“Don't go” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
newcastle
“Don't go”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

unless you are prepared to stay by pool all day or in your room with a stomach upset. I was so disappointed with this holiday that I wrote to Thomsons with a list of issues and am still awaiting the courtesy of a reply. If they display the same interest as their rep I don't expect to hear from them. I travel on holiday five or six times a year (being lucky enough to take early retirement in my mid 50s) and this is the first time I have made a complaint to the tour operator.

This is not 5 star, the accommodation is lovely but 4 star and the food is at best 3star. The only saving grace with the food is the breakfast served in the large canteen called Spice. However, because of the flies we did not eat the uncovered food but had omlettes every morning. The juice appeared to be coloured water.

The lunch menus at O'Grille and Waterside did not change during the two weeks - we preferred to go to Waterside for lunch (less flies) as there was an option to have meat or fish freshley grilled. The container holding the raw meat and fish had a lid but this was never in place. We just hoped the grill would kill off any bacteria.

The booking system for the "specialist" restaurants is flawed. Often people turned up but bookings had been lost. Also, have to choose menu at time of booking. Not difficult after first two visits as menus did not vary.

We both suffered upset stomachs which is rare for us - we spoke to others who had also been ill during their stay.

I spoke to the rep about the dining arrangements and my husband said you are wasting your breath. She asked if I would like to speak to the food manager - I am still waiting so I was wasting my time.

Apart from the food which was awful, the drinks quality was poor (exception being the beer). No update of water, tea and coffee in room. Had to gather our tea/coffee provisions at breakfast and carry glasses of milk back to the room - 5star?

We tried to get clean beach towels on several occasions at diffirent times but were only successful once. Beds were removed from the beach to the pool area to cater for demand there but this caused problems at the beach. Had to go earlier to get a bed and some shade. It clearly states beds cannot be booked but we saw beds "booked" but unused for several hours. Not fair on people who are actually at the beach or pool who cannot get a bed (this is not unique to tortuga but they do have notices up but no-one does anything about it).

The towels were remove from our room but not replaced immediately. Had to ring several times to get clean towels delivered. I like to get showered on return from beach and some days had to wait until 6.30 pm before the towels were delivered.

A couple of repairs were carried out quickly and reception rang to confirm work had been done.

There is quite a lot of noise from building work nearby - which may be from the hotel being developed by the same conmpany.

We were amused to see the management in evidence at the start of our holiday when they were entertaining VIPs (tour companies perhaps) and they were desperately trying to chase away flies from the tables . . .

We actually asked if flights were available a week earlier. They were but we were told we had to pay again for them at a cost of £199 each. Most airlines only charge an admin fee for this - Easyjet certainly do this. Also disappointed wth the meal on the flight (although I agree with an earlier reviewer that it was better than anything we had at this hotel). Why have Thomsons stopped serving tea and coffee with the meals? More lucrative to behave like the budget airlines perhaps.

I have been honest when people have asked me about my holiday. The climate is wonderful, the accommodation was clean and spacious but the food was poor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear sib1007,

Thank you for having chosen to stay at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

I’m sad to hear that your holiday with us did not go according to your expectations. It’s a pity that you did not take the opportunity to give us your feedback during your stay as we have a guest experience staff available to listen to our guests.

I’m sorry that our food and drinks were not up to your standards. Our food is prepared from the best quality products available and their preparation and display are made according to the highest health and safety standards. We also have a routine disinfestations program in place by having in mind that in a tropical country such as Cape Verde insects can be a problem.

Stomach problems can be caused by several sources, had this been caused by the food then there would have been an outbreak which was not the case. It could have been something consumed outside of the hotel.

Once again thank you for having shared your comments with us as it is very important for the improvement of our services. We hope that you will give us another chance and return to visit us again in the near future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (625)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

This is my third visit to this hotel and I found it faultless to be honest. I Travel extensively round the world with my job and this hotel ranks in my top three.

I do plan on going back in January 2013 for another weeks break with my family. Can't wait.

Staff, food, drink and accommodation are all 5* in my opinion.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Mark M,

Thank you for having chosen to visit Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa again for the third and for having taken the time to review our hotel again for the second time.

I’m very happy to learn that this time you were also very happy with our hotel and our service. I will certainly be looking forward to welcoming you and your family to our hotel again in a few months time as we do value our loyal guests.

Best Regards,
Warwick, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Every year my mum, sister and I have a girly holiday, time to relax and unwind from working extremely hard throughout the year. This year we chose to holiday in Santa Maria- Cape Verde, staying at The Melia Tortuga. On arrival at the hotel we qued for over 20 minutes to check in, during this time reception staff handed out some complimentry drinks- although only 1/4 of the guests recieved them and no one returned with any more. The reception staff spoke basic english and did not have any charisma or customer service. Neverthless, the presentation in the lobby was modern and appealing. The suites were also of a high standard decor, including a lounge/dining area, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchen. Despite this, there was limited storage space for 3 people- and one of the cupboards was full of cleaning utensils and therefore was un-usable.

On our first night, we phoned recpetion for a hair dryer and were informed that someone would bring one to us- cutting a long story short, after numerous further requests that night for a hair dryer we finally recieved one the next day, although we did recieve an apology from the duty manager with the reasoning that they had a low supply of hair dryers. I have never stayed in a five star hotel that do not provide a hair dryer as standard and felt this was un acceptable. The food in the hotel was of awful standard. My family and I are not fussy eaters, but some nights we returned from the buffet with nothing but a stale bread roll and vegetables. The morning buffet provided a continental breakfast, desite the extremely stale breads/croissants this was acceptable. The service in the restaurants overall was un personalised, specifcally staff in the buffet, who were consistently under pressure to clear tables and provided very little interaction, keeping their heads down focused on each of their tasks. There was not enough staff for the volume of guests and therefore plates sometimes did not get cleared, and most of the time cultery/ crockery was missing. The evening buffet food was repetitive, plain, overcooked, cold and i wouldn't even serve it to my dogs. The hotel had 3 further restaurants nevertheless when we arrived at the hotel we were told that the restaurants were fully booked for the next 4 days, despite seeing them half full every night. Aqua restaurant had a very limited and unadventurous menu which changed only once a week, the food was of very poor standard/quality. In Aqua the service was an improvement than in the buffet but this would be expected as the ratio of waiters to guests was better. I must say the water waiter was charming and always smiled when serving at your table, while most of the other staff didnt even notice you. I must also say how delightful the waiter name Daniel was, he always smiled and took time to interact with guests. Waterside bar/restaurant was very basic, serving mainly pizza, pizza and more pizza, swarming with flies. Snacks were stale bread and fruit. Restaurant/Bar O'Grille served poor quality food although it was made to order. Lunch time created chaos for the staff, who were running around like headless chickens serving tables, with little/no interaction because they were so understaffed and un prepared for the volume of guests. Drinks were appauling quality and poorly presented. Lots of flies- no system in place to help reduce this issue. Good entertainment in the day with the 2 energetic smiley girls providing aqua areobics etc. Very poor entertainment in the evening- poor standard. We all used the spa facilities which were very good including a gym with the latest equipment. The spa staff were very pleasant and welcoming and were extremely good at their jobs. Maid was pleasant but often arrived at 16.00 to clean the villa, unforutunately spoke very limited english so difficult to communicate to leave water or the correct amount of towels. Often shared towels because maid only left 2 despite 3-4 person villa. Pools were clean and although busy could always find a sunbed. All 3 of us had upset stomachs the duration of the holiday. Infact since my return I have had a positive stool sample for salmonella and have since had to take time off work as I work in medical profession. On departure, we asked reception if the bell boy could help us with our bags as the reception was a long walk away- we waited 20 minutes and no one came so called back to be told he would be there in 1/2 hr, which would of made us miss our transfer bus. On checking out, reception staff did not interact with us or ask us about our stay, they did not wish us well for our journey. Santa Maria itself was remote and highlighted the poverty existing in Cape Verde. However, if you are keen kite surfer, diver- it would have been exactly what you wanted. The prices in Santa Maria was extautionate and the locals were asking 70 euros for a wooden giraffe. We were however welcomed into a small kindergaten class where the children were delightful and very welcoming. Overal very very disappoitnted with our experience in Cape Verde and we will NOT return to this hotel or the island again. We feel extremely misled by Thompson who have rated this hotel as a 5*- we are a very well travelled family and feel that this is more like a 3* hotel at best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lauren f
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear lauren f,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your family holidays with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.
I’m sorry to hear that our services did not meet your expectations. When there are a lot of guests checking in your patience is required, but in general our check in is done quite quickly.
Regarding the food in general, our food is served fresh and cooked with a high standard of quality and safety, and all supervised by our hygienist. Our drinks are standard all inclusive drinks and supplied by renowned suppliers from Europe, it’s a pity that you did not enjoy it.
We recommend our guests to report any health problems to us immediately during their stay, so that they can be examined by the physician here and the source of any infection can be determined accurately.
Our concept of entertainment is soft entertainment designed to match with the relaxed atmosphere and suitable for all age groups. We sincerely thank you for your comments and feedback, we will take them into account for the continuous improvement of our services.

stratfod upon avon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

i have just returned with my two adult daughters. we all have experianced very upset tummies so much so one of my daughters could not return to work and is waiting the results of tests from the doctor.there did not seem to be enough staff and those who were there had no intrest in their guests.The bars and resturants were swaming with files which i understand you expect in a hot climate but there were no precautions taken! there is no way thomson should be marketing this hotel as 5 * and as a member of the Melia group rewards i am surprised they have not got the proplem sorted out after so long! The choice and quailty of food was awful and thealcohol cheap nasty. i asked for a Godons gin and was told it would be a extra four euros!my next job is to write a letter of complaint to thomsons . The rep and area manager there were not intrested in hearing about complaints just selling excursions which incerdently they would not refund when we were all confined to our rooms as we had not given them 24 hours notice they said i had to sort in out in England.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank karen f
Dear karen f,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to review our hotel.

I’m so sorry to hear that your holiday with us did go according to your expectation. As you yourself have mentioned the tropical climate here does favor insects, however, having this in mind we take all the necessary precautions to ensure that your health and safety always come first and that we offer the best quality product for our guests. We have a routine disinfestations program in place and as all of our guests may have noticed the hotel grounds are constantly being cleaned. We do sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback and we will look into each matter and take the necessary actions.

We hope that you will give us another chance by visiting us again in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Positives- Great flight times so no jet lag experienced.
Reasonably priced & great for winter sun.
Transfer time excellent at 20mins approx.
Rooms very modern and spacious, clean & tidy.

Negatives- Food. This was the biggest disappointment to us as it is so important when staying all inclusive in a 5 star hotel. There was lack of choice available. The buffet restaurant was like a canteen, very busy, very noisy. Had to ask for plates, cutlery and butter on one occasion. House wine was dreadful, barely drinkable however, the local beer was ok.
During breakfast at one end of the room there were flies around the tables which was off putting.
If you wanted an omelette made by the chef, sometimes you had to queue and experience some wait due to a lacking in staff. Also, some of the waiting staff didn't speak very good English.
There was the option to book a table at either the Italian restaurant or the beach grill if you desired but when we did this we had to wait a few nights as we were told they were fully booked.
When we did arrive to eat in either of these they didn't seem full to us. Also, you had to pick your menu choice when booking the table.

The AI drinks did not seem up to the usual 5 star standard. Often, we ordered mojitos and the bar staff had no fresh mint so used a lime cordial!

The hotel lacks atmosphere by night with a minimal entertainment programme and could do with improving, seeing as there is nothing else to do near-by.

On checking out of our room we asked for assistance from the staff to collect our luggage and take this to reception for us. Once our bags were loaded on to a golf buggy and we set off we only got half way to reception and the battery ran out. We then had to push the buggy the rest of the way. My partner has a back injury so this wasn't ideal!!

The majority of the staff we spoke to were friendly and polite.

Bottled Water was provided in our fridge when we arrived but was not re-stocked after the first day so we had to keep bringing back from the nearest bar. Also, there was minimal tea/coffee/sugar available in the room and this was not replenished.

We spent a few days on the beach which was nice. The sun beds are free and there was generally space whatever time of the day we arrived. It is often windy so be prepared and also, you cannot really swim in the sea as either a red flag warning is in place or it is too rough/rocky near the shore. The beach grill bar was busy at Lunchtime but this is because we feel it is the best option available and most popular.

All in all, having both travelled worldwide and stayed in various other 5 star hotels, we would not class this as 5 star standard.

We appreciate the hotel has only been open just over a year and they are working hard at things, but reading reviews on here and feedback from last year not much seems to have changed.
We chose this hotel and resort as we both wanted a chilled week in the sun and this is what we had. It's clean, tidy and well presented but definitely needs improving with food and entertainment as these are the main key points for many people when staying all inclusive.

It's not good when the best meal you have had all week is the Thomson in flight meal back to the UK!!! :-(

Hopefully, both some customer service training and some well travelled, honest guest reviews will improve the standard of the Hotel Melia Tortuga. Good luck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank milehinik
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear milehinik,

It’s a pity that you did not enjoy the restaurants or the food and drinks, we do our best to please all of our guests, offering them only the best quality product available. Please note that there is no food production on the island and that 90% of our products are imported from Europe according to the highest standards. The booking limit of the restaurants is based on how many people and not on how many tables to ensure that our guests enjoy their dining experience.

Our entertainment concept is soft entertainment that’s suitable for all ages and combines with our relaxed and peaceful atmosphere.

I’m sorry that the buggy had run out of power and thank you sincerely for having offered to help, generally when that happens our staff would carry your bags all the way to the reception and buggy would be left behind to be picked up later.

I’m sure that during your check-in you were provided with an information booklet regarding the all services including the mini bar, upon check-in you are offered four bottled water in your mini bar free of charge, the replenishment of the mini bar is a paid service, but because we are an all inclusive hotel you may request bottled water or any other drinks from any of the outlets without any charges.

As a hotel we are continuously working to progress with the quality of our service and the comments and feedback from our distinguished guests are highly valuable to us.

midlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

ON arrival the staff at reception could not cope with influx of guest and there english was not good enouhg to cope with issues arising,when we got to our rooms they where ecceptable,the Aqua Restaurant limited to 3 meal to chose from all inedable we left and never went back,Spices where do you start,staff not trained walking round aimlessly no cutlery,no plates, when these available no food,no variety what so ever,the staff where not trained to 5 star standards the management where also undertrained,when we asked for the airconditioning to be increased we where told the temperature was set for the staff to work in,not our comfort,we also asked then would they open the windows this was also refused,the other situation was the infestation of flies,they where everywhere,so annoying.The O Breach Grill,no better llimited menu,when they remember to book your table,they ran out of glasses, plates.dishes,cutlery,
but ther e is anabundence of flies everywhere,Waterside pool restaurant ceiling fan never on impossible to eat in far far to hot, guess what flies everywhere again, beach towels not available for 2 days not ecceptable at all for 5 star.Pool bar staff totally unware of customers waiting for drinks and continue there conversation and ignore you all the time very poor service for so called 5 star.
My biggest complaint is with Thomsons,for rating this hotel a 5 star and brokerage there brochure with this hotel,the staff are so undertrained it is impossible to rate this hotel anything but 3 star,they have no idea what 5 star quality is,you as company,should review your policy for rating this hotel,
As a family we ate out on a regular basis due to the poor variety and quality of food,
for an all inclusive 5 star dont be fooled by the brochure and the Thomsons sales staff selling this product,be aware of this review dont be taken in by the sales team.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank socketbox
Dear socketbox,

I’m sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. When there is a lot of guests, say 100, checking in all at once it is normal to expect to wait a while. We do our best to make our guests feel welcome, upon arrival our guests are offered a non-alcoholic cocktail welcome drink and if the waiting time is too big you are welcome to sit at the lobby or at the Sway Bar. It’s a pity that you did not like the 3 set menu of 4 course meals that we are offering at the Aqua restaurant. Taste is a matter of personal preferences, it is not easy to please everybody but we always take your comments and feedback into account, the same applies to the Spices restaurant where there is at least 10 different choices to make from.

Our staffs are doing the best they can to ensure that everybody is well served as soon as possible, again if there are any twitches we will investigate into it and make the necessary improvements.

Cape Verde is a tropical country where insects thrive, our guests can see that our hotel grounds are constantly being cleaned throughout the day and we have a periodic disinfestations program in place.

We have added more towels to ensure the complete satisfaction of our guests. I hope that you will change your mind and will return to visit us again soon in the future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed my 10 day stay at the Melia despite the general ill feeling of some of the other guests that were on our flight. A moaner actually started on the rep during the welcome meeting, and completely hyjacked it with moans that they had read on trip advisor and from others guests they'd spoken to in the bar that had been here awhile already. RUDE!
How on earth are you going to enjoy your holiday when you start off whinging, or anyone else around you when you spread such poison.

The flight was fine, my husband would have appreciated an extra inch in legroom as he is 6 foot tall and couldnt quite manage to stretch his legs out under the seat in front but he wasnt particulary uncomfortable. 6 hours without entertainment is a bit long though on a flight.

The hotel was very busy the first week of our stay as it was half term week and was obviously at capacity which meant that facilities and service were stretched, it got better as it got a little quieter.
However, even as its busiest we still enjoyed ourselves.
The rooms were very nice, with flat screen tellys with some channels in english including a film channel which showed some decent films (girl with a dragon tatoo).
The beach was lovely but the waves too big to be able to swim in the sea. I did enjoy playing in the surf though.

The food went from being ok to being quite nice. Nothing wow, but then I wasn't expecting to be wowed at an all includive hotel who cater for the masses, including several different nationalities. If you like fish your in luck as the fish was the best of all the foods they offered. Fresh tuna, Wahoo fish and Marlin were all excellent. I noticed that a previous reviewer states that fish and goat was all they offered in the main buffet which is total rubbish. I did enjoy veal in red wine, portuguese style pork chops, peri peri chicken, lamb chops, pear and proscuito salad and the pasta station where they cook up a pasta dinner to your requirements (you choose the pasta, sauce and ingredients) in the buffet restaurant. However there were some less appetising things on offer sometimes, such as meatballs in 'tomato' sauce. The sauce was bright lurid pink, so I would assume that it was either thousand island or marie rose sauce, looking at it actually made me feel sick!
The Ogrille on the seafront supplied consistantly good food. We ate there nearly every lunch and occasionally there was a cat or two about but certainly not 'full' of cats as one reviewer put it.

The fact that all the food has to be shipped in does have an impact on the variety of food on offer however, perhaps there should be a bit of warning in the blurb.

The service was a bit hit and miss on occasion everywhere in the resort, but the staff were very hard working and were never rude or unpleasant. Unlike some of the guests who were sometimes eye watering nasty. If you were polite to them they were polite in return and all smiles, if you were rude they were still polite but less smilley and avoided eye contact, understandably. I dont know why people were rude, I dont know if it was because they had paid for the holiday and had a sense of entitlement that gave them the right to speak to the staff how they saw fit. Perhaps because they were racist?

The drinks were again hit and miss. The house wine was not very nice but the cava was lovely. Cocktails that required fruit come from concentrate, so not the best. Except lemon based cockails (they had plenty of lemons and mint) so mojitos and margueritas were fab. The local lager was good and I liked it that all the bars had proper coffee machines.

The evening entertaiment was low key and it was just how I like it. They had bands in playing in the main plaza area which were very good as were the pianist and singer in the Sway bar. The late bar got busy occassionally and was good then if you fancied a late night boogie but was often empty.

There were a few things they should sort out though.
We booked into the Waterside restaurant twice to duly turn up to find we were on the wrong day. I dont speak Cape Verdean, but the person taking the bookings obviously struggles to get communicate the right day. The restaurant booking system should easier, colour code the days and give people receipts of bookings.

But my biggest gripe would be the pool. The grouting is discoloured and often black. It needs to be empied and given a good scrub!

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank katewingate
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear katewingate,
I’m pleased to learn that you’ve enjoyed your holiday, a positive attitude does help you to enjoy your holidays to the fullest. I’m glad that you were happy with your rooms, that you enjoyed the food, the restaurants, the entertainment and the friendliness of the staff.

The staff are undergoing an English training, to most of them it is their third or fourth language. We sincerely appreciate your comments and suggestions, we hope that you will return to visit us again in the future.