“Yummy!!”

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This was the friendliest restaurant in Santa Maria. It was very welcoming and the food didn't let them down either. It is run by Nick and Diane, a lovely couple. I would recommend the fish stew which was yummy and the fish soup which was a generous portion and the prices were good too. You will not be disappointed!! The 3 tables at the back of the restaurant are nice for a romantic evening and the background music also makes for nice ambience. It had the Yummy factor for me for sure!! :)

3  Thank Tanji20
sapocomfome, Manager at 'Sapo com fome' The Hungry Frog, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Hello and muitos obrigados for telling us about your happy experience @ Sapo com fome. It's good to learn you enjoyed the music. We have also recently started live traditional cape verdean music outside most Friday and Saturday evenings.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is only a small place, tucked up a side street. Cooking powered by gas bottles, electricity supply a bit dodgy at times, a tiny kitchen where the cooks and waitresses manoeuvre round each other like holidaymakers in a small caravan.
But bright and clean, friendly and enthusiastic. And the food was reasonably priced and extremely tasty. Try the octopus! And the Prawns! Absolutely excellent! They also have local wine from the Island of Fogo at an affordable price. Well worth trying!
Just goes to show that a little place with enthusiasm and talent (plus good ingredients) can just blow away the food produced by huge hotels with armies of chefs and kitchen equipment to die for!

1  Thank 99Martin
sapocomfome, Owner at 'Sapo com fome' The Hungry Frog, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Many thanks for your colourful review. We strive to do our best and it's great to read such positive feedback. I hope one day Santa Maria will have mains gas ! All the very best and we hope to see you again soon here at the Hungry Frog.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

No holiday in Santa Maria is complete without at least one visit (you won't stop at one though I'm sure) to the 'Sapo com fome' The Hungry Frog, tucked down a small street near the Ice cream parlour its not to be missed and great value. You can sit and watch your food being prepared or tuck yourself out of the way in the pretty rear room, whichever you choose though you are guaranteed a fantastic meal, my personal recommendation is the fish stew, only tried on my final vist, but I wish I had had it earlier, never mind, next time. Dianne is the perfect host (and Nick!) with an excellent command of English, and her mother cooks the beautiful traditional fare in the kitchen. See you all again soon.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

we visited this restaurant a few times while were were on the island. It is a small restaurant in a small street off of the main drag. the staff were very friendly and helpful, when I was asking about the local dishes. The fish and seafood dishes that we tried were probably the tastiest and best value for money, and we will going back theter when we visit the island again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We nearly didn't eat here despite having seen it recommended on Trip adviser because it looks a bit like a cafe trying to attract UK tourist rather than a Cape Verdian restaurant. the food was amazing though. My husband had a local fish caught that day on the pier and my daughter had king prawns which were beautifully cooked and half the price of the other restaurants.