm), where you could choose from 4 local spirits, something that very bearly resembled beer, water, tea, "coffee" and 2 very sweet and unnatural juices. If you wanted a decent drink, you had to go the other bar (close to the reception), and pay for it. We learned however, that guests with the "white bracelet" all-in package had free access also to these drinks. If you plan on spending your vacation here, make sure you ask your travel agent which all-in package is on offer.

The beach itself was alright, was slightly bothered by some litter lying around (which is understandable due to the constant wind), which none of the staff was bothered to pick up.

All in all it was an average holiday and will definitely not be returning to Crioula hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank vonwango
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We just came back from a great holiday at the Crioula Hotel. Good value for money, great beach with sun loungers and canopies against the shade directly joined to the hotel. The food was good and there was plenty to choose from. Some dishes and salads tended to come back, but when you eat in a hotel both lunch and dinner, it's perfectly normal. Great desserts - the banana tart was our favourite!

The animation team was friendly and unintrusive. Loved the aquagym sessions and the dancing. Front desk was extremely professional and helpful. Laid-back attitude all over - no stress!

I would recommend this hotel to both couples and families. We had a bungalow room, and were lucky to also have a seaview - naturally this heightened our holiday experience. You can't beat sitting on a terrace in the balmy evenings, listening to the waves break...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank pr0traveller
Reviewed February 12, 2011

This is more like a 4 star hotel and as my partner and I are both airline crew we have been in a lot of hotels in our time. The rooms are basic but clean and with everything that you need. The staff are friendly and helpful and willing to answer any questions you may have. We did a 4 hour quad bike tour to the north of the island which was fantastic and a day trip to neighbouring island Boa Vista where you will find breathtaking beaches. Well worth a visit. Sal itself has an extinct volcano in the north where you can visit natural salt lakes where you float, similar to the dead sea. Well worth a visit and only 5 euros entry fee. Back to the hotel, we were all inclusive, there for 4 nights and the food was great. Loads of choice and all good quality and whereas in Egypt in 5 stars we both got food poisoning twice, we didn't here.
The only negative I should mention is that I did have a skirt and a top hanging outside my apartment that disappeared. It is a very windy island - great for windsurfing and surfing - but I doubt the clothes could have blown clear of the trees and the bushes. Bit strange but something to be a bit wary off. This definitely wouldn't put me off coming here again though. The surrounding areas and beaches etc. felt very safe. You do get bothered a bit by the locals trying to sell you stuff but they soon leave you alone if you tell them you are not interested. They all say "ok have a great day" so nice and friendly and not too pushy.

The climate here is perfect, absolutely perfect, all year round and if you are a keen surfer the waves here are unbeatable.. I have never seen waves like it in my life. They hold the windsurfing world championships here at Porta Preta beach.

A great location and in our view a great hotel as very reasonably priced, food good and all you need in a hotel.

Oh the only other thing to bear in mind with the food/drink is the wine.....awful!!! I stuck to vodka but this is not included in the all inclusive. It was a bit like a detox holiday for me!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple