“Quiet Hotel - Perfect for a Relaxing Break” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta

Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta
Ranked #7 of 13 Santa Maria B&B and Inns
North East England
“Quiet Hotel - Perfect for a Relaxing Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I spent Christmas/New Year at the Sabura hotel and overall, it's been a relaxing, peaceful holiday.

As with all hotels, there are good and bad points and I'm going to start with the bad:-

The location of the hotel is not central. It's about a ten - fifteen minute walk into the centre of Santa Maria. It's not too far really but if you're feeling lazy it can be enough to deter you from going out and depending on your holiday preferences, that can be a negative aspect to staying at this hotel.

It's also quite a trek to the beach so again, if you're feeling lazy then you're pretty much confined to the hotel and there's really not a lot going on there.

Most of the guests were there on an all inclusive deal and despite Thompsons pledge that there are "no hidden extras", this hotel doesn't include water or diet drinks in the all inclusive package. You can guzzle full sugar versions of coke, sprite etc to your hearts content but if you want to drink diet coke then be prepared to pay for it. I'm not really sure how water can be classed as a chargeable extra on an 'all inclusive' deal but there you go. Unless you want to risk losing your teeth through drinking too much sugar, I'd have your wallet handy because water and diet drinks are expensive there.

Internet - this is a constant sore point for me. I hear all the people who say that holidays are for escaping the internet blah, blah, but if you're under 90 and you have a job then the chances are you'll want to at least check your emails at least once during your stay and if you work for yourself (as I do) then an internet connection is almost as important a utility as running water these days. Because of this, I ALWAYS ask if there's an internet connection before I book anywhere. The internet connection is more important to me than the pool to be honest, so I checked with Thompson before booking and they confirmed that the internet was available and it was included. Of course, upon arrival I find that the internet is a chargeable extra, it costs a FORTUNE and it's a dreadful service anyway. I ended up wandering into Santa Maria and buying sim cards and dongles. Much easier and cheaper.

The food was not to my taste. That's not to say it was bad food. It's more my personal preference. There is fresh fish in abundance and it looked and smelled delicious but they insisted on covering everything with sauce and I hate sauces. It's pointless asking for dry food because you'd just get sauce anyway. I gave up after a while.

On a more positive note, if you're not too bothered by the points above then this hotel has an abundance of good points to counter balance them:-

The rooms are comfortable, nicely furnished and very, very clean. The bathrooms are reasonably spacious and the shower is powerful enough to blast sand and salt out of long hair and there's constant hot water (you'd be surprised how many hotels I've stayed in where there isn't)

I'd have preferred a buffet style food situation but the menu system they employ seems to work well for everyone else. The menu changes every day and there are always three choices each of starter, main and pud. There's also a snack menu which runs from the morning right through to around 10pm so you can always ask for things from there if the menu doesn't appeal.

The staff don't speak very much English but they are helpful, friendly and very polite. They made a real effort to make sure everyone had a good holiday and I think they were genuinely happy to be at work.

General points to consider:-

The hotel is built around a central courtyard which houses the pool. It was designed to capture the wind which I'm sure is a brilliant idea in the hotter months but I was there over the winter season and that courtyard was FREEZING at times. Take a cardigan, just in case!

All of the rooms have balconies which overlook the pool so at first glance you might think the choice of room doesn't matter but it really does. As you face the pool from reception, the rooms to your left all have sunny balconies for most of the day (101-112 and 201-212). The rooms to your right have very dark balconies, irrespective of the time of day. If you're looking for a sunny balcony then your very best bet is a room from the row that lines the bottom of the pool (121-124 and 221-224) as they get sunshine all day.

Sal has a closed currency system so you can't change money until you get there and you're always left with that worry about how much to change and what you'll do with any that's left over. My advise to you is not to bother at all. Just take euros instead. They're generally accepted along with Escudars and it's not so much of a problem if you bring those back home.

Go on an island tour when you first get there. Sal is tiny - the whole island is only around 15 miles long - but it's only 15-18 euros for a tour and it's an interesting way to get your bearings. The salt mine is good fun. Take your bikini and bob around in salty water for an hour. It's really nice!

Room Tip: See my main review for room tips
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank iamjules

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
ripley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

one of the nicest places i have ever been totally relaxing and no fuss staff are friendly and very helpful looked after us very well the rooms and hotel are very well maintained and clean food and service was good,never ate the same thing twice perfect place to totally unwind and read and just soak up the atmosphere

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mick p
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

My friend and I have just returned from a great week in Sal, having stayed at the Sabura. Great hotel with friendly and helpful staff. We both found the food good in general, although it is difficult to please everyone, the hotel is quite small, with forty or so rooms, so menu choices need to be limited by this.

We were all inclusive and this was my first experience of this. I found it great (so much so that I found it a bit tricky getting my purse out on my return!!!) The pool and garden area were lovely and peaceful, with tray service for drinks if you asked. Room was comfortable and very quiet.

The nearest beach to the hotel had very exciting kite surfing and also a little turtle preservation project running, though we did not get to see the baby turtles, sadly. The beach front and ocean in Santa Maria are beautiful, with deep white sands and the bluest of oceans. Hotel Sabura, we miss you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Anne R
Dolwyddelan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you want a quiet ,relaxing holiday in Sal this is definaitley a hotel to stay at. Quiet location, very friendly and efficient staff, nothing was too much trouble. Food we found was very good, choice of 3 starters, 3 mains, and 3 sweets, no repeation the 2 weeks we stayed. No early getting up to reserve a sun beds and all staff were very sociable and helpful. Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: All rooms quiet I would think. Only 2 story and just as the photo on booking information.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lotty60
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

It was generally a quiet hotel, apart from the noisy water tank near our room,with very clean standards maintained throughout our stay which is important, especially as you are staying in Africa.
Staff were reasonably helpful but it has to be said the food was not of a good quality. Nothing against this hotel personally as we tried a number of restaurants in Santra Maria, the 'capital ' of Sal, with the food being below an average standard. I don't know if it was the local cuisine or if we were being fussy (unlikely) but if good food is important in your holiday experience I wouldn't recommend this part of Cape Verde, although I can't speak on behalf of the other Cape Verdian islands.
p.s. weather was regularly in the 30s and the beaches were lovely during late October early November. Beaches are about a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel which was alright.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the water tank.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen H
beverley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

we chose this hotel because we thought that it would be peaceful, we were right, 2 weeks in the sun just me and my wife, what a lovely little hotel we arrived at around 6 to a nice local cocktail whilst checking in, straight to the room dropped our cases off and straight down for something to eat, nice 1st impression wine served in a carafe red or white both very good, menu was good too choice of 3 starters 3 main and 3 deserts. we were in room 118 and there were a few ant and we saw a very small cockroach, however i decided in the morning i would asked to be moved, i went to reception and asked to speak to the manager, the manager came out and i explained the situation, she said that they had had a bit of rain the week previous and this encourages them to come out however she would move us to a junior suite free of charge, let me tell you nothing was too much trouble for this lady. that same day the fumigators came in to blast the room very efficient. this hotel is spotless the cleaners never stop, the bar and waiter staff are also very cheerful, some people say they had trouble understanding them well they spoke better English than i did cape verdien. yes the food can be a bit repetitive but it was always well presented, we went out a couple of times to eat for a change, while a few people were saying it was too quiet this suited us down to the ground we met some wonderful people and had some quite entertaining nights !!!!! the pool area is spotless, nice Jacuzzi we could always get a sun bed too no matter what time of the day, if its the hussle and bustle discos etc then this is not the hotel for you, we had a lovely time and our batteries are definitely recharged

Room Tip: ask for a junior suite you never know sometimes cheek pays off
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank burr62
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was staying at the hotel at the same time as Joanne. I can agree that there were very few people staying there and so was rather "dead" I blame Thomson for creating a wrong impression as when I booked I was told there were only two rooms left, in fact there were very few taken. It is a small hotel and that was why I chose it. Yes there were flies and yes ther were cockroach type beetles but I and the other guests only experienced the beetles on the ground floor outside and most certainly not in the bedrooms. Please remember we were staying in Africa and in fact for an African country there were very few insects.
The staff were absolutely delightful very friendly & helpful whilst English was limited they all without exception tried to speak english and communicate. The food was very good, there was buffet breakfast then no other buffet meals as there were so few guests it would have been a waste of food a precious resource. At lunch & dinner it was a la carte a choice of 3 starters 3 main and 3 desserts the choices were different for each meal each day. The chef was happy to mix and match with the snack menu, or for example if one wanted 2 starters he produced one as a main course. Yes there was a lot of fish for heavens sake it is one of the main industries on the island. I have travelled a lot in Africa and this was the first holiday stomach bug free !!

The cleanliness was the best I have experienced in Africa and I wished I could have bought the bed home with me.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to see Cape Verde before tourism really hits and enjoy the whole experience of spending time with Cape Verdian people who are relaxed and seem to embrace life.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo