“A fabulous holiday which exceeded expectations.”

Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Santa Maria
Watton, Norfolk, England
“A fabulous holiday which exceeded expectations.”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We booked an all inclusive package with Thomson. The hotel is 15 minutes drive from the airport. It is a 5 minute drive from the town. We were given a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment, with lounge, kitchen and balcony. The apartment overlooked the main pool and had a sea view from the bedrooms. It was very clean, had iron, hairdryer, two tvs, a safe and a fridge. There is a main buffet restaurant, which we found to be good quality with a good variety of dishes. The Aqua restaurant is a la carte, you need to book in the main restaurant in the morning. The food was well presented and good quality. The O Grille is at the beach bar- this changed to a la carte half way through our stay, you need to book but it is really good, with a choice of 3 set menus. You need to decide which menu you would like at the time of booking. Good service and good quality food. There are 3 main bars, My Bar (beach), Waterside (pool) and the Sway Bar (main hotel). There is a wide variety of drinks available on all inclusive, including Cava and cocktails. Drinks are local brands but we found them to be fine. There is a late bar but only Cava and house wine is available on the all inclusive package. Drinks are available from 0900-0200. There is always food available, the O Grille makes lunch to order. The Waterside restaurant is a buffet but it is planned that it will become a la carte in the near future. The staff are friendly, some are more reserved than others but all are very polite. We particularly enjoyed the company of the bar staff at the beach bar- especially Jose. Entertainment is classier than at other resorts-live music, local bands etc. there is an animation team and a variety of activities but these are never forced upon you-this is a welcome departure from being pestered to do aqua aerobics etc. There are plenty of sun loungers around the pools and on the beach, although it was not very busy when we stayed. The weather was generally very good, 2 cloudy days out of 14 but still hot. The beach is white sand, the sea is turquoise. There are some rocky bits as you go into the sea from the Melia Tortuga but if you walk a little to the right or left it is perfect. The sea can be quite rough so swimming in it is not that advisable from the hotel. There are more sheltered areas a short walk away. We were expecting the minibar to be stocked as this had been advertised as part of the all inclusive package by Thomson. This was not the case but is down to the holiday company rather than the hotel. We had no complaints at all. The hotel deserved the 5 star rating. We enjoyed the minimalist furnishings and grown up feel of the property. The managers were visible and took time to ask our opinions. They said it is important to them that the guest experience is as good as it can be. We did not go on any trips but we did dive. We used Scuba Team, next to the jetty in the town, based on the beach. They were very good. The best dive was Choclasse- well worth a trip. We would definitely recommend this hotel and are looking to return next year.
Louisa Bayley

• Stayed May 2012
8 Thank Louisa H
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear weezworld,

We greatly appreciate your trust in choosing to spend your holidays with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to write and describe our hotel.

I’m happy to learn that you were pleased with our accommodation, our restaurants, our entertainment and our staff service. Some people would describe our accommodation as a home away from home, as per the entertainment ours is a soft entertainment concept designed to please all age groups and all tastes. Each bar and restaurant offer unique atmospheres that is at the same time quite relaxing. We strive to offer our guests the best service that they deserve presenting them with a sense of complete well being.

It’s great that you took the opportunity to have some underwater experience through diving. Sal is also a perfect place for water sports lovers.

My staff and I hope to have the pleasure of having you as our guests again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (642)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I have just returned from a fantastic week away on Tortuga and I will be returning later this year. Its a 5 hour flight to Sal and only a short drive to the hotel from the airport. My friends and I had a speedy check in (with cocktail in hand!) and were shown to our 2 bed 2 bath apartment not far from the main hotel. The staff were very friendly and made sure our glasses were topped up the entire week. As for the restaurants and the food, there was plenty to choose from and we ate in all 4 restaurants which were all fantastic. The room was spacious and exceptionally clean - the aircon was welcoming after lounging on that glorious beach all day! If you prefer a pool rather than the beach, there are 4 fantastic pools with plenty of loungers - great for the kids (Kids club also). All in all, this is a luxurious resort on a beautiful island and I will be back for another great holiday!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Haribo21L,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holiday with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to write a review on our hotel.

I’m very pleased to know that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us, and that you were happy with the room, the staff service and the restaurants, I’m happy to know that you had plenty of choice during meal times.

It will certainly be a pleasure for us to have you back again later this year as our guests.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I cant begin to tell you how lovely this hotel is.
My boyfriends and I visitied november 2011, the aparatments we stayed in were clean, stylish and just very enjoyable to stay in, I actually didnt want to leave!!!
The hotel grounds were really nice with 5 pools and a fantastic beach bar where we spend the most of our time, drinkig cocktails looking out at the beautiful white beach
Great food and drinks, lots of chioce

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chloebarton
Dear chloebarton,

I’m very pleased to know that you and your boyfriend have enjoyed your stay with us and that you are happy with our accommodation, and our food and drinks.

We hope that this pleasant memory will convince you to return and visit us again soon!

Durham
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the marvellous Melia Tortuga for 1 week from 2-9 May and wished we had booked for 2 weeks!!! We usually holiday in Egypt so we were a little apprehensive about visiting somewhere different but we were definitely very impressed with the hotel and the resort and will definitely return. The room we were allocated was number 427, it was very spacious with 1 double bedroom, 1 twin bedroom a shower room, a main bathroom equipped with bath, shower, toilet, hand wash basin and even a bidet!! There was a kitchen and very modern lounge and dining room with brown leather settee, large flat screen tv and dark wood coffee table and a larger dining table with 4 cream leather dining chairs (not that we ever used the dining table!!!) The room was clean, modern and very comfortable and it was like home from home and we were well pleased with it. The food was delicious, far better than we've ever had in Egypt!! There were 4 restaurants, Spices, Aqua, Waterside and O'Grille and we tried them all except Waterside. Spices was the main buffet restaurant, this was where we had our breakfast every morning, the choice was exceptional, there was fruit juice, cereal, yoghurt, croissants, toast aswel as full cooked english including omelettes and pancakes. The only critism i would have would be they could do with another toaster as the queue to use it did build up. The Aqua needed to be booked, so as it was my husbands birthday whilst we were there we booked it for his birthday night. It was a very popular restaurant as it was much smaller and more intimate, so booking early is essential if you wanted to try it. It was a set menu with four courses and the quantity and quality of the food was excellent and well worth the visit. For lunch we used the O'Grille, the choice on the menu was good and the food was freshly cooked on the grill which you could see from your table. Daniel was our waiter and he always greeted us with a lovely friendly smile. We did not use the waterside restaurant so i cannot comment on that one, but I expect the quality and choice will have been the same. The beach was magnificient, golden sands and azure blue sea,it was very windy, but that didnt bother us at all. There were ample sun loungers and parasols and only a handful of people used the beach the majority stayed round one of the two pools as it wasnt as windy there. The sea was very rough and difficult to access, but like others have said if you walk for about 10 minutes to the left you will come across some sand dunes and access to the sea is better here. My husband enjoys scuba diving and had booked a course of six dives with the watersports centre on the beach over the internet in the UK before we arrived. He was very impressed with the efficient service of the staff and really enjoyed the dives he did, especially the cave dives as he hadnt done any before and it was a new experience for him. The Melia Tortuga is definitely a fabulous place for a chill out holiday with 'no stress', and I would have no hesitation in recommending it to others, well done to the manager and his team of dedicated friendly staff, we will be back to this fabulous place very soon, thank you.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Durhamcasper
Dear Durhamcasper,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays with us at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa and for having taken the time to write a review on our hotel.

It gives me a pleasure to learn that you and your husband have enjoyed your stay with us, it’s great to know that you consider our food to be far better than in Egypt. Thank you for your suggestion on the toaster we will take it into account for future improvements on our services. I’m pleased that you’ve enjoyed three of our four restaurants. I hope that during your next visit to our hotel you will also try a dining experience at our Waterside restaurant.

I’m pleased to know that your husband enjoyed his diving experience in Sal, the windy season this year has extended itself until May, it is great for water sport lovers to do kite surfing and windsurfing.

My staff and I will definitely look forward to having you and your husband again as guests in our hotel very soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed on the Tortuga beach resort for 5 days as a quick getaway as only 5 hours from the UK. Once we got off the flight, we were taken aback at how beautiful and un-spolit the island is. After a quick drive to the resort, we were instantly checked in by friendly staff who offered us cocktails on arrival which was a great tour after hitting that heat! After a swift check in, we were shown to our apartment. We had a 2 bed. 2 bath apartment with our own balcony away from the main hotel. The apartment is elegantly dressed and very spacious for 2 people. The balcony was lovely to sit on a night as you could here the piano player in the lobby play quietly.

We generally ate at the Spices restaurant which we tried at different times of the day, all the food was excellent and the staff could not do more for you in the way of making sure your drink was topped up and assisting in anything you needed. The food was themed on an evening and we found loads of variety to choose, never the same meal twice.

My favourite was the beach bar. The food was fantastic and I would recommend the local shandy, Panachea.As soon as our glass was half empty, we would instantly have another appear. Excellent service especially from Daniel and Antonio.

We ate at the Aqua restaurant, the a la carte pre booked one, which was superb. Four course meal and all was cooked to perfection. Plenty of atmosphere to make you feel relaxed.

We also had drinks in the champagne which was great. It wasn't all champagne as your cava and rose cava and wine were included in your all inclusive. Fantastic enviroment and the DJ on a night was great!

Santa Maria, the local town, was fantastic. Very bustling and if you get the chance, please go down to the pier in the morning to see the men bring in the fish and it is a sight to see! Also the beaches in Santa Maria are gorgeous white sands and the clearest water I have ever seen. We went into Port Antiguo also which was a great bar on the edge of the water and loads of little shops to go into.

All in all, this resort and island are a piece of heaven. Peaceful, lots to see and do, excellent attentive staff, gorgeous food. 5 star luxury at its best! We can't wait to return and are already looking!

Room Tip: Ask for a 2 bed apartment with a balcony for the best views
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Rachael W
Dear Reddy0802,

We greatly appreciate you for having taken the time to write a review on our hotel and your trust in choosing to spend your holidays with us.

Reading your description of our hotel and our services gives me a great pleasure to learn that you’ve enjoyed your stay with us, it’s wonderful that you were able to relax during your vacation.
I’m also pleased that you’ve enjoyed your visit to the town of Santa Maria and made the most of it.
We will surely be looking forward for your return to our hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Yesterday we returned from a fantastic week at the Melia Tortuga. We would have loved to have stayed longer but needed to return home mainly to put ourselves unexpectedly on a diet after and week of excessive eating (we couldn't stop ordering the delicious food) and drinking endless mohito's!!

The room was lovely and was immaculate and stylish, In fact the whole resort was the same, staff were constantly cleaning, gardening and making sure everything you could need was catered for. It appeared at times there were more staff than guests and they were all exceptionally friendly and efficient.

We spent lots of time by the quieter pool and always had a choice of loungers (I guess this is because it is early in the season, but the weather was perfect). The beach is beautiful (although a little breezy and one of my only reccomendations would be for the hotel to invest in some wind breaks). We spent every evening sitting in the O'grille beachside bar drinking cocktails and watching the sun go down. We also ate at all of the restaurants and the lunches at O'grille and dinner at Aqua were our favorites.

Although you aren't able to swim in the sea next to the resort we walked the distance between the hotel and Santa Maria 3 times (apparently about 8km) and would reccomend this as you barely see a soul and can stop and swim in the beutiful clear sea or even propose as my lovely other half decided to do...this place is definately worth a visit and we will be returning!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RRLondon4
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear RRLondon4,

Thank you for having chosen to spend your holidays with us and for having taken the time to write a review on our hotel. Before I continue, please allow me to congratulate you both on your engagement and wish you a lot of happiness for the future.

I’m very pleased to know that you’ve had a great stay and that you were happy with both our accommodation as well as our services. I’m glad that you’ve enjoyed dining at the Aqua and lunch at the Ôgrille and also the other two restaurants, Spices and Waterside.
Thank you for your recommendation, we will take it into account for future improvements.

We will definitely be looking forward for your return and we hope that it will be soon!

Best Wishes,

Leicestershire
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed at the Melia Tortuga from 17 April to 1 May 2012. The suite and housekeeping were excellent as was the quality of bed and bathroom linens. We ate in all four restaurants and found the food to be very good and the presentation first rate. We had lunch mainly at the O'Grille and dinner usually in Spices. The musical evenings, with Cape Verdeans performing we personally found great. All staff were friendly, polite and helpful. We met some lovely people whilst staying there, both guests and staff and hope to return next year.

Whilst we were there we had some very windy days - particularly on the beach, and some overcast ones, but we did expect this as we do like to read up on a Country before we visit. Still came home with dark tans - (watch that sun it is deceptive!) As mentioned by previous reviewers, you cannot enter the sea in front of the O'Grille Restaurant, but a ten minute walk to the left gives you access to the lovely ocean, well worth the effort.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank obionedog
TortugaManager, General Manager at Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear obionedog,

I’m very happy to learn that you were pleased with your room, it’s wonderful to know that you’ve enjoyed the four restaurants and the food, its also great that you enjoyed the entertainment and that you had the chance to meet new people.

I hope that with the nice memories of your stay with us we can look forward to having you again as our guests soon.