“christmas & new year”

IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Boa Vista
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I travelled with friendship travel for two weeks over the christmas and new year, I'd read all the reviews and had a good idea what to expect.If you want somewhere to chill out for a couple of weeks with very friendly staff and a great location I would certainly recommend it.The beach is fabulous and although the sea can be very rough they use a flag system to let you now when its safe.The food was excellent with plenty of choice I only used the a' la carte restaraunt once and although the service was good I found the food in the buffet was better.They really pushed the boat out on Christmas day and new years eve and created a brilliant atmosphere for the kids and adults alike.The animation team were great and not to pushy its a shame they don't have more equipment for some of the activities such as the shooting and archery as these tended to drag on for to long.The entertainment was a bit hit and miss some of the shows were really good and some poor to the point of being embarrassing. I would have liked more in the way of live music as an alternative around the pool bar or in the conference centre were we spent seeing the new year in.The fact that I was there with friendship travel was definetly a bonus our rep steve was a great host and it was a laugh a minute.This place has the potential to be the perfect destination just a few little improvements such as heating the pool and improving the entertainment and I would love to go back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank john d
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Dear John,

We would like to thank you very much for your encouraging comments on our hotel and staff. It is always great to receive positive feedback on numerous aspects of the hotel services and installations.

Regarding all the tips you kindly offered to make improvements, we will study the possibility to put them in practice and our heads of the departments involved are informed. We will work intern to see how to organize some of these proposals.

Further we took good note of your observations about fluctuating quality of our entertainment. We will do our utmost to surprise you positively in case you decide to visit us again. However, we are delighted to read that our animation team is great and not too pushy.

To succeed, it fills us with proud to read that you find the meals excellent and the staff nice. These features are our prime pillars because we are convinced that only through their excellence we will be able to reach complete client satisfaction. We will pass your compliments to the concerning colleagues, as this kind of praising mentions, help us to continue working motivated in the future. It is also a pleasure to read that the location was satisfactory to you.

Last but not least, we want to thank you once more for sharing your opinion and letting us know that you enjoyed your two week holiday with us and we would be absolutely delighted to accommodate you again on your next visit to Cape Verde.

Our kindest regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2013

I must start with that I booked only 3 nights hete thinking that oh well, this is a usual all-inclusive place for old farts and families with children - I will just unwind a couple of days and continue to other islands for having more adventurous time.
At the end of my stay my heart was bleeding - I simply didn't want to leave the place. The reason for this being is that even if this place have a lot of senior guests and guests with children, it's very well balanced by huge crowd of young animation staff and other personnel. Never seen anyone over 35, most are in their early 20s. They speak all major languages, are jovial, fun, always informal, in good mood and ready to help. To mention one case, the rest of my trip (after staying at Iberostar) was about to be spoiled by TACV who changed my flights as they pleased without considering my needs. So Iberostar staff contacted TACV, every hotel I booked, they gave me sound advice on how to best rearrange my trip and they rearranged it for me! I can't quite express how grateful I am!

The food is awesome - Iberostar chefs manage to turn even the most ordinary ingredients such as beans and cabbage into a chef-d-oeuvre. Not to mention ingredients fantastic in itself - such as calamari, fine beef and huge - and I mean HUGE - prawns.

The choice of spirits is fantastic again, with a lot of very expensive liquors on offer, and they mix any cocktail that comes into your mind.

The rooms are spacious, well-equipped and have their own balconies.

They also have quite an extensive library - mostly in German, though, but this is not surprising considering that 60 percent of guests are German (30 are French, and 10 are nationals of other countries). I still managed to find 3 books in English which suited my taste - I think it's a lot and it kept me amused the whole time.

The only 2 complaints that I have is that the Internet is not free (come on, guys, you won't go bankrupt for offering free wi-fi, much smaller businesses don't sweat it) and that spa zone is significantly understaffed - the ladies there work both as receptionists and masseurs, and they worked 10-20 all 3 days I've been staying at Iberostar. Plus there were only 4 of them while there are 6 massage tables. As a a result, I haven't been able to get all treatments I wanted. Again, come on guys, you can make more money by adding a couple of receptionists and a couple more masseurs.

All-in-all, thanks for everything, I'll be back in summer - this time with my friends and family - I know they will love the place.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank Moscow_Irina
Reviewed January 3, 2013

When we ordered this holiday at the travel agency, we pointed out that we wanted, sun, quiet and culinary quality. The sun was there, in the second week anyway but for this we cannot blame the travel agency. The hotel was reasonably quiet. The travel agency told us that there is nothing to see on Boa Vista. They were right. It is possible to leave the hotel by taxi to go to Sal Rei which is the "capital". But also in Sal Rei there is nothing to see. The most exciting element on the whole island is a ship that stranded in the late sixties. The decaying wreck is still visible.
And now for the culinary qualities of the hotel...Apart from the pool bar and the lobby bar where one can eat snacks, there is the main restaurant and the "à la carte" restaurant. The main restaurant serves breakfast, lunch and dinner as a buffet. The quality of the food is OK, but far from outstanding, but as the buffet is quite elaborate one will always find something edible. The cuisine, however, is simple, sometimes too simple.
And then there is....the "à la carte" restaurant. A la carte means that one receives a menu (la carte) and has the choice of the different courses on this menu. Not so here. You are required to make a reservation before visiting this restaurant and at the time of reservation you are given the choice between menu one or menu two. Not really à la carte. We decided to go for menu one with the idea to go back the following week for menu two.
The amuse was a croquette (no idea what is was filled with). The croquette was ice cold. Can you imagine to put something that was in a frying pan and then left to go completely cold in your mouth. It is horrible. The starter was spaghetti with crab. Luckily for the crab she was still happily crawling around on the bottom of the ocean. What was left was a portion of spaghetti in a tomato sauce straight from the tin and three mussels.
The main course was a grilled tuna steak with some vegetables. The tuna had been left on the grill for such a long time that is was completely cooked all the way. The meat was dry and impossible to eat with the fibres sticking between the teeth. The dessert was of the same quality. The bottle of local wine, from the island Fogo, charged at 22,5 euro was in fact just not good enough to be used in a vinaigrette.
Enough ranting. The room was OK, but gave the impression of being much older than she really was. And the staff are exceptionally friendly and warm. Not the commercial friendliness that we see so often here in Europe, but straight from the heart.
We spoke to guests that stayed in the Riu hotel a few years ago, and they were very disappointed with Iberostar Club.
If we ever go back to Cabo Verde we will give the island Sal a try and will surely avoid Iberostar hotels.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a room that faces the ocean, but point out to the travel agency that you do not wa...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Luc W
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear Luc,

Although we feel very sad to read that your stay was not as enjoyable as it could have been, we would like to thank you for sharing your observations with us because this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests a better service, which ultimately is the goal of Iberostar.

We do our utmost to ensure that our customers can enjoy an enriching dining experience in an unrivaled setting and with an excellent service. Therefore, we take no pleasure in presenting mediocre buffets. Our culinary team will continue working to surprise you with delicious international and local dishes at your next visit. We also took good note of your remarks regarding our à la carte restaurant and we are grateful that you shared your opinion as this will certainly help us to improve. As we speak, our responsible chef is revising the procedures to ensure that our demanding quality standards are fulfilled and to guarantee the conquest of all palates.

On the other hand, we are enchanted to read that you enjoyed the close and personalized service Iberostar is famous for. We lay much worth on our employees being guest orientated and find it wonderful that you underlined how much this contributed to your wellbeing at the Iberostar Club Boa Vista.

Further, we hope you had a nice journey back home and we thank you once more for sharing this review. In name of the staff and myself, I must say we were all delighted to have you among us and we look forward to receiving you again and show you that we took your comments into consideration.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The flight from London to Boa Vista is 6 hours. It is economy all the way with Thompson being the only operator. The transfer though is only 10 mins from the airport and there is only a one hour time difference – so no jet lag.

The hotel is very clean and the food is excellent. Meals are buffet style with an excellent selection of food. The ‘on tap’ alcohol is a bit rough, but the bars serve decent stuff all day. The staff are friendly and helpful.

There are three pools – none of them are heated and mid December they are far too cold to swim in, which is a huge pity. You can’t swim in the sea either - it is too dangerous. The hotel should definitely heat one of the pools, it would have made the holiday better. The beach is massive and very clean.

In mid December, you can guarantee the weather is lovely, a solid 26 and not a whiff of cloud or rain and the humidity is very low.

The kids club is a bit of an afterthought and poorly run. We only left out kids once. Whilst they are in the building it was fine (although the children are just left to their own devises, there is no structure), but they were not well supervised by the pool and on the beach. One of my sons has a peanut allergy and has to carry an epipen, and the sheer look of horror on the faces of the staff in kids club didn’t inspire us. There was also a huge language barrier – they only speak Portuguese and some Spanish, which is odd given their largest client base are German or German speaking.

There are a couple of shops on site, one of which sells basic medication such as paracetamol, which is useful (although expensive). The instructions to the medication are in German.

The location of our bungalow style rooms was excellent. It overlooked the sea and had a small, very neatly kept garden.

The clientele are on the older side. Sometimes, the place can get very noisy, the staff set up bingo and scream, numbers out.

The beach is accessed by steps, there is a ramp, but it is very steep and you would struggle to push a buggy or wheelchair up it.

If you want a holiday where there is absolutely nothing to do, the food is good, the pool is freezing and the sea unsafe, this is the place for you. I would also say it is not well geared up for families. All in all disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Cheryl H
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2012

Dear guest,

We feel disappointed and we want to apologize because this time we were not able to make your experience into the perfect holiday we wish to offer to all our guests. Nevertheless, we are enchanted that you made the effort to write a review, which will certainly help us to do better on coming occasions.

We are very sorry that some of our installations like the access to the beach and the unheated pools couldn´t fulfill your expectations. We have passed your remarks to the headquarters and we commit to study the possibility to adapt some of the facilities.

To continue, we would like to point out that we are very sorry not to have been able to meet your expectations on animation and kidclubs. We will continue doing our best to bring performances and a program which are of good taste and variety

Further, we are very satisfied that you are so enthusiastic about all of our prime pillars to offer a splendid stay to our guests. Service orientation and helpfulness of our staff, cleanliness of the in- and outside installations, gastronomical delights and an extraordinary location are the most important elements of our company and reading that you find them all marvelous, fills us with joy and proud. We thank you for highlighting these aspects of your holiday as this motivates and stimulates us to keep meeting our outstanding quality standards.

Feedback like yours is very important to us, so we know what we can improve to reach an even higher and more exclusive service for our guests. We will certainly take your comments into our consideration and we will do our utmost to improve the points you mentioned.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed December 26, 2012

What a lovely hotel! The hotel is located right on the beach with amazing views. There are plenty of activities to keep you entertained throughout the day and night and the animation team (especially Ani and Braiman) work their socks off all round the clock! There is food and drink available 24 hours round the clock and there is a wide variety of choice for all meals. The pool is big with plenty of deckchairs and also there are deckchairs on the beach. The service at reception, in the bars and restaurants is of a high standard. One fault though is that wifi is rather expensive and it would be nice for it to be free. There is plenty of seating all over the hotel so it never feels busy even though it was full when we were there. I would recommend going quadbiking and you can book this on the beach. Overall I would whole-heartedly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Anon864
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012

Dear guest,

We always find it nice to read that our guests went home with great holiday memories and we are very grateful for the time and effort that you gave yourself to share the experience of your recent holiday with us and Tripadvisor readers.

We would like to let you know that the head departments have been informed about your comments regarding the wifi prices as this is a matter established by them on a global level.

We also thank you for letting us know that our culinary offer could largely satisfy you. The gastronomy is an important facet of our company and we do our utmost to please all palates. It is enjoyable to read that we could conquest yours.

On the other hand, we are delighted to see that you really enjoyed the beauty of the beach and pool. It is our intention to offer pleasing and clean accommodation in unbeatable locations with splendid facilities and lovely surroundings.

Further, we are grateful and satisfied that you described the hotel as lovely with welcoming staff, friendly waiters and a very nice animation team. In our opinion, the human forces in Iberostar are one of the most important pillars to build a hotel that offers wellbeing, comfort and marvelous holiday conditions. Therefor we are delighted you enjoyed this part so much!

On behalf of the staff and myself, I must say we were all enchanted to have you at the Iberostar Club Boa Vista. We trust it will not be long before you will be back with us for another visit. We assure you in advance of our utmost care and attention and, we look forward to thank you personally for your encouraging review and whole-hearted recommendation.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a two week holiday at the above hotel. It was not our first time to this delightful hotel we have been three times before. This hotel just gets better and better with every visit.
Now I'll say this is not for anyone looking for the nightlife, shops or theme parks. This place is one of the few remaining natural unspoilt places in the world which is quite easy to get to from the UK and Europe.
The hotel is situated in the middle of a very long beach which stretches for miles to the south and almost as many miles to the north of clean unspoilt beautiful sand. You will not be pestered by people trying to sell you things, you may see the odd fisherman trying to catch his dinner and you will of course see other like minded holiday makers enjoying the peace and quiet of these wonderful unspoilt beaches.
The hotel has some of the friendliest staff you will ever meet, they work hard to ensure you enjoy your holiday, their motto is "BoaVista - No stress and that’s what they wish for their guests. The food is very good, with loads to choose from, drinks are served by happy bar staff, always with a smile. Rooms are very clean and beds extremely comfortable.
The Animation Team are fun, friendly and entertaining, what more could you wish for? Well if you don't want to join in their fun you will not be pressured, that’s not their way. There's a show most nights and a disco for those who still have the energy after a hard day in the sun. Its a wonderful stress busting place to go to for a hard earned break.
We will go back next year again as I’m told it’s a great place to see the whale migration, so we can’t wait.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank gordliza
IberostarHoteles, Online Reputation Manager at IBEROSTAR Club Boa Vista, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear guest,

In the first place, we would like to thank you for your stay in our Iberostar Club Boa Vista and for your supportive comments. It is a pleasure for us to read how much you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We are particularly happy that you stated that “This delightful hotel just gets better and better with every visit” Exactly this is our goal! We are convinced that listening to our clients is the best way to achieve their satisfaction and this is why we lay much worth on the reviews written by our guests. Yours is a real source of motivation to continue striving to fulfill all the demanding Iberostar quality standards!

On behalf of the staff and myself, I must say we were all enchanted to have you at the Iberostar Club Boa Vista. We trust it will not be long before you will be back with us for another visit. We assure you in advance of our utmost care and attention and, we look forward to thank you personally for your encouraging review.

Our best regards,

Reviewed November 22, 2012

I can highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Boa Vista. It was absolutely excellent in all aspects. It's only a short drive from the airport, which meant that we were at the hotel in time for lunch. On arrival, we were immediately presented with iced tea, and the receptionist very kindly let us know that the main restaurant was due to close in 15 minutes and recommended that we head straight over, so that we didn't miss out. We left our luggage for the porter and took his advice. Although it was close to the end of lunch service, the buffet was still very well stocked with both hot and cold food of all descriptions and had we so desired, there was a cook available to cook the 'dish of the day' to order.

When we finished lunch, we found that our luggage was already at our spotlessly clean room, - incidentally, one of the nicest I have stayed in overseas. Clearly a lot of thought had gone in to what the customer might need/want on arrival - bottled water in fridge, all toiletries (including insect repellent wipes),fresh flowers arranged on the beds. We hadn't booked a sea view balcony, but we overlooked a small garden area which was equally pretty.

We wandered down to the beach bar to find that as well as a full range of drinks there was a well stocked fridge containing ready made sandwiches, bottled water, bowls of olives, other little nibbles and pastries that we were able to help ourselves to. The cheery barmaid suggested that we try the champagne (in fact - really good Cava), which was beautifully chilled and just what the doctor ordered! Sunbeds were available nearer the water and we watched whilst a waiter make a few return journeys from bar to shoreline carrying trays of various cold drinks to offer around.

The main bar, restaurant and lobby bar all stocked a full range of local and branded drinks (Gordons Gin, Baileys, Jack Daniels, Malts, Courvoisier etc) as varied as you would find in any bar in the UK). You could also get freshly ground coffee at the bar (no extra charge).There was also a machine at the pool restaurant, where you could choose anything from coffee to hot chocolate. Branded soft drinks, beer,wine, lemon tea were on tap at both main restaurants and bottled water and ice were also available for you to help yourself to at any time.

If you fancied a change from the main restaurant there was a lunch 'menu' at the pool restaurant from which you could order burgers/sandwiches/pasta/fries etc (again no extra cost) but also a salad buffet, fresh pizza and desert available at any time during the day.
If all of this wasn't enough, periodically the staff would take ice cream/ice lollies/beer/soft drinks round the pool to offer you if you didn't feel like moving.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was nothing short of splendid - wonderful buffet to choose from - fruit,cheese,ham,nuts,raisins, cereals, sweet pastries, croissants, bread for toast, rolls but my particular favourite was the freshly cooked pancakes with a range of sweet syrups and the hot buffet/breakfast griddle where you could get omelette and freshly fried eggs to order. I

I've seen a review about 'overcooked' food on here and i can only surmise that this was in the 'A La Carte' restaurant, because in the main restaurant the fresh fish/meat was cooked in front of you and you had the chance to say -'that's fine' or 'cook it more' or whatever. We tried 'a la carte' one night - there was nothing particularly 'wrong' with the food but it certainly wasn't as good as the food in the main restaurant. (Plus you had to choose your menu when you pre-booked your table 24hrs prior, which i find difficult as never know in advance what I fancy!!). Wine served by the bottle in the ALC was at additional cost - average 20 Euros, so not prohibitive.

I couldn't finish this review without adding a note about the tremendous Animation Team, who worked their socks off throughout! Starting their day with a wee poolside dance, then looking after various activities all day as well as starring in the nightly evening 'show' - they were fantastic. Always cheerful, never hassling you to take part in anything - just letting you know what was going on in case you felt like it. The entertainment was extremely varied, from gentler pursuits such as Pilates to more lively activities such as Beach Volleyball. There really was something for everyone and you could effectively have filled your day taking part if you're not good at lying around soaking up the sunshine. Spa treatments were also available (at an additional charge)

As well as the internet access in the lobby using the hotels computers, there was also WIFI in the 'chill out' area near the pool. 20 Euros for 24 hours was the best deal, but you could purchase time from an hour upwards.

To sum up - a wonderful experience in a wonder location. The whole resort far exceeded our expectations - we didn't have to ask for a single thing to make our stay more enjoyable - the hotel had provided it before you even knew you wanted it! Top notch.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Susan S

Dear guest,

To succeed it fills us with proud to read that you find the meals excellent and the staff nice. These features are our prime pillars because we are convinced that only through their excellence we will be able to reach complete client satisfaction. We will pass this compliments to the concerning colleagues, as this kind of reconfirming mentions, help us to continue working motivated in the future. It is also a pleasure to read that the clean room, the value for money and the location, were satisfactory to you.

In Iberostar it is our goal to achieve that our guests enjoy a splendid and unforgettable holiday and phrases like “The whole resort far exceeded our expectations - we didnt have to ask for a single thing to make our stay more enjoyable - the hotel had provided it before you even knew you wanted it! “show us that on this occasion we have been successful in our attempt to be proactive. This motivates us to keep meeting our demanding quality standards because to us there is no better reward than the affirmation of our guests that they had a lovely stay.

Yours sincerely,