“Not as I remembered”

Como Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 311 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The joy of fine food, accented by outstanding imported wines and liquors, makes dining at the Como Restaurant a memorable experience.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

The Como restaurant was clean and pleasantly decorated. I had not been there in many years and was excited about taking my kids and grand kids for dinner while we were in town. We had a very nice waitress who delivered water and bread to our table in a timely manner. Little did we know that this would be the tastiest part of our meal. The menu was extensive and we tried 6 different entres. The fried calamari was tender, but without flavor. The tortellini supreme was very generously portioned but the sauce on it was heavy as lead. The lasagna was room temperature and lacked any moisture, had no meat and the cheese must have been lo-no fat. The veal scallopini was overcooked and tasteless. The meatball that accompanied the spaghetti was dry (again, very lean meat?) and lacked seasoning. Chicken dish was bland and the fried scallops were small but acceptable. Their pasta sauce is a very sweet recipe.
Don't bother with the cannollis, again, dry and tasteless. Sorry Como, very disappointed!
Regarding value...if the meal was delicious, $150 would be very good, but large portions
are of little value if they are not eaten and/or enjoyed.

2  Thank parkers11

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Do not leave Niagara Falls without going to the hometown restaurant that's been a mainstay for decades! Truly italian; employees mostly family. Private receipes that "grandma" makes. The sauce is to cry/die for, not too sweet, not to overburden with spices, just perfect. Try the delicate yet substantial desserts too.

1  Thank semo2300
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Maybe my expectations were too high as its been many years since I last dined at the Como. Growing up in NF, my grandfather was friends with Mr. Francesco Antonacci, so we dined here frequently.

This past August, home for a family reunion, we of course chose the Como for our get-together dinner. While still the familiar Como decor, the service was average but the quality of the food was disappointing. Salads that were drowning in dressing, gnocchi that was heavy and doughy and sauce that was flavorless. The portions were very large and the bread was good, but the entrees were lacking. Some of us ordered dessert and the lemon cake was tasty.

Bottom line: a disappointing meal in a restaurant with many fond memories and a successful history in NF. Not writing them off, just expecting more.

2  Thank Harleyz
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Authentic Italian restaurant has been in town about 60 years. Not in the greatest part of town; but the restaurant is very clean & nicely decorated. The food is just as good as it was 50 years ago!

1  Thank marya50Usa
Reviewed August 15, 2012

As a Canadian, I now know why no one goes to the American side of the falls. What a depressing town it is. We had never been to the american side of the falls, so we thought we might do some shopping there. Other than the B&B we stayed at "The Butler House" which was very nice, Como restaurant was probably the highlight of this sad town. The service was very friendly, the place was clean and the food was good, and lots of it! So much so, we had a full meal the next night with the food we took back! I enjoyed the sauce. My husband also enjoyed his meal. I don't know if I'll ever go back to this town, there is nothing to do. We did have a good trip to Fort Niagara and the charming village of Youngstown. The state park is lovely & Como family restaurant was a winner.