“Better than expected”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

First trip to Cape Verde and unsure what to expect and we were pleasantly surprised. Not too much to see on the island but we did get out and about. ALL the staff were friendly, very well trained and a credit to the management team. We have nothing to complain about - go on then - perhaps some mattresses for the sun loungers, they were a bit hard!! But all in all a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Perhaps keep away from reception end - the entertainment is just outside on a patio area, people dri...
3 Thank Jenny H
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear jennyandray74,

I appreciate you having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for setting aside some time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am happy to perceive that your first trip to Cape Verde was filled with positive impressions and that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and my management team, I will surely share your message with everyone to serve as an incentive to keep up with the good work.

Thank you for your suggestions, I have made note of them for future improvements of our services, and I hope that you will return to visit us again in the near future and allow me the pleasure of greeting you personally then.

Jose Luis Cuevas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Widnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our first trip to Cape Verde, which to be honest wasn't a mind blowing experience, Cape Verde is a place waiting to happen but it hasn't happened just yet.
Saying the above the disappointment with the island was more than made up for by the quality and excellence of the hotel, the staff and the food, top class all the way.
Check in and reception 1st class.
The rooms are spacious, clean and modern, Sky Tv in the bedrooms as well as the lounge.
We were all inclusive and this was excellent choice of food and quality,
The various pool areas are very well maintained and there is a quiet spot for everyone or at the main pool ab it more activity if required.
The beach restaurant is also a great place to eat all inclusive aswell.

Room Tip: I dont think there is a bad room on site
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank faser
Dear faser,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

I’m pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you were happy with our services. We work hard everyday to ensure that we deliver a high standard service to all of our guests through staff service, the maintenance of our hotel and the customer service that we offer our guests. We count always on the precious inputs from our guests to gain insight into how to develop and adapt our services to best meet your needs and expectations.

I hope that you will return to visit us again in the not too distant future for some more relaxing holidays.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

What’s Wrong with Hotel Melia Tortuga Beach ?

Nothing!!!!

What’s right about it ?

Everything else.

One of the nicest Hotels we have stayed in thanks mainly to Jose and Marco ( the Senior Management team ) however all the staff from the Gardeners, staff in the restaurants, bar staff and reception were pleasant and helpful. This is a great reflection on the management style.

Where do you see the General Manager help you with your bags on arrival and be there on departure to wish you a safe journey home ?

Don’t be put off by other reports. If you want milk or a teaspoon for your room ask for it, don’t moan when you get home, they are good but not mind readers. We ask for a clothes dryer to place on the balcony, it beat us back to the room and was followed up by a phone call to make sure it had arrived.

Jose is trying to make ones stay even better and says everything is not yet perfect maybe that’s one thing we disagree about !!

If you are going to Cape Verde do your research first, if you want an action packed rowdy holiday in a wind free environment it is properly not for you. If you want a relaxing time in a great suite of rooms with good food and a great atmosphere, clean large swimming pools then we would recommend it without reservation.

If you are thinking of visiting the Islands do it soon as I think it will develop out of all proportion in the next ten years or so.

Thank you Melia Tortuga you did what it said on the tin.

Room Tip: Nice quiet first floor room away from the main building.
2 Thank 35baron
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear 35baron,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the time to share your experience with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

It’s great to perceive that you have enjoyed your holidays with us and that you were happy with our services.

I genuinely appreciate your kind comments regarding my staff and my management team, I will certainly share your message with everyone and I am sure that they will be very happy to hear from you.

Everyday we strive to ensure that our guests are satisfied and that everything is according to their expectations. Our aim is to exceed your expectations hence why we will always keep working to improve our services even more everyday and we also count on the valuable feedback from our guests.

We are grateful for your feedback and for having recommended our hotel and we sincerely hope that we can count on another visit from you very soon and I look forward to greet again you personally then.

Limuru, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

- it is in great condition, lovely apartment style room (living room, kitchen, double en suite bedroom and twin en suite bedroom for one couple! Nice restaurants but very limited menu and pretty much the same. The O Grill on the beach was our favourite. Awful selection of drinks unless you pay extra. In fact you have to pay extra for everything - premium drinks, internet (available only in the lobby area) orange juice at breakfast, Bali beach beds, lobster. Service slow especially in the bar areas - not enough staff. Awful "entertainment" Nice location and lovely walk into Santa Maria - not much there but atmospheric and it stops you getting cabin fever. One or two of the staff were excellent - Elizabeth and Daniel, but most were very shy and very miserable. The biggest challenge was finding shelter on the beach from the very strong winds. Swimming not allowed in the sea for most of our stay (red flags). Very laid back and relaxed. Watch out for sunburn as the wind and lack of pollution makes the sun much stronger than you think. The only lobsters you didn't have to pay for were Brits who misjudged the sun!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CartwrightKenya
Dear CartwrightOxfordUK,

It’s nice to know that you were happy with your room and that you have had a relaxing holiday. I’m sorry to read that our food selection, our entertainment, our staff and our All Inclusive service did not fully meet your expectations. I hope that you took the opportunity to try out all of our restaurants and took part in all of our daily activity, the evening entertainment varies from day to day.

The extra services were provided for guests who would like to have a wider range of choices they are not part of the All Inclusive package. I’m quite surprised that you considered most of our staff to be shy and miserable as this is not what we have perceived from most of our guests.

I hope that you would return to visit us again in the near future and give us the opportunity to change your perception regarding our services.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just returned home from a fantastic fortnight at the Melia Tortuga. From the outset everything was how we envisaged it, the staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful, the resort was spottlessly clean and our suite exceeded our expectations. Our 4 year old daughter Izabella had the best time of her life, experiencing the fabulous Kids Club, were she was looked after by Evelyn, who entertained her with many activities in the mornings, learnt how to swim in the afternoon and the high light of her days was the amazing Mini Disco led by Ludmila. Izabella would also like to thank the "boss man" for his generosity. The food was great and plentiful, Christiano's Capoeira Crew was first class entertainment. We have already recommended the resort to our friends and are hopping to return in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jo z
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear jo z,

Thank you kindly for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your family holidays and for having taken the trouble to share your review with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

It’s a pleasure to perceive that you have had a fantastic fortnight with us and most importantly that that little Izabella had enjoyed her time at the Kids Club with Evelyn. I will forward your message with her and the rest of the entertainment team.

Thank you once again for having recommended us to your friends, it will be a pleasure to welcome them here and we also hope to have the satisfaction of welcoming your family again to our resort in the near future.

Best regards,
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I together with my mother in law went to Melia Tortuga Beach on 06/06/2013 for 2 weeks. Upon arrival the check in was a bit hectic but organised and the shuttle to our room was efficient and without delay. upon arrival we were surprised by our good friends from Liverpool and the following day we were then upgraded for free to a 4 Bedroom beachfront Villa with its own pool.
The complete resort was immaculately clean and everyone of the staff were friendly, helpful and could not do enough for you at all times. The restaurants were varied and the food was well cooked and well presented. Totally agree with Gillyrob about Elvis's cocktails, Moorish is the best word to describe these.
The Hotel manager was always to be seen walking about checking on various aspects of the area and aleays made time to talk to his guests. We found a beach bar about 30 mins walk toward Kite beach and the lobster and prawn was something that needs to be tried.......Special.
All in all We cannot praise the hotel enough and will certainly be returning within the next couple of years.

Room Tip: if there is a party of 6 or more ask for a free upgrade to a beach front Villa as they do not always...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CIDERMAN1
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear CIDERMAN1,

I am grateful that you have selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and that you have taken the trouble to share your opinion with us on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with your room. Room upgrades depend a lot on the availability of the villa itself.

It’s great to read that you were also pleased with the hotel cleanliness, the staff service and the food and beverage of our hotel. I will surely forward your message to Elvis and the other staff, who will be very happy to hear from you.

My management team and I are always available at the hotel to ensure that everything runs smoothly and to listen and offer any assistance to our guests, our main aim is for you to relax and enjoy your holidays.

We are already looking forward to another visit from you hopefully sooner than we expect.

Best regards,
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Melia Tortuga Beach Resort is a wonderful place to relax and unwind. The two storey buildings are beautifully designed and the spacious rooms and apartments are tastefully furnished. They are spread over extensive, attractively planted grounds down to the sea. All needs are catered for including large pools – quiet, activity and kids pools. The entertainment team deserve huge appreciation for their friendly enthusiasm, energy and obvious delight they have in performing the most amazing African and Brazilian dancing and the Capoeira show was stunning. The singer/guitarist Patrick Santos is also very talented.

The provision of four very different restaurants is very welcome. Our favourite place for lunch and dinner was the O Grille on the beach which has a great ambiance and where Gildo attended to us with great service and style. In fact the service throughout the hotel was exemplary – friendly and efficient and delivered with a smile. The bar on the beach is such a relaxing place to enjoy a drink whether it be an after lunch coffee or pre-dinner cocktail overlooking the wide sandy beach and sea. Antonio’s pride in his job was evident by the way he kept the bar area spotlessly clean and tidy.

I am coeliac so I need to eat gluten free which is always a concern when on holiday. I need not have worried as Marco, the Operations Manager, introduced me to Vera, the food manager, on the first day. She was extremely helpful by ensuring that at whichever restaurant we ate, gluten free courses had been prepared for me in advance. I really appreciated her help which gave me peace of mind.
The efficient management of the hotel is highly noticeable as the General and Operations Managers have a regular presence around the hotel. Mr Cuevas shows great attention to detail and both my husband and I, having stayed in hotels all around the world, were impressed by the way the hotel is run.

It is worth venturing out of the hotel to visit the island on the 4x4 Jeep tour which includes the opportunity to float in the salt lake in an extinct volcano where it is impossible to sink! Do also get the free shuttle bus into the local town – Santa Maria. The swarm of people descending on you as you get off the bus can be annoying so you need to be firm but friendly. We met a local called David on the pier who told us about life in Cape Verde and took us to his small shop where we bought some beautiful wooden carvings – his manner was very good which made it a pleasure to do business with him. Go to the pier about 11am when you can see the day’s catch being landed – we saw big yellow fin tuna as well as lots of smaller fish.

Very small areas for improvement of the Melia Tortuga I would suggest are firstly the option of some spicy food in the restaurants and secondly the provision of some parasols for the outdoor entertainment area if you want to enjoy a drink sitting outside during the day.

All in all – a brilliant holiday!

Room Tip: Overlooking the quiet pool on the first floor.
2 Thank Sue D
Dear Sue D,

We are grateful that you have selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the trouble to share your experience with us.

From your review I can observe that you have fully enjoyed your stay with us and this gives me a great satisfaction as it means that we are on the right track with our services. We are of course also fully aware that there are still many areas to improve and we are working daily on that. I believe that we never stop moving ahead and we must keep on developing a service that meets all the needs and expectations of our most distinguished guests.
I have shared your message with my management team as well as my staff and everyone was very happy to hear from you. This kind of feedback serves as an incentive not only to the people mentioned here but to everyone to continue on offering an outstanding service to our guests.

It is important for us that you get to enjoy your holidays and that you feel at home with us, hence we will do the best that we can to make sure that this is so. And I am glad that both you and your husband have been able to enjoy your meals at our restaurants.

I think that it is great that you also took the opportunity to get acquainted with the local scenery and day to day activities and bought a souvenir to take home with you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and suggestions, I hope that you will return to visit us again in the near future.

Warm regards,