The appartment itself fulfilled by and large all promises. Nicely furnished, clean (besides one big cockroach in the kitchen...), except being in a very residential area and far from the beaches (15min walk to city center with major restaurants, 15-20mins walk to beaches) + having a close to 24hr non-stop barking dog at the neighbour's house.
Yet, Santa Maria and Sal appear not ready for tourism outside package hotels (and even inside 4-star package hotels, if you read carefully the reviews...). We expected an island somewhere in-between Europe and Africa, with major Portuguese influence. But that is not what we found. We were negatively surprised by
- huge number of stray dogs, barking 24hrs, day and night
- number of dead animals laying around (obviously stray dogs are still more or less systematically poisoned to take control of the number of animals)
- poor level of supplies in "supermarkets" (in five minimarkets did not find fresh bread, in just one semi-ripe tomatoes, in none fresh salad, barely any vegetables, just canned food of mediocre quality)
- even renting transportation was challenging, Quads not rentable for 24hr periods as parts may be stolen if parked at own residence as per rental agents
- crime is unfortunately a distinct reality, and not all areas of town are safe for single women to walk around at night
- overall, Tunesia and Egypt appear distinctly superior regarding tourism-readyness compared to CapVerde in our eyes
In summary, nice appartment, but in the wrong spot of the world.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|