“Relaxing holiday in the wind....”

Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Santa Maria
Limuru, Kenya
“Relaxing holiday in the wind....”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

- it is in great condition, lovely apartment style room (living room, kitchen, double en suite bedroom and twin en suite bedroom for one couple! Nice restaurants but very limited menu and pretty much the same. The O Grill on the beach was our favourite. Awful selection of drinks unless you pay extra. In fact you have to pay extra for everything - premium drinks, internet (available only in the lobby area) orange juice at breakfast, Bali beach beds, lobster. Service slow especially in the bar areas - not enough staff. Awful "entertainment" Nice location and lovely walk into Santa Maria - not much there but atmospheric and it stops you getting cabin fever. One or two of the staff were excellent - Elizabeth and Daniel, but most were very shy and very miserable. The biggest challenge was finding shelter on the beach from the very strong winds. Swimming not allowed in the sea for most of our stay (red flags). Very laid back and relaxed. Watch out for sunburn as the wind and lack of pollution makes the sun much stronger than you think. The only lobsters you didn't have to pay for were Brits who misjudged the sun!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CartwrightKenya
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear CartwrightOxfordUK,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

It’s nice to know that you were happy with your room and that you have had a relaxing holiday. I’m sorry to read that our food selection, our entertainment, our staff and our All Inclusive service did not fully meet your expectations. I hope that you took the opportunity to try out all of our restaurants and took part in all of our daily activity, the evening entertainment varies from day to day.

The extra services were provided for guests who would like to have a wider range of choices they are not part of the All Inclusive package. I’m quite surprised that you considered most of our staff to be shy and miserable as this is not what we have perceived from most of our guests.

I hope that you would return to visit us again in the near future and give us the opportunity to change your perception regarding our services.

Kind regards,
Jose Luis Cuevas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We have just returned home from a fantastic fortnight at the Melia Tortuga. From the outset everything was how we envisaged it, the staff were welcoming, friendly and helpful, the resort was spottlessly clean and our suite exceeded our expectations. Our 4 year old daughter Izabella had the best time of her life, experiencing the fabulous Kids Club, were she was looked after by Evelyn, who entertained her with many activities in the mornings, learnt how to swim in the afternoon and the high light of her days was the amazing Mini Disco led by Ludmila. Izabella would also like to thank the "boss man" for his generosity. The food was great and plentiful, Christiano's Capoeira Crew was first class entertainment. We have already recommended the resort to our friends and are hopping to return in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jo z
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear jo z,

Thank you kindly for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your family holidays and for having taken the trouble to share your review with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

It’s a pleasure to perceive that you have had a fantastic fortnight with us and most importantly that that little Izabella had enjoyed her time at the Kids Club with Evelyn. I will forward your message with her and the rest of the entertainment team.

Thank you once again for having recommended us to your friends, it will be a pleasure to welcome them here and we also hope to have the satisfaction of welcoming your family again to our resort in the near future.

Best regards,
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My wife and I together with my mother in law went to Melia Tortuga Beach on 06/06/2013 for 2 weeks. Upon arrival the check in was a bit hectic but organised and the shuttle to our room was efficient and without delay. upon arrival we were surprised by our good friends from Liverpool and the following day we were then upgraded for free to a 4 Bedroom beachfront Villa with its own pool.
The complete resort was immaculately clean and everyone of the staff were friendly, helpful and could not do enough for you at all times. The restaurants were varied and the food was well cooked and well presented. Totally agree with Gillyrob about Elvis's cocktails, Moorish is the best word to describe these.
The Hotel manager was always to be seen walking about checking on various aspects of the area and aleays made time to talk to his guests. We found a beach bar about 30 mins walk toward Kite beach and the lobster and prawn was something that needs to be tried.......Special.
All in all We cannot praise the hotel enough and will certainly be returning within the next couple of years.

Room Tip: if there is a party of 6 or more ask for a free upgrade to a beach front Villa as they do not always...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank CIDERMAN1
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear CIDERMAN1,

I am grateful that you have selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and that you have taken the trouble to share your opinion with us on Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were happy with your room. Room upgrades depend a lot on the availability of the villa itself.

It’s great to read that you were also pleased with the hotel cleanliness, the staff service and the food and beverage of our hotel. I will surely forward your message to Elvis and the other staff, who will be very happy to hear from you.

My management team and I are always available at the hotel to ensure that everything runs smoothly and to listen and offer any assistance to our guests, our main aim is for you to relax and enjoy your holidays.

We are already looking forward to another visit from you hopefully sooner than we expect.

Best regards,
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The Melia Tortuga Beach Resort is a wonderful place to relax and unwind. The two storey buildings are beautifully designed and the spacious rooms and apartments are tastefully furnished. They are spread over extensive, attractively planted grounds down to the sea. All needs are catered for including large pools – quiet, activity and kids pools. The entertainment team deserve huge appreciation for their friendly enthusiasm, energy and obvious delight they have in performing the most amazing African and Brazilian dancing and the Capoeira show was stunning. The singer/guitarist Patrick Santos is also very talented.

The provision of four very different restaurants is very welcome. Our favourite place for lunch and dinner was the O Grille on the beach which has a great ambiance and where Gildo attended to us with great service and style. In fact the service throughout the hotel was exemplary – friendly and efficient and delivered with a smile. The bar on the beach is such a relaxing place to enjoy a drink whether it be an after lunch coffee or pre-dinner cocktail overlooking the wide sandy beach and sea. Antonio’s pride in his job was evident by the way he kept the bar area spotlessly clean and tidy.

I am coeliac so I need to eat gluten free which is always a concern when on holiday. I need not have worried as Marco, the Operations Manager, introduced me to Vera, the food manager, on the first day. She was extremely helpful by ensuring that at whichever restaurant we ate, gluten free courses had been prepared for me in advance. I really appreciated her help which gave me peace of mind.
The efficient management of the hotel is highly noticeable as the General and Operations Managers have a regular presence around the hotel. Mr Cuevas shows great attention to detail and both my husband and I, having stayed in hotels all around the world, were impressed by the way the hotel is run.

It is worth venturing out of the hotel to visit the island on the 4x4 Jeep tour which includes the opportunity to float in the salt lake in an extinct volcano where it is impossible to sink! Do also get the free shuttle bus into the local town – Santa Maria. The swarm of people descending on you as you get off the bus can be annoying so you need to be firm but friendly. We met a local called David on the pier who told us about life in Cape Verde and took us to his small shop where we bought some beautiful wooden carvings – his manner was very good which made it a pleasure to do business with him. Go to the pier about 11am when you can see the day’s catch being landed – we saw big yellow fin tuna as well as lots of smaller fish.

Very small areas for improvement of the Melia Tortuga I would suggest are firstly the option of some spicy food in the restaurants and secondly the provision of some parasols for the outdoor entertainment area if you want to enjoy a drink sitting outside during the day.

All in all – a brilliant holiday!

Room Tip: Overlooking the quiet pool on the first floor.
2 Thank Sue D
Dear Sue D,

We are grateful that you have selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the trouble to share your experience with us.

From your review I can observe that you have fully enjoyed your stay with us and this gives me a great satisfaction as it means that we are on the right track with our services. We are of course also fully aware that there are still many areas to improve and we are working daily on that. I believe that we never stop moving ahead and we must keep on developing a service that meets all the needs and expectations of our most distinguished guests.
I have shared your message with my management team as well as my staff and everyone was very happy to hear from you. This kind of feedback serves as an incentive not only to the people mentioned here but to everyone to continue on offering an outstanding service to our guests.

It is important for us that you get to enjoy your holidays and that you feel at home with us, hence we will do the best that we can to make sure that this is so. And I am glad that both you and your husband have been able to enjoy your meals at our restaurants.

I think that it is great that you also took the opportunity to get acquainted with the local scenery and day to day activities and bought a souvenir to take home with you.

Thank you once again for your feedback and suggestions, I hope that you will return to visit us again in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Have been home a week now after a wonderful fortnight at the Melia Tortuga. This hotel ticked all the boxes, the staff were so friendly & helpful, food was wonderful as was the accommodation and the grounds. I could go on forever singing its praises.....but will just mention that Elvis's cocktails were the best ever and the wahoo fish at the O'Grille was to die for. I give this hotel a massive 10/10 Thankyou for a wonderful holiday

Room Tip: No tip needed I booked a 1 bedroom suite & was given a 2 bedroom appt
1 Thank Gillyrob
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Gillyrob,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the time to share your review with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor.

I am so pleased to read that we have ticked all the boxes and that you have enjoyed your stay with us, it is very important for us that all of our guests take pleasure in their stay and receive the five star service that they deserve.

I appreciate your kind comments about the staff, I will surely forward your message to them especially Elvis and I hope that I can look forward to another visit from you in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Traveled as a couple for a week, returned two days ago. First impressions were very good, the hotel is modern and attractive, and always kept extremely clean. We particularly liked that we were given a large 2 bedroom apartment for just the two of us, it was very spacious with all modern appliances and a lovely balcony. Many reviews have said the upper floor gets no bugs however we did get a few, no more than anywhere else hot though and this is to be expected. The separation of a quiet pool and a loud pool meant you can choose where to sit depending on your mood and there are always plenty of sunbeds as the resort didn't seem very busy, later in summer this may change as more families visit. Also, the fact that there are 4 places to eat meant that there was always variety and the food was very nice, as was the choice of drinks. The weather is very consistently hot too.
The only negative of our whole holiday was that we seemed to be continuously overlooked in the main buffet restaurant when it came to being offered a drink. The only drinks you could get yourself were water and juice, any soft drinks or alcohol have to be served to you. On many occasions we would have nearly finished eating before we were offered a drink. Although it seems a small problem, it started to become quite annoying by the end of the week.
Overall, we had a lovely time and would recommend visiting the island.

2 Thank Paige L
Dear Paige L,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the time to write about your opinion on Tripadvisor.

It is great to perceive that you have had an enjoyable holiday with us and that you were happy with your room, the food variety, the pools and the cleanliness of the hotel. As you have mentioned bugs are hard to avoid in the hot weather although we do have a routine disinfestations program in place to ensure that these do not become a nuisance to our guests.

I have made note your observation regarding the restaurant service and I will certainly look into it for the improvement of our services and of course to ensure the complete satisfaction of all of our guests.

I hope that with such a great impression we can look forward to another visit from you hopefully very soon.

Kind regards,
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Melia Tortuga was our destination for one week, mid May.

On arrival check in involved a small wait, but it is impossible for any business to serve 30 people all at once. That said, check in was smooth, with pleasant, polite and helpful Reception staff. We were taken to our room via a resort buggy.

Our room (apartment) was spotlessly clean on arrival, and this was maintained throughout the week. Kettle, tea, coffee, iron, ironing board and clothes airer all provided and the apartment was very spacious and comfortable.

The resort restaurants are fabulous, with Spices being the main buffet restaurant and 3 others which are booking only. We encountered no problems doing this and tried them all, Aqua being our favourite. My husband is quite particular about food, not adventurous at all, but he claimed it was the best food we'd ever had on holiday. Praise indeed coming from him!

All the staff we met during our week were very helpful and courteous, and service standards very high.

There is a complimentary minibus which takes you into Santa Maria several times each day, which is helpful.

I really cannot fault the hotel, my only minor niggle was that the sunbeds were a little tired and not overly comfy, but it really doesn't detract from the high standards throughout the rest of the Melia Tortuga.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zoe H
Dear dosest,

I sincerely appreciate you having selected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and you having taken the time to share about your experience with us and with other fellow travelers on Tripadvisor,

It’s great to perceive that you have had a smooth check in on your arrival and that you were happy with your room, we do understand that this is very important and that you feel welcome and relaxed especially after a long flight and extensive hours of waiting at the airports.

I am very pleased to know that you husband have enjoyed the food, we feel honoured to have received a praise from such a rigorous guest such as himself.

Thank you also for your nice comments regarding the staff, I am very proud to have such a professional and courteous team working with me.

My staff and I are already looking forward to the pleasure of receiving another visit from you and your husband hopefully very soon.