“A little pricey for my taste..... but good.”
Review of The Western Door

The Western Door
Ranked #26 of 295 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Hudson Falls, New York
“A little pricey for my taste..... but good.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Food was good... but expensive. Service was excellent.
It was freezing in there with their A/C blasting. Steaks were cooked just as asked.

Visited July 2013

Rochester, New York
“Outstanding!!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We loved this restaurant!

We stayed 2 nights at the Seneca Niagara Hotel/Casino and after a disappointing meal offsite the first night we decided to have dinner at the Western Door on the second night. We made reservations that morning for 7 PM.

Our wait team was Tony and Bonnie - a terrific twosome! He was the right amount of levity with some cute jokes - she was sweet and professional.

First impressions were that the table was beautifully set - with gorgeous glassware.

No wine list was shown but we told Tony what we liked and he picked a delicious Riesling. Before ordering the second bottle we though we'd better inquire on the price - $32. Not bad.

Both couples shared Caesar Salads as they were huge. Also delicious!

For entrees we had the Filet Mignon - perfect - with a side of bearnaise - and the prime rib. My husband deemed this one of the best he'd ever eaten.

Tony also advised us that green beans came with all meals - "whether you like it or not!". We did - they were perfectly cooked.

Our party also had a side of the fresh oysters - which were also terrific.

When I read the reviews of the Western Door on TripAdvisor I was shocked that they were all over the place. Maybe we are easy to please (we are) or maybe we hit it on a good night - but we have raved about this meal for the past week and can't wait to go again. In our opinion this place is a winner!

Toronto
“I was expecting more”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It was a nice casual dining restaurant, I was expecting to be more elegant.
The waiter would have his hands in his pockets when he was telling us about the soup of the day.
For that price I expected to be more nice but it was okay, as for my meal the filet mignon stake was excellent but my husband stake which was N.Y strip was nothing great he said he had many better ones, wine was good too. Not sure why they give you side dishes that are big, they are big enough to share obviously but my husband doesn't eat asparagus so there was a lot left.
It is a nice place it seems very popular, we had our reservation done two weeks before so we were seated right away.

Malta, New York
“Swank and VERY expensive”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The food here was quite good, but it wasn't as good as you'd expect for the super-high prices. The experience is fancy, the kind of place with multiple servers tending to your needs, and the kind of place where the entrees don't come with sides -- you have to order (and pay for) them separately. We both got prime rib, which was good, but our short rib appetizer was disappointing, tough and chewy in a way that short ribs really shouldn't be if they're cooked well. Considering the lack of decent places to eat in this area, you could do worse, but it was clearly overpriced for the quality of the food.

Warning: Since this is a Seneca facility, it's sovereign territory, meaning that the state smoking laws don't apply -- there's a smoking section, and plenty of smoking goes on in the rest of the casino as well. You'll probably smell like smoke by the time you get back to your car. :(

Grand Island, New York, United States
“Best Steak in WNY”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is an excellent example of the classic American Steakhouse. I have never had a cut of meat here that wasn't excellent, the sides are very good as are the appetizers and, while it sounds hokey the breads are killer. The only local competition is the Chop House, of which I give the edge to Western Door. I often sit at the bar and eat and the service and quality is unchanged. Frank (and his staff) define great old school bar tenders, this guy remembers your drink after 4-5 months, he even remembers my Dad's drink, whom he served for years at another establishment. A warning that it is a pricey meal, but don't let that discourage you from trying it's great.

• Visited April 2013