“Dangerous”

Essex Junction, Vermont, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Dangerous”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This company is notorious for sending unqualified/irresponsible guides down the river with groups of people and has led to some horrific consequences in the past. I am truly surprised that New York State allowed them to remain in business after last years passenger death due in an intoxicated guide. Beware if you decide to raft with this company. You'd be smart to check out other companies who will make the experience much more fun while making sure you feel safe.

Visited July 2012
7 Thank Nick C

Boynton Beach, Florida
“Wow, how exciting!”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Being in the north to visit family in August, my wife and I took this trip as part of a weekend package vacation at the Thousand islands Inn, in Clayton, wanting to see the 1000 Islands. The package vacation included a half day of guided fishing and another half day raft trip on the nearby Black River, with Hudson River Rafting.
No doubt about it, the rafting trip was the highlight on our vacation. We had seen TV shows on rafting trips, especially out west, so the thought enticed us. The Black River was fast flowing and that added much to the enjoyment trip. Who wants to float down a creek? You just have to be prepared for it and know you are going to get wet.
Our guide told us that usually somebody happens to fall overboard, but not to worry. On our trip, apparently true to form, a young fellow trying to exert his expertise, perhaps for the benefit of his girl friend, zigged when he should have zagged and into the river he went. He was quickly retrieved and safely redelivered to our raft.Their staff was great and always there to quickly help and insure our enjoyment and safety.
I can honestly say that our experience was great and we would recommend it to all of our friends. Physically, it's more than a walk in the park, but on the excitement level, it's a great experience. The people on the raft that had the most fun were in their 70s!
I can understand why people come back every year because every trip must be a different experience. For sure, we'll be back with family and bring our north country friends the next time we come north, go fishing from the Inn and rafting the Black, and really make it a great, cheap weekend vacation in the 1000 Islands.
After reading some of the reviews and having personally experienced the trip, perhaps many are not prepared for what the trip involves? Our trip proved that it was enjoyable for people from ages 20 to 78!

Visited August 2012
Lk Geo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't risk your life!!!”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Due to the recent reports regarding Hudson River Rafting, I feel compelled to tell and warn you of our experience with this company. In July 2010, my husband and I took our visiting guest to HRRC to white water on the Hudson. Not sure why we opted for this company! We had 8 people in our raft, which included the guide (we do not remember his name). The trip seemed to be going well until the guide sensed that we were a group that wanted a little more excitement. He thought it would be fun to try to throw out one of the passengers from the raft, but his timing was very poor. He did this just before a section of Class 4 rapid. The entire raft capsized and all 8 of us were now in the rushing, rocky river. I really thought I was going to die that day! 2 passengers got run over by other rafts and pushed deep down into the river. Another 2 (one was me) got sucked into a hydrolic and we were lucky enough to keep our wits about us to push off a rock to escape being sucked deeper into the river. I remember the rapids were so fast and the waves so deep, I hit every rock on the way down the river, which seemed to go on forever. Thank God, there were other rafting companies on the river that day, every raft out there tried saving us and we all were finally rescued by another company. We were the only raft that had a problem that day. We did not file a complaint, I guess because we all understand that accidents do happen...however we did not realize the number of "accidents" that the Hudson River Rafting Company has experienced. We were not offered anything...refund, discount, apology, etc. Now after reading all the press and articles about HRRC...I don't understand how Mr. Cunningham can operate his business in this manner. Risking his reputation and his livelyhood. WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE SURVIVED!!

Visited November 2011
14 Thank Nancy L
Glens Falls, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“They have already killed someone...who's next?”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Do your research on this company. Due to incompetence they killed someone. Soon the State of New York will shut them down, and rightfully so.

Visited September 2012
9 Thank sunshinepatti
Albany, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Save your time and money drive by this place!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I took my 15 yr old son to introduce him to something I enjoy in April when the water was high, almost as high as our guide. The "kid" and I use the word honestly didn't have a clue and looks like it was his first time doing this was clueless from the start. He put a boat of strangers in the water with no instruction and within 2 minutes of entering, the whole rt side of the boat was in the water with everyone floating in the 38 degree water including my son! so much for keeping warm on the 4 hr trip! Needless to say the guide was very concerned that his cigarettes got wet!! We proceeded to get caught up on every rock in the river! Not to mention the guides were very concerned of not getting too close to the other companys because they "didn't get along with them" spend your money elsewhere!!!!!!

Visited April 2012