Stayed 2 weeks 24 Jan - 7 Feb 13. Having booked 10 months in advance, we read the many reviews on TripAdvisor and went with some trepidation. It is, after all, Africa....
Absolutely nothing to criticise. This is a resort that has matured quickly in two years and we found none of the grumbles we had read about. It is interesting that most recent reviews are generally favourable so it suggests management has been attentive to the criticisms and effective action taken to rectify them. One thing worthy of note - hardly a day went by without seeing the "suits" (top managers) out and about early in the day and through to the evening within various parts of the resort, overseeing, tweaking a bit here and there - real hands-on stuff that we reckon really makes a difference in terms of smooth running and anticipating problems before they arise.
What did we appreciate? 1. The staff - always smiling and cheerful and trying to do their best - all of them from the security guys, the room maids,waiters, reception and animators - might not speak good English but they all communicated effectively and pleasantly.
2. The gardens - nicely laid out plenty of green shrubs trees and grass (nothing like the barren brochure pics now probably 2 years old), an oasis in what is otherwise a desert island.
3. The variety of restaurants and the lovely fresh seafood.
Will we go back - like a shot, but perhaps next time explore another island - Boa Vista seems to be coming up to a similar standard.
You could go a long way and pay a lot more for a place to equal this to escape the European winter. Bravo, Melia Tortuga Beach Resort!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The 5 star Melia Tortuga All-Inclusive Resort is located in the southeast of the island Sal, only a few minutes from the colourful town Santa María and Amilcar Cabral international airport. During your stay you will find relaxation and fun right on the fabulous Algodoeiro beach, with its white sand and turquoise waters. The resort offers spectacular suites and villas with up to 4 bedrooms, private garden and swimming-pool. Set in gardens there are 2 magnificent adult pools and 2 pools for children. Experience Yhi Wellness with sauna, Turkish bath, whirlpool, thermal circuit, fitness facilities, massage and beauty treatments. Dining options include a variety of 4 restaurants and bars, offering a selection of international and local cuisine. The Melia Tortuga All-Inclusive is also the perfect destination for windsurfing, kitesurfing or scuba diving. Events for up to 200 people can be organised in 2 meeting rooms with natural daylight. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and HotelQuickly so you can book your Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa Cape Verde/Ilha Do Sal - Santa Maria