“A Wonderful Stay”

Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
“A Wonderful Stay”
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at Melia Tortuga from Sept 10th-17th and minus a few things and there, we had a lovely stay and good impressions for our first time to Cape Verde.

Hotel
The Hotel was very well presented, always clean and the gardens and amenities were always very well looked after!

Rooms
We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms as we had a suite with 2 bedrooms, living area, kitchen and bathroom. We'd previously requested a 1st level floor with a pool view which is exactly what we got with a nice view from our balcony over the quiet pool. Slight issue was a few small bugs but nothing to worry about and it's to be expected. We also found that the thin bed sheet didn't always keep us warm enough when the air con was on.

Food and Drinks - All Inclusive
Spices was the main buffet serving breakfast, lunch and
dinner with quite a variety of dishes such as mixed fish, mixed meats, seafood, and a few vegetable dishes although not many appealed to us as there were a few odd combinations of food.
We only ate at the Waterside once for a self service lunch which consisted of pizza, chips, salad and chicken. Basic and little choice but ideal for a lunch snack.
O'Grille Beach Bar was our favourite amongst the restaurants. They provide a menu of salads, sandwiches, burgers, chicken, beef skewers and pasta, for lunch, however don't expect big portions. We also made a reservation for dinner there which was thoroughly enjoyable! There's a choice of 3 set menus for varied tastes. Again, don't expect big portions but the atmosphere at night is lovely, by the beach lit by lanterns and candles.
However, there are many flies that pester you throughout your meal in all restaurants. Drinks such a local beers, wines and spirits were all nice as were the cocktails.

Pools
There are 3 pools, Quiet Pool, Main Pool and a shallow pool. All of which were well kept and a lovely temperature. Many sunbeds to choose from around all pools, although be wary of early sunbed claimers as your likely to be left with the beds under the direct sun and no parasol. The pool bar at the main pool is a nice feature to swim up to when you fancy a drink.

Beach
The beach is a beautiful stretch of lovely soft sand (but it does get very hot!) and there were always plenty of sunbeds, all with parasols. The sea was red flagged 4 days and yellow for 3 days of our stay, meaning its not ideal for swimming and a strong current. There are also rocky crevices lining the beach so not ideal for paddling either, but none the less, very lovely to dip your toes in.

Staff
Many staff were very pleasant and friendly however some did not even smile. A special mention to Daniel in O'Grille who always made our visit welcome. The entertainment team at the pool, doing aqua gym and diving were always smiling and talkative!

Thomson and Rep
Our flights to and from Birmingham were 5hrs 40 each way with in flight meals. Outward flight was ok although there is no inflight entertainment and the return flight was draining as it was a night flight.

A very special mention to our in hotel Thomson rep, Melissa, who was always smiling, always there to answer any questions and help throughout our holiday. My partner arranged with her a bottle of bubbly to be delivered to the room for our 4 year anniversary. Which was a lovely surprise and accompanied with a handwritten note saying it was complimentary on behalf of her and the hotel and was happy to help with anything else we may need. By far the friendliest and approachable rep we've ever had!

Location/Excursion
The island of Sal is not currently very commercial or developed and is little there on the small island. However, Melissa made us aware of all excursions and points of interest on the island. The only excursion we did was the 4 hour Quad Biking Tour which was incredible if you fancy an adrenaline rush but also to view the main points of interest around the island. It's definitely a must do at €60 each for sharing a quad. Would have done it twice if we could!

Overall we had a wonderful stay at Melia Tortuga and had a great experience in Sal. Definitely a 4* and a perfect haven for couples to relax and unwind! Would recommend :)

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Hayley M
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Hayley M,

I sincerely appreciate you having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having set aside some of your precious time to share your experience with us and with fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

As I read through your description of our hotel and our services it is nice to observe that you were happy with your room, with our facilities and with our services. I do understand that insects can be a nuisance in the tropical weather, we have a routine disinfestations in place to minimize the problem as much as possible.

During your stay there were plenty of sun beds and shades and our guests can also make a reservation for a whole day on a Bali Bed with refreshments and a personalized service for a small charge.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, especially Daniel who is an asset to our hotel, it is with pleasure that I will share your comments with everyone, who I am sure will be very happy to hear from you.

I am glad that you enjoyed the complimentary cava that we sent to you, I would also like to thank you genuinely for having recommended our hotel to prospective guests and I hope that you will also return to visit us more often in the near future.

Jose Luis Cuevas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
devon
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have never reviewed a hotel before but my families experience at the Melia was just so, so good I couldn't not share it!

The hotel itself is amazing! It's clean, tidy, pretty, and although its a large complex feels like home! The food was delicious as well as being varied for breakfast, dinner and tea. The staff are wonderfully attentive, and the restaurant and food areas are spotlessly hygienic. You will eat like a king! Meat, fish, veg, bread, rice, pasta, salad, sauces, fruit and deserts. The beach of the hotel is lovely and quite (the sea is too rocky to swim in but paddling is fine). There are two pools, one with music and activities and a second quiet pool... The free shuttle bus takes you to Santa Maria beach which is an utterly gorgeous beach.. powder white sand, turquoise blue sea (the sea is a little rough but nothing to worry about at all!!) Takes about 3 minutes and well worth it if you want to swim in the sea! The rooms are large! The largest I've ever stayed in and are cleaned everyday..thoroughly!! The Thomson rep Melissa is brilliant also, she works very hard and is always available and only too happy to help! And the hardworking entertainment team were great and put on a very enjoyable series of shows and children's discos!
The 4x4 jeep tour takes 1/2 a day and is a must! It's a great few hours and you see and experience the islands must-see parts, don't hesitate to book it!! (Be mindful of the evening turtle beach walk excursion, the turtles are not a guarantee!!)

I can not praise this hotel enough. It was a faultless 2 week holiday, filled with sunbathing and swimming! This is *the* perfect hotel and holiday if you want to unwind, relax and enjoy the sun! This is a truly brilliant hotel! No question about it!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank happytraveller768
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear happytraveller768,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your family holiday and for having taken the time to share about your experience with us and with fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

From reading your review I am very happy to observe that you felt at home here and that you were pleased with the hotel complex.

I appreciate reading your description about our food, our staff, our entertainment and our services, I am so glad that you enjoyed them. Thank you for your kind comments, they have made us feel that all of our efforts and hard work were worthwhile and they give us motivation to keep on going and improving at the same time.

With all these good impressions in mind, I hope that you and your family will give us the pleasure of your visit once again in the near future.

Warm regards,
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

First time in Cape Verde and initially was going to book another Hotel. Glad I didn't. The hotel was brill from the minute we got there. Made to feel welcome from the minute we walked into reception. Didn't expect a family suite for just the two of us but what a bonus. Loads of room. Room cleaned every day to a high standard, No cockroaches! The food was excellent and very well presented. Any questions we had were dealt with quickly and pleasantly. Nothing too much trouble. All the staff were pleasant and made the effort to talk. At the welcome meeting there were 3 managers present including the General Manager which I thought was very professional. Okay it rained but only to be expected in September. To be honest to say it rained 6 out of 7 days it was only for a few hours at most and then it was brilliant sunshine. Thanks a lot Melia Tortuga for an excellent holiday. Will return. One last thing. The Thomson rep, Melissa, is the best rep we have ever encountered. Always a smile on her face and going that extra mile to help. An asset to the company and to the hotel.

Room Tip: All the buildings are two storey. I always go for 2nd storey to avoid and unwanted visitors!
3 Thank grumnally
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear grumnally,

Thank you for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your first visit to Cape Verde and for having set aside some time to write a review on our hotel.

It’s a pleasure to perceive that you have felt welcome from the start as our aim is to make this a home away from home where you can fully relax and enjoy the sun while we take care of everything for you.
My management team and I always like to greet our newly arrived guests and let them know that we are always available for any information or assistance that our guests may need.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff, messages from our guests are always shared with everyone as a motivation and to let them know that their effort and hard work are always appreciated and worthwhile.

I am glad to learn that our services are all according to your standards and I am already looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you once again in the near future.

barcelona
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Had a wonderful week at the Melia Tortuga earlier in the year, it was my first time in Cape Verde and the staff made me feel extremely welcome and relaxed at the hotel. When I asked about where to go on the Island, the staff were more than happy to let me know where the best places to go on the island was. The beaches were beautiful and the entire atmosphere was relaxing but fun at the same time. It was the perfect place to relax but also have a good time, I have already booked my next trip back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gabriella b
Dear gabriella b,

Thank you for having taken the time to write about your family holiday experience with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

I am very pleased to read that your first visit to Cape Verde had been a positive experience and that we were part of it. I am also glad that you were able to make the most of your holidays by visiting around the island.

My staff and I are already looking forward to welcoming you back to Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for another relaxing holiday hopefully very soon.

Best regards,
West Mids

Hotel - very nice.
Weather - tropical storms x 3 during 14 night stay
Food - well presented
Room - clean apart from cockroaches (hotel staff left us a spray for room)
staff - extremely helpful although a few tired faces
Animation team worked hard to involve guests

Sickness & Tummy upset - Both myself and my husband were ill for best part of first week and have just fully recovered! We believe that it was down to the glasses around the pool area not being washed out plus the ice was made from their own water which had a very strange smell???
Trip to Sante Maria - extremely quick almost a return taxi as not a good experience
Beach extremely disappointing as rocks large and most of the time the red flag was flying during our 14 days
tomson Rep Melissa always around during stay and keen to please....
Overall being ill made us definitely not wish to go back to this resort as it spoilt our holiday!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear joanieWestMids,

Thank you for having selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

Whilst it is nice to know that you found our hotel, the food, the room and the staff to be according to your standards I am sorry to read about some of the inconveniences that you experienced. Since Cape Verde is a tropical country and insects are abundant here, it makes it hard to avoid but not impossible. We suggest our guests to avoid leaving their terrace door or window open for too long especially in the evening to avoid the insects. The hotel has a pest control program in place by an internationally certified company which carries out their work routinely to ensure that everything is under control. However, rest assured that I have made note of this and have already taken measures to find a better solution to the issue.

Great care is taken to ensure the hygiene and safety of the food and drinks that we offer our guests which otherwise would have resulted in a general outbreak which was not the case. We also recommend our guests to avoid sunstrokes and drink plenty of water throughout the day. In case of an illness please report to us immediately so that you can be examined by a physician and the cause of indisposition can be accurately determined.

I hope that you will give us another chance to prove to you that we can guarantee your total satisfaction by visiting us again in the near future.

Best regards,
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Just returned from a 7 day holiday with my partner soon to be wife :-) this is only our second all inclusive holiday which we feel is our future way of holidaying, we were both very impressed by the standard at the hotel & our room, we only ate at the spice & o grill restaurants as pre booking to eat is not our thing but must say we loved what was on offer everyday, if your looking for a chilled do nothing holiday this is for you, we are seriously considering a return trip to Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach. missing it already

3 Thank Ian B
Dear Ian B,

I sincerely appreciate you having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the trouble to share your experience with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

From reading your description, I am very happy to perceive that we were able to cater to your room and holiday needs. Our aim is for our guests to fully relax and enjoy their stay while we take care of the rest for you.

I wish you and your fiancée all the best for your future together, hoping that next time you will take the opportunity to try out all of our outlets, I am already looking forward to welcoming you to our hotel again very soon.

With all my best wishes,
DERBYSHIRE
Reviewed September 14, 2013

First of all,would like to thank staff for accepting our e-mail request for an upper,quiet room with sea view(428).
The hotel and all its staff were first class,and the Thomsom rep,Melissa,was so helpful too,as we enjoyed the guided tour into Santa Maria on the Saturday morning.
Cannot fault the hotel itself,the rooms,pools,cleanliness etc,the downside is that you cannot access the sea here,due to viciuos rocks.We missed not being able to snorkel.
We stayed only for 1 week,and i had tummy upset half way through,and still suffering 4 days later after returning home.The food let the hotel down,not really catering for the English tastes im afraid !.
Transfers were good,but departure check in was a farce,20 mins on coach,50 mins queing to check in ? Only 1 desk available !.
Cape Verde,although lovely,not alot to do off campus,that may be a good thing,but unfortunately,not for us,we will not be returning !.
Just hope my tummy gets better in the next few days !!.

Room Tip: E-mail the hotel a couple of weeks before,it worked for us,though no gaurantees !
Dear BEAMOANDJOYCE,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

It’s a pleasure to be able to cater to your room request whenever there is an availability of a room according to your wish, however, this may not always be so.

I am very sorry to read about your tummy problem, we recommend our guests to immediately report these cases for us and see a physician for an examination so that we can determine the exact cause of your problem.

We always do our best to prepare a menu to cater to the different tastes of our international guests. The purchase, storage and preparation of our food is done according to the international standard of food safety and hygiene by certified chefs.

For guests who would like to do some water sports we suggest you contact the diving center where you could quite a vast array of activities to do. There are also a number of excursions that you could participate in to make the most of your stay.

I hope that I can persuade you to return and stay with us again in the not too distant future.