“Oh my God - AMAZING!!”

and up
Shark Watching from Santa Maria
Ranked #1 of 43 things to do in Santa Maria
Reviewed July 4, 2012

So, I'm usually known as a drama queen but I have to say. This place is just out of this world. The beaches, the people, the atmosphere. At first, I was a little scared because I thought there was nothing to do but thank God I was there for 3 weeks as I quickly came to realise that that was NOT the case. I finally decided to go for a walk along the beach one night when I was side-tracked by a beautiful Beach Bar right along the beach with rocking music and great atmosphere. I met some lovely people there and the staff were so friendly, they helped me out with everything I needed to know and even took me to the great after hour bars. The music and food were spectacular there and I will definatly be back. I had to come on and write a review because i was blown away by the island and this special little Bar called Sal Beach Club :)

6  Thank Kate C
Write a ReviewReviews (2,838)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Beautiful sand, mainly rock free, lots of nice bars and restaurants, never busy. The pier is the towns main liming/talking spot. When the boats bring in the catch its the fish market too (11-2pm ish) Best restaurant - the barracuda.

1  Thank Gda_Bob
Reviewed June 12, 2012

liked the food,beer,entertainment,the people.
disliked teh flies

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Well, the best about Cape Verde is the people and the beach. The water is clear turquoise, very clean, the sand is golden and people are the best.
There isn't much to do other than sunbathe and swim, so it's a great place to relax and enjoy the "no stress" attitude.

1  Thank andreiagferreira
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The entire area of Sal is very underdeveloped, lots of construction everywhere, nothing really interesting besides the beach. Talking about the beach, it is really beautiful with kilometres of coast with velvet beige sand and turquoise waters. However most of the time it is impossible to swim because of the strong winds; it is really dangerous to swim if they have put a red flag. We spent the last week of May in Santa Maria and all days we had strong wind and a bit cloudy sky. Almost all hotels offer an All Inclussive package which means that most people spend their time in the hotels, and there is no incentive for the locals to open nice bars and restaurants or develop some interesting activities for the tourists. So, practically, life outside the hotel is zero. One evening we went to a sea-side restaurant which had very good reviews. The atmosphere was nice, with live music, but the food was not good and the prices very high....nearly 100 € for two.

Definitely, Sal is not a place I would go again in the near future. At this time of the year it is better to go to either Italian, Spanish, French or Greek islands with probably lower cost and a lot of beauty, culture, food, ...and above all a sea that looks like a swimming pool!