“Location is its only redemption”

Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Boston, Massachusetts
“Location is its only redemption”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

The only thing working for this hotel is the fact that its a short 5 minute walk from the State park and the American Falls. The state park trolley ensures you don't have to pay for parking and can walk to a few of the restaurants on Niagara Street and the One Niagara Mall.

The breakfast consisted of baked goods, which was fresh but I cannot imagine how they intend to fit everyone into the room with 4 tables. I shudder to think how it will be like on weekends later on in the summer. I had a room on the 3rd floor, I daresay I could not take the stench coming from the carpet, was it because the property is pet friendly or they are using some sort of disinfectant, I could not say. The room was clean and faced the back of the hotel and the park, could see the sun set, a saving grace. The room had leftover soap in the shower, I just prayed that they had changed the sheets.

I would not recommend this property to someone, I do hope they redo the place. If not for the location, this place would have been shut down years ago.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the back , get to see the park and the sunset.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
hojo00139, General Manager at Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor regarding your stay at our property in Niagara Falls. I am sorry your stay was less than satisfying. I have spoken to the head housekeeper regarding the condition of your room. Our location to the falls and all major attractions do make us an ideal choice for visitors traveling to the Niagara Region. The hotel adds more seating for breakfast outside as the summer season approaches. Thank you for your comments as they help us serve our guests better.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

It was the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed at (and I have stayed in third world country motels). I had my 10 month old daughter, 6 year old step son, and husband with me. I was so grossed out, I wouldn't let my daughter on the carpet unless I had a sheet laying on the floor. I basically showered with my eyes closed so I wouldn't see the dirt surrounding me in the tub. I contacted Howard Johnson's headquarters, and got an email back saying they always get great reviews about that hotel. I guess they don't browse the web often enough, because when I can tell, no one likes this place. The ONE nice thing about it was that it was so close to the bridge. But, my advice is just stay on the Canada side because Niagara Falls, NY is UGLY. Only nice place to eat there was Hard Rock Cafe. Oh, and the pool made me want to throw up. While my children were swiming around with their dad and nice big thing of snot floated by. I was completely done at the point. Also, because we didn't book directly through them (from what the front desk told us) we had to get a room in the smoking floor because there was nothing else there.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
hojo00139, Owner at Howard Johnson Closest to the Falls and Casino, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thanks you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel in Niagara Falls. I am sorry your experience was less than satisfying. I have spoken to housekeeping and maintenance regarding the condition of your room and the pool. We have addressed the situation to ensure guest satisfaction in the future. Thanks for your comments as they help us provide our guests with clean comfortable rooms at reasonable price

Travelers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels