“Fantastic Holiday”

Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here from 23/01 until 06/02 and can honestly say we thoroughly enjoyed it. From the swift and efficient check in, to our lovely two bedroom suite we could not find fault. Our room was kept spotless throughout our stay, we had a plentiful supply of clean towels, toiletries and our bed was changed regularly. I must comment here on the wonderful quality of the mattress - excellent. We ate at the al a carte restaurants most nights and despite previous reviews we never had a problem booking, as we popped into see the helpful young lady on our way to lunch and never nice had to queue. The food was excellent, I especially enjoyed the abundance of fresh salad and fruit, I even had a lovely meal at the waterside fish restaurant ( I don't usually eat fish but it was delicious ). We had breakfast most mornings at waterside which was always lovely - the toaster is the slowest I have every known though but hey - you are on holiday what is the rush. My OH was very impressed with the Gym ( the treadmill was not working but he still managed a good work out everyday). The staff could not have done more for us, nothing was too much trouble. Elvis and David at the pool bar, the staff at O'Grille especially the head waiter were excellent. Our shower head broke and was fixed within the hour and followed with a courtesy call to ensure we were happy with everything. We witnessed the general manager and the food manager constantly walking round checking all was ok and checking in with guests to make sure everyone was happy . We enjoyed the drinks available, cava, beer, red and white wine were our favourites and the sway bar makes an excellent coffee. We also met some lovely people whilst there -Hi to Chris and Dave and Pete and Gaynor. The whole holiday was excellent, we actually sat and thought what would make this the best holiday ever and the only things we would change would be heated pools and easy access to the sea as not being able to swim in the sea was a shame but did not spoil our holiday. please do not be put off by the negative views, we would recommend this hotel without hesitation and will be returning as soon as we can.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lesleyandbrian
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear lesleyandbrian,

Thank you for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having taken the trouble to share your comments and feedback with us.

It’s very satisfying to know that you both have enjoyed your stay with us and that the check in, the suite and the housekeeping service met your expectations.

I’m also glad to read that you were happy with the food at the restaurants especially the fish, the fresh salad and fruits. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff members especially Elvis and David, who I’m sure, will be very happy to hear from you. My management team and I are always available and more than happy to listen to our guests and assist them in any way possible.

Once again I genuinely appreciate you having recommended our hotel to other prospective guests, I will look forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the nearest future.

Cordially,
Jose Luis Cuevas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Melia Tortuga Beach between 31st Jan and 7th Feb 2013 and had a great time.

We have previously been to Boa Vista so knew the planes would be cramped and again we experienced this on the outward journey but had a new layout plane on the return journey with plenty of leg room. We were not aware that Thompson no longer provide any films / TV entertainment on board though and so my partner paid £7.50 for a personal entertainment system.

We had no problems at the airport and check-in at the hotel was very slow as everyone had to fill out forms. If we had been given the forms at the airport with the Thompson pack to fill out on the coach the process would have been much quicker. The staff did apologise for the long wait but it wasn't a major problem.

Our room, as described by many others, was large - two bathrooms, lounge area, dining table, fully fitted kitchen, two bedrooms and balcony. We had a room overlooking the sea and in our block of 8 rooms for most of the holiday there was only one other guest. We did buy milk in Santa Maria so we could have a cup of tea whenever we wanted (you have to request milk if you order tea at the bar). Our room was cleaned every day but one day it was early about 9am and the next about 4pm continuing like this all week.

The pool was cold so I barely went in it and we had the red flag for the sea on most days, but with the wind on Sal you don't feel the need to dip in the pool every 5 minutes to cool off. We had no problems with the towels either.

The sun got warm enough to sunbathe about 10.30am and seemed to cool about 4pm and the sunsets weren't until about 6.30pm. The evenings were cooler than I expected so a cardigan was necessary and when it rained (a rare occurrence) people wore fleeces etc.

I had no problems with the bar service. Much slower than what you get in other countries but the staff were always pleasant. Unlike some other All Inclusive holidays we have been on the beer felt like it contained alcohol and the vodka measures were large!

The restaurant food was lovely. We ate every breakfast and lunch meal in the Spices buffet restaurant and felt there was a good choice and lovely tasting food. We tried all of the other restaurants (we did not need to queue to book them at all) and had lovely meals there too. The service was slow, especially at providing drinks, but if there were more staff it would have worked better. We were on holiday to relax and so were not bothered with the service although many others were.

The evening entertainment worked perfectly for this hotel. We normally go for a hotel with full-on dance / singing performances on stage but this was very low key, started at a good time, and just seemed to work well. The singers, dancers and musicians were great.

We went on the 4x4 island tour which was interesting as we wanted to compare the landscape of Sal to what we had seen on Boa Vista. I think the trip was more expensive than what it should have been but it was enjoyable.

We visited Santa Maria once and were happy that we did not stay at a hotel here. We are not fans of tourist shops and people trying to sell you tacky items and hassling you. There was very little to do there anyway. The beach was nicer and you could go into the sea there but for us personally the Melia was situated in the better position.

We went to Sal and the Melia Tortuga Beach for a relaxing holiday and this is what we got. The staff were all friendly, they said hello and smiled and were very pleasant. We wish you a pleasant stay if you are about to go there.

6 Thank Lauren S
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Lauren S,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to share your comments and feedback with us.

I’m happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you were very happy with your suite, the staff friendliness, the bars and the restaurants. Our entertainment concept is softer compared to some hotels but we strive to offer you a high quality product.

It’s great that you expectation for a relaxing holiday was met and I hope that you will return to visit us again in the near future.

Cordially,
Jose Luis Cuevas,
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

My hubby and I have just returned from the Melia Tortuga Beach in Cape Verde. This hotel was excellent in so many ways - firstly the food - we ate in all three a la carte restaurants and the buffet and each meal was a delight - the fish particularly was wonderful and included tuna,swordfish and the best mussells we have had in ages! We also had the lobster meal (an extra cost - but worth it) and it was a really fantastic evening with the guitatr playing and singing in the background. The room we had was a delightful suite with two bedrooms , two bathrooms and a living area with small kitchen - we were really spoiled..The entertainment was really good - delivered each evening in a range of venues - including the beach bar, the piazza and the main bar. I would particulaly wish to congratulate Riccardo and Sylvia - sImply the best hotel group I have ever heard - a fantastic paitr of voices and the most amazing guitar playing - they really moved us both.

We have to compliment the management of this hotel - they not only introduced themselves to us on arrival but were visible and approachable all hours of the day and night - we have never seen a hotel who tries so hard to address your comments - immediately when possible.The staff were also extremely hard working and friendly.

The climate in Cape Verde was perfect with the sun shining and a steady breeze keeping things pleasant. We did not see a mosquito the whole holiday - which was a great bonus as we normally have to smother ourselves with repellant to prevent being bitten.

A couple of minor comments that stopped this being the perfect holiday was that even though the beach was lovely, access to the sea is virtually impossible due to the rocky nature of the water and no floating jetty as mentioned in the brochure (broken up behind the watersports centre) and the pool was quite cold so not as much swimming as usual unfortunately.That said because of the breeze we were able to enjoy the sun. We would happily reccommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank ChrisandDave_11
Dear ChrisandDave_11,

Thank you for having chosen Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

I’m pleased to read that you have enjoyed your fortnight with us and I’m glad that you were pleased with the fish and seafood dishes, as fish and seafood at the island are the freshest product available. It’s also great that the suite was up to your standards and the entertainment was good, we will forward your message to Ricardo and Silvia, who I’m sure will be pleased to hear from you.

Thank you for having recommended our hotel to other prospective guests, I hope that we can count on your return in the not too distant future.

Sincerely yours,
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a week at this hotel. We were give a two bedded suite instead of one bedroom, however it overlooked the road. Room was huge, beds very comfortable, cleaned everyday. It took us a while to figure out getting clean sheets involved leaving the leaflet on the bed, our fault as we didn't read 'in room' info. The bath was never cleaned though. Take your own hairdryer, theirs was broken and had one very hot setting.
The grounds, pool, beach were all kept clean.
Service at bars could be very slow. Service in restaurants was one night very speedy and on another occasion we fetched our own menu after 20-30 minute wait! Staff on the whole were friendly and we felt the fault lay with management and general lack of training for staff.
Food was limited in Ogrille restaurant to 3 choices of menu..goat,fish or chicken main course.however, the..setting was on the beach and in January thats a treat!
We would return as the 6 hour flight for warm weather was worth it

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank MariaM12150
Dear MariaM12150,

Thank you for having elected Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa for your holidays and for your time in reviewing our hotel.

I’m glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay, I have taken into account your comments regarding the bathroom and the hairdryer and will investigate into it and make the necessary improvements. During very busy hours it is normal that you are required to wait up to a few minutes until they could serve you, our staff are under continuous on the job training and I’m sure that they will improve with time since five star service concept is fairly new in the island.

I would recommend you to try out all of our restaurants for different meal times for a more variety and choice throughout the week.

I will certainly be looking forward to welcome you to our hotel on your next visit, hopefully it will be very soon.

Best regards,
Chester
Reviewed February 8, 2013

On arrival at the airport, Thompsons had failed (again) to have landing cards available so the had to be completed in the arrivals hall which was chaotic. Passport control moved at a snails pace and it took over an hour to get through........although the crew pushed in and went straight through in front of the passengers (we found them relaxing at the bar when we arrived at the hotel!). The islands motto is no stress, that certainly isn't the case at the airport, both ways.
The hotel must be under new management as there seems to have been a knee jerk reaction to some negative Trip Advisor reviews. Firstly, eggs at breakfast aren't now to order. They cook loads of omelettes and fried eggs and put them in trays so theres no waiting. well, I prefer to wait and have a fresh omelette of my choice rather than plain or cheese ready cooked. The food at lunch time in the buffet restaurant is poor. we prefer to eat later so by 1.30 the food has been sitting there a while and often isnt hot and a bit stale. We went in early on our last day and the food was superb. Final moan, they have got a system in the themed restaurants where you have to book in advance, fair enough, but for two of them you also have to choose what you are going top eat which could be a week hence, very strange.
Apart from that it is chill out. The rooms are superb, cleaned daily, the staff are also great especially those in the Sway Bar. The beach is great although red flagged nearly every day we were there. If you walk around to the left about 15 minutes there is a lovely sandy beach where you can go into the water regardless of conditions. The huge waves are great fun but beware, there is a strong current.
Despite the moans we had another great holiday although will probably give the five star in Boa Vista a go next year.

Room Tip: 495 overlooking the main pool with nice balcony
3 Thank Steviec1
Dear Steviec1,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays for the second time with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

Although I’m glad to read that you had another great holiday I have noticed that there were some aspects which you were not pleased with, therefore please allow me clarify some points mentioned in your review.

Firstly, due to long queue we have had to prepare the eggs at a quicker pace to avoid our guests having to get in line for an omelette or fried eggs, however you can still order them on the spot if you so wish.

Secondly the booking system is in place to enable us to offer you a more personalised and prompt service, you could choose to make your booking and return later to choose which menu you prefer. All the booking is done at the Late Bar which is calm, comfortable and air conditioned and open from 10:30 am to 4:00 pm, so you will have enough time throughout the day to come in and make your reservations.

We are continuously listening to our guests and your feedback is valuable for us as they will enable us to keep on improving our services day by day and ensure that your satisfaction is met.

I hope that I can persuade you to change your mind and give us the pleasure of your visit in the near future.

Kind regards,
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just returned from a weeks break at this hotel.Really good experience. Staff friendly and helpful. Within an hour of reporting a broken t.v. it was replaced. The buffet was fine and the food replaced continually so nice and fresh.Accomodation large and spacious with fresh towels provided daily.Drinks ok, have had worse.The pools and surroundings were lovely.I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel and, in fact, looking forward to returning in the near future.
The only downside is the journey there and back. From checking in baggage to reaching the departure gate at Sal took 2.5hrs in 3 separate queues.No time for even a drink before we boarded our flight.

3 Thank JLS2803
TortugaManager, Director General at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear JLS2803,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to share your opinion with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your holidays here and that you were happy with your room, all the restaurants, pools and our staff service. I’m sure that they will be happy to hear from you and your message will serve as a motivation for them to keep up with the good work.

All the comments and feedbacks from our guests are very important for us as they will also serve as guidelines on how to keep developing a service that ensures their complete satisfaction, which is our main aim.

Thank you for recommending our hotel, we hope that you will return to visit us again as we value greatly our loyal customers and I will look forward to greeting you personally during your next visit.

Best regards,
Devizes, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Just got back from a two week break in this super resort. Have read other reviews and can understand some of the negative comments. However it's the whole picture that matters and we felt this hotel was excellent. The moment you arrive, you are met by a feeling of quality.
The resort is less than 2 years old and is beautifully designed. The gardens are exquisite and the the layout is tastefully designed to make the accomodation appear private and well spaced. What super pool areas as well!!
The accomodation is chic and airy with quality furniture and fittings. There is even a kitchen (with fridge) if you wish to entertain friends etc. The beds are extremely comfortable and the balconies/patios are large and well thought out.
The resort is located approx a mile away from the local town of Santa Maria which is well worth a visit. For those less energetic, there is a free courtesy bus from the hotel on a regular basis. For the energetic ones, there is a super walk back along a stunning beach - but wear plenty of sun screen as it takes a while and is much further than the road but don't worry, what better way to work up a good thirst.
Drinks are pretty standard fare for this type of all inclusive package. Some are excellent and others are poor. The cocktails were very excellent (but limited in choice), as was the Cava, but the wine quality, we felt, was poor. (However,we are aware that the hotel is looking to improve the wine in the near future).
Again, we agree with some reviews in that the meal booking practice was bizzare and required some time to go through as you had to book your chosen restaurant and also your choice of food. This was a major annoyance as you want to be out in the sun enjoying yourself, not standing in a long queue waiting to see if you can eat where you want and, of course, at the preferred time you want (all the best time slots were gone if you were at the back of the queue).
The restaurants were excellent overall but we must say that we found the 'O Grill Beach Bar' to be our favourite. The location is sublime with good entertainment and a view of the setting sun over the sea to die for.
The quality and selection of food for the breakfast buffet was superb and catered for all nationalities.
Lunch and dinner menus were high in quality especially the fresh fish which is served in abundance - well done.
The resort is very clean and you will always see staff constantly cleaning everywhere. Hygiene is of an extremely high standard but we must stress that in many cases it's the hygiene standards of the guests themselves that can cause the problems. (we noticed numerous cases where guests used their hands to pick up food rather than the numerous tongs provided). It would therefore be unfair to blame this, or in fact any hotel, for any perceived lack of hygiene in this area.
Last, but not least, it's the staff that make this hotel a cut above the rest. We cannot stress how much the staff try to please you in every way they can. Most staff can speak English, together with Spanish and French. However the official language here is Portuguese but most locals speak a Portuguese creole which is difficult to understand.
However, if you take the time to learn the basics, such as hello, thank-you etc, a large smile will errupt on their faces and you will be elevated to a star guest in seconds. Try it and see.
So, in a nutshell, the choice is yours. If you want a fabulous resort in the sun which is quiet and tasteful, with an air of decadence, this is the place.

Room Tip: All rooms appear good and the layout allows for as much privacy as you might want. Live entertainmen...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Richard P
TortugaManager, Director General at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Richard P,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your family holidays at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to share your kind review with us.

It gives me a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for acknowledging the friendliness of our staff, I’m glad that they made you feel welcome, your satisfaction is very important for us.

I’m also glad that you enjoyed our gardens, pools, rooms and the service at the restaurants and that the housekeeping service is up to your standards.

We sincerely appreciate you having recommended our hotel and I will look forward to meeting you and your family personally during your next visit.

Kind regards,