Hotel Sabura Ponta Preta
$160
$133
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Hotel Dunas de Sal(Santa Maria)
$101
$96
  • Breakfast included
Melia Tortuga Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$162
Hotels.com
$85
$74
  • Breakfast included
Melia Dunas Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$191
$167
$169
  • Pool
Melia Llana Beach Resort & Spa(Santa Maria)
$193
$173
Melia.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I felt compelled to write this review after reading horrible reviews!!!
This is a small and quiet hotel. Perfect for solo travellers who like to meet people. Contrary to big hotel opposite, they was no buffet food, really nice omelettes, pancakes and lovely fresh pineapple for breakfast, varied food at lunch time and dinner really good value for money.

Location wise for the adventurous ones, the dunes are absolutely fantastic, plus only 20 mins walk to Santa Maria. Walk by the promenade, it is a nicer view and you'll avoid the road work. Only 4 euros for a cab in the evening, 3 euros in the day time. There are lots of friendly bars in Santa Maria. I only ate out once on a trip as the food was quite good at the hotel. I even had Cachupa (local dish: a slow boiled stew of hominy corn, beans, vegetables, spices and marinated pork)

The rooms are very clean, the beds are extremely comfortable and despite working very long hours the staff do a very good job. I never had cold showers and haven't heard anyone complain about it!

I found that disgruntled clients were often people who expected their holidays to be at the same standard as Europe, just remember that Cape Verde is a developing country and in Sal most of the products are imported. I personally had a fantastic holiday and warmly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank leasandra
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Having arrive at this Hotel, We found the Hotel clean and well maintained. Having been sold the Islands as a fusion of Portuguese, African and South American mix, how disapointed where we. The food was bland, no local food available in the Hotel and usually by the time we ate it was not warm either. The food was colourless and tasted bland, and considering that the local fishermen where cutting up Tuna steaks on the pier, it was a shame that the best the hotel could offer was Cod and Hake (I suspect captain Birdseye was involved) The service was slow and the Hotel lived up to the island moto of "No stress" well no stress for them, I was waiting upto an hour between courses. However, the drinks flowed well accept when they ran out of beer and whisky, which happened four times in a fortnight. I am sorry I couldn't give positive praise as with the cold wind that blows all the time and the "no stress" attitude which I can only translate as "can't be bothered". I new this was not right when it took an hour to get through imigration. I doubt I will ever go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard w
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Felt compelled to write as it is rare that I am disappointed with hotels. If you can stand the near 6 hour flight in the most uncomfortable seating ever devised by the Devil himself (i.e. Thomson) then you are a braver man than me.
Plus points:-
quiet location means that if you are after rest and relaxation holiday, like me, then this is ideal (though maids can be a bit noisy shouting in the corridors in afternoon if you want a siestre in your room)
rooms and the hotel in general are very clean and maids do a very good job.
Minus points:-
reception and bar staff are generally sullen and unsmiling - they don't greet you unless you talk to them - their level of English is terrible and they lack even a minimum of training (management's fault)
having to sign for every drink and food item although on an all inclusive basis - this is tedious and totally unnecessary - due to hotel owners' accounting procedure ?
no variety in the food which, apart from one or two dishes was at best bland. How many takes can you have of dishes based on the left over ham and cheese from breakfast ?!
cold showers - pick your time very carefully (9.00 in the morning was ok once) as otherwise you are faced with cold water which at 7.00am jump starts your day for you !
Hotel in general, although clean, has plenty of paint peeling off the walls - needs a bit of TLC. Beware of mosquitos in spite of what you have read or were told - many guests, including myself, were badly bitten. Hotel is not at all prepared for this.
Some may say "what do you expect for a 3* hotel ?", but I would rate this as 2* so maybe I shouldn't be so disgruntled.
Holiday was saved as I met some very kind and friendly fellow Brits who were quite prepared to chat to a grumpy old man like me.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 12, 2012

A small but friendly hotel, good value for money and food was not buffet and 3 choices at each meal. Also very clean

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PoitouCharentesphoto
Reviewed February 20, 2012

After a busy family christmas my husband and i just wantted a week away in the sun. So decided to head back to Cape Verde. I was a little worried after reading the latest review but this did not put us off. If you want a relaxing quiet holiday with friendly staff and food served to the table then this is where to go. The rooms are modern and i think recently redone and we had to set the alarm to wake up as the bed was so comfortable. (or was it the local liquior we had most nights!) Most of the all inclusive residents were british, but there were other europeans staying on a B&B bases and i must admit breakfast could be a bit of a bun fight. As everything is imported you must expect things to run out and this is part of the joy of traveling further a field.

Having been to Boa Vista a few years back we were expecting the wind, but unfortunately this time is was cool for a few days. However, it did us no harm to go on walks to the local town and across the dunes to the beachs. sometimes followed by the local wild horse and dogs.

Room Tip: depends if you want the sun in the morning or afternoon
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple