“Relaxing holiday and very good food”

Royal Horizons Boa Vista
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Boa Vista
“Relaxing holiday and very good food”
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed one week in Royal Decameron Boa Vista at early december 2013. Very relaxing. Our room was near the smaller "quiet pool". No music. Just naps, reading and sun. Also batch was very nice and spacious. Food was good, lots of variations so even me how is pedantic with meat and fresh food, ate more than supposed to.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank enjala

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Czech first
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed for a week at the end of November/start December
Longish flight,(6 hours) but not classed as longhaul, so no entertainment
Airport/Transfer smooth and quick
On arrival, once given the right room, a little bit of searching, as it is set out like a small village with very little signage.
Room basic but clean (303 I think, and was convenient for the main part of the hotel/pool) Very comfortable bed.
The problem with the complaints about the water is that they give you your 1st bottle for free, then if you want more, its 2 euros. The complaints would stop if you didn't have any, as you can wash in the tap water, and was advised it is drinkable too.
Main pool is very nice, get up early to reserve your bed, advisable to do by 8:30. The trick is to get 2 sets of towels, and reserve chairs for the beach too!
There's always something going on in the day, either at the pool or on the beach
Sea, although from the hotel looks inviting, once to get to it, the waves can easily be 5 metres plus, also with strong currents, although theres a lifeguard on duty.
Beach itself is very nice.
The food was not bad, ate mostly in the buffet, but surprisingly the wine was pretty bad, especially as the majority of customers are French!
Nightime entertainment was a dancing show, while good quality, a little repetitive.
An hour or so walk along the beach will get you to the main town of Sal Rei, not much there apart from souvenir shops all selling the same things. People are friendly though.
The staff at the Hotel were all good, and helpful when needed. I didn't notice a language barrier, a little school French will help.
The rep, Bianca, was very good.
All in all, a nice relaxing holiday at a place I would strongly consider going back to.

2 Thank gaz62
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Royal Decameron in early December. As ever when reading other people's reviews I veered between worry and satisfaction. However I didn't pay 5* prices so wasn't expecting that sort of service. The aim of our holiday was to relax in the sun for a week and do as little as we wanted to. This did the job.
Some people have commented on the flight. If you think of Thomsons as a budget airline you won't be disappointed. You might get a meal but expect to pay for tea coffee soft drinks etc.
Our rep was Bianca and she was nice, gave us a few pointers about what to do, what was available etc. We weren't planning on doing anything so didn't need to see her.
Check in was straight forward enough, we had to find our own way to our room. The room was originally set up as an apartment with a little kitchen area and separate living room.
They were clean,spacious and sheets & towels were changed daily. We were there to relax so we weren't bothered by ungrouted bathroom tiles or a dodgy seal around the sink, or even an air con that rattled for the first 10 minutes of being on. Seriously, how much time have you or your hands if that's what you're worried about?
There have been lots of comments about the food. I'm no food snob but I won't eat rubbish and I have been to other all-inclusive resorts and all you can eat buffets: I found the quality & choice here to be excellent. We did see birds flying around and attempts to shoo them away. Unless you seal off the restaurant I don't think you'll stop them flying in. We never tried the 'specialist' restaurants as we didn't feel the need to. I didn't think the food was cold but did notice a microwave in the dining room to heat things up
The pools were lovely and we couldn't hear a thing at the quiet pool. The main pool has loud music and the entertainment staff going around trying to get you to do stuff like aqua aerobics etc. We were never hassled and I had to feel sorry for these guys employed to keep us active & entertained when all we wanted to do was rest.
There is a problem with placing towels on sunbeds to 'own' them. This starts from 7am. I wouldn't mind if it was for the period you have breakfast but some people don't come back for hours and it is a problem. The staff make out they're doing something about it by noting down the offending sunbed number but that's it. There were plenty of sunbeds on the beach. Although the waves are big it didn't stop us swimming. Sal Rei has beaches with less powerful waves if you fancy the walk, about 1.5 hours or less.
We did notice cracked tiles around the pool but they were more an inconvience than a danger.
We didn't worry about local brands of alcohol as we knew this would be the case. The €2 charge for water is frankly ridiculous and not easily justified. Just let us fill up from the taps! Internet at €7 an hour is extortionate but you can log off to save your money. It's only in the public areas though.
In summary we had a lovely time resting and recharging our batteries with good food, easily available drink and attentive staff. Don't forget you get what you pay for. We walked along the beach and past the other resorts. Both looked crowded and one looked positively miserable. That wasn't our experience at the Royal Decameron.

• Stayed December 2013
11 Thank David M
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Just returned from Boa Vista, had a lovely relaxing time at the Royal Decameron but I have to say the hotel is looking a little tired and could do with a spruce up. Food was good and our room was okay but some guests did have problems with water supply and cockroaches. I have to say we had the best Rep we've ever had and we've been going abroad for 27 yrs now.
Bianca was excellent and a lovely girl to boot.She couldn't do enough for you. Nice to see all the Christmas Decs. going up before we came home lovely touch.

4 Thank thetudlers
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Amazing hotel , very clean , staff can not do enough for you in the restaurants and bars , guys very flirty with the ladies !! Great banter but not creepy and being told how beautiful you look every evening certainly cheered me up !!!! , food plentiful and fresh , drinks ( cocktails ) lethal !! We had a desperate glass of coke or lemonade to mix as strong !!, always different food every night , entertainment team fantastic so so accommodating and friendly !, I went to the spa and had my toes painted ( lady was so sweet and did an amazing job ) , we waited till end of our holiday to tip our favourites 5 euros each , not much else to spend money on apart from water and little trinkets , spent on duty free before we left , make sure you get your sun loungers ( towels on them around 7am) and your back around 9am or they move your stuff off , only down fall we had was that our room had a break on the seal of the door / was by the beach and we had a lot of cockroaches the size of a large ( date ) , we didn't report it we just killed them or ushered them out , and put a towel at the door , but when we got on our plane home to Manchester. We were told we could have had our room fumigated , but we just let it be , lovely little birds come by you at the bars and by the pool , we fed them we know you prob shouldn't but they were so sweet and tame !!, a fabulous holiday with great great staff , defo going to go back again .

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lynzodolly
edinburgh
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Just back from the Royal Decameron in Boa Vista, six friends (all woman) and we all had a great time. The hotel is spotless, the food is very good and even the pickiest among us found plenty to eat. The staff are all very helpful, even when they could hardly speak English we found a way to communicate. The pool is fabulous and the beach gorgeous.All in all can thoroughly recommend.

Room Tip: We had a bungalow not far from the beach... so relaxing.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank scotlsholidaying
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2013

We arrived at the Royal Decameron on the 15th November and stayed for 11 nights(returned 26th Nov) booked through Thompson/First choice.We booked the Royal Decameron as opposed to the Riu hotels on Boa vista as we'd stayed with Riu in 4 of their hotels and thought it was time for a change, bit of a mistake IMHO.
Arrival
Airport is great, open air with very friendly staff and swift check through immigration.Met by Bianca (the Thompson rep) and transferred to the Hotel, which is approximately a 5 minute drive away, on a minibus with the luggage in a trailer behind.

Hotel
Filled in immigration forms and given a wrist band, welcome drinks seemed to be a bit of a second thought. Allocated a room (ours was 828) and given a large envelope which contained air conditioner controller,T.V. remote, room key and basic instructions on meal times, restaurants etc.Not given any guidance (except being told to turn left out of reception) on exactly HOW to find our room. No sighnposts anywhere so kind of left to work out where to go by ourselves. Rooms are all built in a village style arrangement with most sea facing, we did hear of some people who'd booked a sae view room and had been given a room facing the road/scrubland behind the hotel.Room was very basic but with an odd kitchen/sitting room style arrangement attached with a door to the room next door which is locked. All in all just a bit odd.We also noticed that there were NO instructions on what to do in an emergency and our room wasn't fitted with a smoke detector (smoking is NOT permitted in rooms but the people next to us smoked in theirs as we could smell it) You can also hear people in other rooms flushing toilets and washing.Showers leak all over the bathroom floor (it has drainage in the middle of the floor) and bathroom windows face to communal paths enabling other people to see you in the shower when you have the light on in the bathroom, you have been warned !!!!
I had decided that the food was basic but O.K. really until last weekend (21st Nov) when at least 6 people that we heard of, not including ourselves, got ill. Vomiting and diarrhoea for at least 24 hrs. My husband was too ill to get out of bed. Whilst i totally realise that this IS an island and food has to be brought in from other places and also that necessity is the mother of invention so food appears in other guises (chicken for lunch, chicken curry or chicken lasagne for dinner) which is TOTALLY O.K.but why oh why is the food not kept hot ? There's also big problem with birds in the restaurant perching on and eating food put out for guests (maybe they're guests also??!!) but when you sit down for lunch and there's a sparrow in a corner in front of you gasping it's last (we dined outside that day and the bird seemed to have a broken neck but it was still breathing) then that to me is a problem. In defence of the hotel, the restaurants are kept spotlessly clean with staff walking around whilst people are eating sweeping up around them (a bit strange really)
Drinks
Most bottles labelled as premium spirits but I personally don't believe it.I like a Vodka and Tonic before lunch when I'm on hol and the vodka was always somewhat weak. It did however get stronger before dinner time, so after 6 p.m. I personally think that weaker drinks are served during the day for a reason as a LOT of people started drinking at 10 a.m. when the bar opened!! My hubby doesn't drink any alcohol and I found the lack of fresh juices absolutely laughable. WHY do we have to BUY fresh juice from the shop ?? This really isn't the middle of no where so WHY don't they serve fresh juice instead of some flourescent watered down horrible stuff or something that bears NO resemblence to juice and is labelled as mixed fruit !! Why also do we have to BUY water at 2 euros for a litre and a half ?? This is ALL INCLUSIVE surely the clue is in the name (we were aware that we would have to buy water but it still sticks in my throat that this is common practice in this hotel).Be warned that there is now a notice by the water machines in the restaurants asking that you absloutely do not fill bottles from them and we saw no evidence of people doing this.
SPA
Stupid prices ( approx 50 euros for an hours massage), receptioist looked exceptionally bored and totally disinterested.Didn't book anything for that reason alone.

Pools
There are 2 pools both saltwater. the large pool where all the animation stuff takes place and the smaller quiet pool where you can still hear all the animation stuff and music from the big pool.Towel games are played and to get a bed by the quiet pool be there by 7.15 a.m at the latest. the bigger poll takes a bit longer to have beds booked but I saw a chap out at 6:15 one morning when I went for a walk. In case you're wondering, yes i did play towel games as well, if you can't beat them join them is my motto.
Towel are obtained from a small both next to the gym by the big pool which supposedly opens at 7 a.m. I had 3 days when the towel guy turned up at 7.20 or not at all, NOT good Royal Decameron.
In summary. this trip was booked to enable myself and my husband to get a bit of R n R before i go into hospital on the 9th December to have some fairly extensive surgery on my back. I came back more stressed than I was when we left and with a poorly husband to boot!! I wouldn't ever book to go here again and disliked most of the time I spent at the Royal Decameron intensely.

Room Tip: IMHO don't book at all.
6 Thank seagull6