The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Milton
“Horrible”
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Worst dinner, I have ever order in a Restaurant. The Rooms are okay, but I will never stay there again.

Stayed October 2007
3 Thank LivinginHalton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
  • Turkish first
Chicago
Reviewed November 10, 2007

I was a little turned off about the place at first when I tried calling them to get more information on the rooms. The person on the phone didn't seem very helpful or interested.... Don't let that deter you from booking your stay here though because it is a great place and the person I was talking to was probably just having an off day. We ended up staying in the Saxon after our first choice was unavailable. It was located right next door to the restaurant and had a view looking out towards where the rapids are. This room was gorgeous! It was a lot nicer than we were expecting for the price quite honestly. The living room area was huge and had a beautiful fireplace and a nice couch. When we first arrived we laid out some blankets in the living room and fell asleep watching some TV next to the fireplace. There were french doors leading the bedroom. The bedroom was pretty too, and the bed was SO comfy! The breakfast they keep ready for you in the fridge was more than sufficient.

The bathroom was very small however, and the tub was only big enough for one person. I think the bathrooms in some of the other rooms have bigger ones.

I think this was the perfect place to stay and if we ever go back to Niagara Falls, this is where I would want to be.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Froggie123
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2007

After reading glowing reports about this inn, we decided to give it a try, rather than staying at one of the usual hotel chains. However, I now wish I had gone with the tried and trusted.

The location of the inn is about the best there is on the American side of the Falls - no disputing that. If you like old buildings, and I mean really old, with uneven and creaking floors, shabby carpeting and rusty old windows, then this could be the place for you. As far as I am concerned, old buildings need to be updated regularly whilst still maintaining their original charm.

We stayed in the Windemere suite, a one bedroomed one, with a living area. The furnishings are old and shabby and, if kitch is appealing to you, there is more than enough of it here. The lighting is shocking, and even with all the lamps on, it is still too dark. Dimmer switches would be a good idea, rather, if a romantic mood is desired. Nice gas fireplace and good reading material on the coffee table, though.
The fridge is in the bedroom area, which is stupid, seeing as you would not eat in there. Ours clicked on and off all night, as it had clearly not been defrosted in ages, and made the most awful racket. We turned it off the second night and slept much better! The bed was very comfortable, and the linens, although a bit marked here and there, seemed clean, if not pressed. The bathroom is nothing special - small, with a regular sized jetted tub and a shower in the tub. Clean enough, but the hinges of toilet seat and the grouting need some attention. Nice touch the large magnifying mirror, and there is also a small, but largely inefficient hairdryer.

The biggest disappointment, though, is the breakfast, which is placed in the fridge the day before it is to be consumed. Covered in plastic wrap, is a plate for one. One yoghurt, two dry cakes, three fruits, one orange juice,one hard bagel, one squashed muffin,one commercial cereral pack, two granola packs, four grapes and one piece of cheese( only on the first day). As this place claims to be a B&B, this is a dismal attempt at a breakfast. With its gorgeous restaurant, one wonders why a decent buffet breakfast with some hot items cannot be served, rather. This is not a cheap inn ( we paid $199 per night, including taxes), so this paltry attempt at breakfast, is not acceptable.

No chance that we would be staying there again, I am afraid. It might appeal to the less fussy, but as someone who has stayed at some of the world's best inns and B&B's, this one leaves a lot to be desired.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The breakfast
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kas55
The South
Reviewed October 30, 2007

We stayed at this property for our 10th wedding anniversary in the Nottingham room. Our room was facing the American rapids on the third floor. It was a one bedroom suite. It was quaint and charming. The section that our room was in had its own locked entrance. It had a locked door that your room key opened just to get inside to access the stairs. I felt very safe.

If you are expecting an updated, state of the art facility, then please don't stay here. You will probably just be disappointed. The inn is an older building. The floor is not even in some places. There are old sliding windows. The stairs creak. There is no elevator and no help with your luggage. We were ok with all of these things. The inn had so much character to make up for all that it lacked.

The suite had been updated in the kitchen and bath. The one thing not updated in the bath was the tub. We did not use it. It needs to be updated as it is old and the jets do not work. We don't take baths in hotels anyway. The mattress on the bed was old and bumpy and probably should be replaced, but we walked so much and were so tired that it really did not matter if it was comfy or not.

The view out of our window was excellent. We opened the window and listened to the rapids while we were there. Our first night there was quiet, but during our second night, there was an incident where we were awoken by a screaming man in the parking lot. The parking lot was on the other side of the building. The manager told us the next morning that it was an argument that carried over from the casino having to do with a guest and nothing to do with the inn. We were told that had never happened before. I would not want to stay in the rooms which face the parking lot but was perfectly happy in my room facing the street.

One last thing...don't try to check in early. They just look at you like you are stupid. The staff here is not the friendliest, but luckily we did not need them much. The restaurant staff is great. We had a wonderful waitress, but I can't remember her name.

We loved staying here. It is so close to everything that we were interested in, and we loved how quaint it was. Our suite was very large. We spent so much time walking and sightseeing that we did not spend much time in our room. We loved having breakfast in the fridge each morning. There was enough for both of us, and it was convenient. We especially loved the granola.

My advice is, If you know which room you want (such as one facing the rapids and on the third floor) and don't need a lot of help from the staff, you may love it too.

• Liked — the character of the building and room
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank luvs-2-trvl-now
Southampton, NY
Reviewed October 21, 2007

We experienced the worst travel nightmare at this hotel
Dangerous lack of security and no night monitoring at this hotel whatsoever.
Please -beware of rooms that open out to the parking lot. I wouldnt stay here again for free.

When we arrived ,We were taken to our room-it seemed ok but The tub was marked with black soot and there was peeling paint over the shower.But otherwise the am fruit bowl and bagel was in the fridge..however...

We were given a room on the first floor that opened up to the rear parking lot . At 3am that morning we were awakened by loud banging on our door and a sreaming man who said he wanted to talk to us. We called the front desk-no answer -it is unmanned at night. The "security " number on the phone was simply an answering service ; we apparently woke this attendant up -there was no one on site from the hotel or their "security "firm to assist us .
The man with a friend returned 15 minutes later...yelling through
the door at us -finally after three (3) 911 calls to the police dept the officers arrived They .assured us all was ok. -the individuals were apprehended.

Obviously This was a botched robbery -or push in...no doubt about it The whole ordeal lasted over an hr and one half and was extremely frightening

The next am the manager came by and offered to move us --right next door to where we were .there was nothing in the main bldg we were told..we did not feel safe , she did call another b&b and we moved there .......much better and safe!! The manager admitted that the rear gates never close and she was under the mistaken assumption that the after hours tel number was a security company..

The worst was that the absentee owner refused to make any concessions on the bill-he felt he was not there to witness this..( I have documented 911 calls ....the adjoining room 's occupants was also awoken -(by the way we were there to attend parents weekend at the local University) Why on earth would I be calling 911 at that hour??

Do not stay here ...........theres no security at night and the owner who would not even give out his tel number, is unethical &unprofessional .......run run run from this place It really ruined our trip.

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank mercedes118
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I wanted to take my fiance on a romantic get-away, and boy did I make a mistake by picking the Red Coach Inn! Their website boasted lots of great reviews, so I took a chance and got one of their package deals. What a ripoff! Our shower curtain had mold, the tub was disgusting with black scum/grout, our "fruit and cheese platter" consisted of a few grapes and little packets of swiss cheese in the fridge, and the continental breakfast was a plate of food wrapped in plastic wrap left in the fridge. The glasses in the fridge were dirty so I had to rinse it out to use it. I felt icky the whole time we were there. My fiance didn't even take a shower because he felt gross in the bathroom. They charged me the first night's stay when I reserved the room, so I knew I wouldn't be able to get a refund if I left early. They probably do that so they can keep you there even if you hate the place. The check-in area is the same as the front desk for the restaurant, which is confusing. I HATED this place, they ruined our weekend, and I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Disgusting Bathroom!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jazzycrooner
Pocono Lake, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2007

The Red Coach Inn is a quaint bed and breakfast within walking distance of the falls. We booked the rooms after seeing them online without benefit of referral or advice. We were not diappointed; the rooms were as beautiful as the pictures and very affordable for two couples sharing a suite. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath suite with kitchen and living room. It was heaven. The victorian decore was tasteful and the beds very comfortable. The only disappointment was the breakfast included with the room, but that is probably why the price is reasonable. It was already packed up in the refrigerator to eat the next morning so of course the bagel and scone were not fresh. The homemade granola was delicious and the fruit was good, but we still would have liked to be served downstairs in the dining room as is the case in most bed and breakfasts. But as I said it is very affordable and the accomodations are not only graceful, but tranquil. I would definitely return and recommend the Red Coach Inn highly.

• Liked — The size of the rooms and comfortable atmosphere
  • Disliked — The breakfast included was already in the refrigerator and not freshly served in the morning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family