“Terrible - Dirty & Too Expensive”

The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Ithaca, NY
“Terrible - Dirty & Too Expensive”
Reviewed October 9, 2007

I wanted to take my fiance on a romantic get-away, and boy did I make a mistake by picking the Red Coach Inn! Their website boasted lots of great reviews, so I took a chance and got one of their package deals. What a ripoff! Our shower curtain had mold, the tub was disgusting with black scum/grout, our "fruit and cheese platter" consisted of a few grapes and little packets of swiss cheese in the fridge, and the continental breakfast was a plate of food wrapped in plastic wrap left in the fridge. The glasses in the fridge were dirty so I had to rinse it out to use it. I felt icky the whole time we were there. My fiance didn't even take a shower because he felt gross in the bathroom. They charged me the first night's stay when I reserved the room, so I knew I wouldn't be able to get a refund if I left early. They probably do that so they can keep you there even if you hate the place. The check-in area is the same as the front desk for the restaurant, which is confusing. I HATED this place, they ruined our weekend, and I would not recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Disgusting Bathroom!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jazzycrooner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Turkish first
Pocono Lake, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 6, 2007

The Red Coach Inn is a quaint bed and breakfast within walking distance of the falls. We booked the rooms after seeing them online without benefit of referral or advice. We were not diappointed; the rooms were as beautiful as the pictures and very affordable for two couples sharing a suite. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bath suite with kitchen and living room. It was heaven. The victorian decore was tasteful and the beds very comfortable. The only disappointment was the breakfast included with the room, but that is probably why the price is reasonable. It was already packed up in the refrigerator to eat the next morning so of course the bagel and scone were not fresh. The homemade granola was delicious and the fruit was good, but we still would have liked to be served downstairs in the dining room as is the case in most bed and breakfasts. But as I said it is very affordable and the accomodations are not only graceful, but tranquil. I would definitely return and recommend the Red Coach Inn highly.

• Liked — The size of the rooms and comfortable atmosphere
  • Disliked — The breakfast included was already in the refrigerator and not freshly served in the morning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank PeggyD33
Tampa, FL
Reviewed August 28, 2007

My husband & I visited Niagara Falls in early August and, after reading such positive reviews from Trip Advisor, decided to stay at the Red Coach Inn. We chose to stay two nights in a one-bedroom suite (“Oxford”). It was located on the third floor and was quite spacious and nicely decorated, though a little “worn” (note: there is no elevator, though we didn’t mind the exercise). There was a nice living area, a full kitchen w/eat-in area, a nice-sized bedroom with king-sized bed and a full bath w/small spa tub (note: the tub jets were filthy, so we opted not to use the tub). Our room was located directly across from the American Rapids, but the view out the small living room windows was somewhat obstructed by the nice trees growing outside. However, if you opened the windows you could definitely hear the sounds of the rushing water. The property location was great. The inn is right across the street from Goat Island and Niagara Falls State Park. We walked and/or took the trolley ($2/day) to everything (i.e. Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, Visitor Center, etc.). We also chose to purchase the Niagara Falls “Passport” through the Park Service and felt it was a pretty good deal ($28pp cost includes admission to 6 popular attractions, as well as several discount coupons for other things to do in the area). We also walked over the Rainbow Bridge into Canada one day and are glad that we decided to stay on the much quieter American side as the Canadian side is much more of a tourist trap and is very busy and built-up. The staff at the inn was great as well (particularly Anthony!). We ate at the inn’s restaurant one night and they were able to fit us in at the last minute even though we had no reservation (probably because we were staying on site and it was mid-week). The food was very good and the desserts were great. All-in-all we had a great stay at the Red Coach and hope to travel back again next year with our kids.

• Liked — Great location, superior service
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Tampa_FL_Girl
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed August 14, 2007

I booked the Victoria Suite for the night before our wedding ceremony after reading so many good reviews on Tripadvisor. It was so good that, with hindsight, I wished I had booked for two nights. All I can say is that this Suite exceeded all my expectations - it was more like a small apartment and was absolutely spotless.
On the day of our arrival we enjoyed a late lunch taken on the terrace of the hotel. The food was good and the staff friendly and efficient. The Continental Breakfast in our room the next day was, contrary to some reviews, very nice and more than adequate.
On the morning of our departure we were allowed a late check out so that we could return to our room and get changed after our wedding ceremony. We really appreciated this as we were leaving straight away for New York.
These were all the good points.The only bad point was that the bedrooms are at the back of the building, as are the air conditioning units for the kitchens (at least I think that's what they were). The noise was a little bit obtrusive but it didn't spoil our stay.

• Liked — Size of Suite
  • Disliked — Stairs up to suite
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank ceegeegee
lancaster,pa
Reviewed August 13, 2007

We chose a 1 bed lower price room. When we arrived our room was on 1st floor back of building and we were told that no one is there overnight !! You are next to the long closed museum separated by an open gate.The room was very clean but you could not use the antique dresser because of very stained shelf paper. We checked out the 2nd day and moved to the Comfort across the street. By the way i grew up in Niagara Falls and go back every year or so. We stayed here because my mother in law, brother in law and 3 grandchildren loved their stay-indoors in the front of the building in a suite. Air conditioning weak.

Stayed April 2006
1 Thank justvisiting16
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 11, 2007

While this was the off season for this area, we had a wonderful stay here. We took the train in from NYC and a cab ride over to the Inn.

The Inn was mostly vacant so we had the place to ourselves. Our room was a mini apartment with a living room, kitchen, and bedroom, all facing the rapids outside. This was one of the most romantic places a couple could stay at. You almost didn't want to leave the room.

Even though it was December, the weather was nice, and we walked around a bit to see the river. The immediate area around the Inn is nothing spectacular (except towards the river), and there is not much in the way of restaurant choices. However, the restaurant at the Inn is wonderful though, and there is no need to eat anywhere else.....unless you go over to the Canadian side.

I can''t say enough good about this place. I recommend it fully for a couple to get away and enjoy a quiet romantic getaway for two.

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — The area around the Inn
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank bluestraverler
Russell Springs, KY
Reviewed August 5, 2007

What a treat! This place was absolutely fantastic! I stayed in the Coventry suite...which they really should name the the Coventry SWEET! It was like a two bedroom apartment! Full living room with fireplace, a full kitchen and dining area, two bedrooms and a bathroom you could actually move around in! Plenty of closet space to boot. The people were very attentive and polite and wasted no time in getting things done around there!

Right outside the window was a view of the rushing water that led to the Falls. A beautiful park was a hop and a skip away, as well as other "touristy" things to do. There was really no need to even leave the immediate area. They had room service with wonderful food, wine, beer, cheese, fruit, anything you wanted! Not to mention a bar and full restaurant just two doors down.

The first morning I awoke and was so pleased to find my coffee and breakfast ready for me. It was pleasant because with a flip of a switch, I had instant fireplace with my morning feast. I had everything I needed that most people don't think to pack, such as something so simple as a bottle opener and a bath robe!

To be honest, I had no intention of staying in a bed & breakfast, as they are a just a bit pricey. I had made last minute reservations because EVERY hotel in town was booked the weekend I wanted to visit the Niagara Falls, Buffalo area. I am very lucky they had a room available for me. It was definitely worth it. They carried my luggage in immediately upon arrival. Let me just add the most important thing I noticed here. They did not bother me! Nope, it was quiet, and if I did need anything, the front desk was just a phone call away.

Anyway, I could brag for hours on this place, literally. I highly recommend this for anyone. Really, all you need is your clothes when you stay here.

And I might just add, I've read the other other reviews. Some people didn't seem happy with not having elevators and parking in the rear. And that's ok. But let me just reiterate...they carry your luggage for you. I have no issues with carrying my own weight a few feet from the car to the front door.

I'm definitely planning on returning! Thanks and keep up the excellent work!

Stayed April 2007
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls
Hampton Inn Niagara Falls
#5 of 51 in Niagara Falls
Niagara Falls Marriott Fallsview Hotel & Spa

Been to The Red Coach Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast Hotel? Share your experiences!