“Never disappoints!”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was I believe our 6th visit to The Western Door. We usually go once a year (sometimes twice).

We visited on Saturday, November 16th and as usual from start to finish the food, the service & the ambiance didn't disappoint.

We did have reservations and were taken right in to our seats. Our servers were STELLAR. I can't say enough about Cathy (& Stephen). Attentive but also allowing us private time by not hovering (it was my BD weekend).

We ordered a dozen oysters as a starter and as usual they were perfect.

For the main course my husband had the NY Striploin with a Lobster Tail added on. I had the special which was a petite Filet Mignon w/Lobster Tail. Both our meals were cooked to PERFECTION (Med-Rare). We also had a bottle of Masi Valpolicella.

Definitely one of our fav's and we'll be back!!!

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Our experience at the Western Door was a good one. The three breads and butters were scrumptious, as was the soup of the day (cream of asparagus). The steaks are expensive, but huge. I had 3 additional meals from my prime rib...even my half of the baked potato lasted for 2 additional meals (the sides are big enough for at least 2-3 people and the waiter did suggest that the sides are for sharing). The dessert (chocolate melting type cake) was good, but nothing exceptional...again, large and rich so that I ended up taking over half home.

We had reservations for 5:15 on a Friday in Nov. (not really tourist season) and were seated immediately. The restaurant didn't seem to get full until closer to 6. In fact, the casino was farily empty when we arrived, enough so that there wasn't enough smoke to bother me walking through. By the time dinner ended, that had changed. However, the smoke-free gaming room was okay for us (sometimes the smoke gets so bad that even that room bothers me...I am very sensitive to smoke).

We sat in the no-smoking section of the Western Door and were quite comfortable smoke-wise, though somebody somewhere had a cigar near the end of our dinner and I heard several people in our section complain...not just me. It didn't last long, so perhaps they had whoever it was move or put it out.

The ambiance is elegant, but not amazing. We sat at tables for two arranged along a long padded bench. These tables were fairly close together, so it could get problematic if your neighbors weren't the best.

The biggest complaint I would have is that the table-side dressing of the baked potato (which, I'm sure, is designed to make things seem even fancier) took so long that the rest of our meal cooled too much. Otherwise, food and service were of high quality.

This is not a place I would go out of way to dine at. There are other steak houses offering a better quality-to-price ratio and nothing was "to die for." However, if I was at the casino or seeing a show there (our reason for this visit), I would definitely dine here again if I wanted a fancy evening out.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

For a limited time, The Western Door has a three course meal priced at $40 in which I had this evening that was worth every penny! It began with a very nice assortment of breads with three different kinds of butter and spreads. The sweet potato soup of the day was a perfect treat for an autumn day. It was very flavorful and was blended very nicely. The 6 oz filet mignon was served with a mushroom demiglaze. It was cooked medium as ordered and was the best filet mignon that I have ever had. The garlic mashed potatoes and the asparagus were first-rate supplements to the meal as well. Even the iced tea (sweetened) was freshly brewed. The cheesecake for dessert was made in house and very creamy and had a large portion of berries as well. Nicole was my lead server and she and Lisa were outstanding in terms of pacing the meal, were very pleasant, friendly, knowledgeable of the menu, and even helped me make a reservation for New Years' Eve dinner here.

The restaurant was very comfortable with ideal seating in a comfortable booth as well. Was so impressed with the meal that I plan to return over the weekend to try more of their very fine cuisine. This $40 three course meal is offered every day but Saturdays, and half price bottles of wine are offered as well. Overall, an outstanding dining experience with first rate cuisine and service! Highly recommended!

1  Thank Moomus
Reviewed October 30, 2013

really wasn't expecting much from this place based on our experience with some of the other restaurants in the hotel casino....but was i ever wrong!!!!!
we LOVED this place!!!!! what a lucky find!!! service from rachelle and rachael was first class.....food was big city delicious......a great, up-scale atmosphere without being pretentious.....we were thrilled with this experience. i know some may think it is expensive.....but you really get what you pay for!!!!! my giant 24 ounce steak was enormous, perfectly cooked and smothered in bleu cheese.....and the wonderful little basket of bread, awesome! savory scones, caramelized onion bread, and the star of the basket was the corn meal bread!!!! i can't say enough good about this place!!! what are you waiting for????GO, GO, GO!!!!!

1  Thank pyramoon
Reviewed October 16, 2013

If you are looking for an excellent restaurant, this is the place for filet. The meat is so tender, it seems as if you could cut it with a dinner knife. Although all items are a la carte, it is worth every penny. The service is superb and I am looking forward to the next visit

1  Thank brungardtx