“overall”

Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Niagara Falls
San Francisco, California
“overall”
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The service was good, especially Sil, the housekeeper. She was very professional. But the room next to us, party all night, had the TV against the wall on loud and right next to my headboard and then at around 5 am, a couple there, started insulting each other. My family and I arrived at midnight and tried to get some rest but couldn't at all. The office was closed when we called so the following morning we mentioned it to the housekeeper. We were running late to check out but Sil was ok with it.

Room Tip: Skip a room in between.
Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Turkish first
Newburgh, Indiana
Reviewed August 21, 2011

I arrived and it looked a little run-down but I had already paid for the one night stay so I wanted to give it a try. I checked in; the man and women that checked me in were very friendly. I parked in front of my room and there was a light on above the door that had a lot of bugs attracted to it. I quickly opened and closed the door to try to keep as many bugs out as possible. The room was disgusting:

*The carpet had grime on it
*The walls had stains
*I found two bugs (not bedbugs) on the bed
*The TV Stand was broken
*The night stand and desk were extremely worn
*The bathroom had a towel sitting in the shower and the floor was discusting

I asked for my money back because I was not staying there and they denied it and then I told them that there were two bugs in my bed and the women at the front desk said "There are no bugs". I asked for her to come view my room and she declined - I asked her if she was declining to acknowledge that the room was unclean and she shrugged her shoulders. I turned in the key and went to the Super 8 down the street which was about $10 more expensive and was much cleaner!

STAY STAY STAY AWAY!!!!!

THE ONLY thing I really want when I stay at a hotel is a clean floor, shower, toilet, and bed - I do not care about any other facilities. The bed was the cleanest part about this place and the two bugs I found in it were deal breakers for me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank WDL386

Travelers are raving about these Niagara Falls hotels

Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Swiss Cottage Inn is a throwback to the no frills motels frugal travelers grew up with back in the day. If you want an inexpensive place to crash and not spend much time in, you've got the right place. If you want even a modicum of luxury, keep looking. My bedroom was comically tiny, the bathroom small and oddly shaped. On the other hand, the bed was quite comfortable, the AC worked well and the TV provided a decent selection of programming. Although we did not use the pool, it looked clean enough andis an unusual amenity for motels of this kind in the Niagara Falls NY area. The "breakfast" served at the motel was in name only. It consisted of weak coffee, coffee cake and miniature donuts (tiny seems to be the theme here). However, Dunkin Donuts is close by as are KFC and Bob Evans restaurant. A unexpected pleasant surprise was that the office provides free municipal bus passes each day for every member of your party. The bus arrives across the streetat the next main corner and takes you directly to the US Falls and then back to the motel at night. This will save you $10 daily in parking fees plus the cost of a daily bus pass ($5-$6 per person daily). As the saying goes, it is what it is. Stay here and save your money for Maid of the Mist or dinner at Michael's Italian restaurant, use the room for the purpose for which it was intended (sleep that is) and take pride in your financial acumen.

2 Thank yankee1313
Reviewed July 29, 2011

The manager (Eva) was really nice and helpful. Hotel room is small but was ok for us. Metro bus is one block from the hotel, and she gives complementary day pass. Especially if u like swimming, this is the only one nearby I saw have pool.

New Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 12, 2011

Room was tiny, seemed to be converted from an office. Looking at the front of the room from outside, it seemed to be 1/3 to 1/2 size smaller that all the other rooms. The front and part of one side wall were glass, faced the road and had broken screens. Couldn't open blinds at night because of broken screens that would let bugs in, plus we were on the end right by a major road and people could see in. The beds were very uncomfortable as I woke up sore every morning I slept there. The carpeting had several stains everywhere. I swear when I showered after walking on them barefoot the night before and a bit during that morning I had black stuff come off the bottom of my feet from the carpeting. Air conditioner was sub-par and didn't produce much for cool air unless you stood 2 inches from it. Walls were gray and white with many nails and screws sticking out of them where it looked like shelving was removed and fake brick on the other side of the room, depressing. Wall also had a coiled up white wire sticking out of it with bare ends showing. Not sure what that was for. To dry one's hair you had to plug your dryer into outlet located in the closet, yes closet, because that is where the outlet was. There were none in the bathroom! Refrigerator that was supplied did not keep food cold. It is not a refrigerator, it is an electric cooler, we were told by management and that keeping our food cold wasn't to be expected. Never heard of that one before. I phoned and asked if irons were available and was told they weren't because their insurance won't allow them. When management was approached about the problems in the room and the possibility of changing to another we were told they were fully booked. That night there were several empty parking spaces. The next day management didn't even approach us about changing the room or to even see if things were okay. So, if you want a dingy, depressing, tiny and stuffy room to stay in, by all means book your reservation now, at least there aren't bed bugs. If you don't believe me then you can ask the myriad of people who sit in the two white plastic chairs in front of the office and stare at everyone all day. I am just glad I didn't approach them about extending our stay like I was going to that fateful first day we stayed there. I would not recommend this hotel to a family member, friend, neighbor, acquaintance, enemy, prison inmate on death row or anyone else.

Room Tip: Don't take Room 32, it seemed to be a converted office or storage closet.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank swapshack
Orillia, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My Husband and I just spent the weekend here it was awesome friendly service, clean rooms (small...but we just slept in room) has a mini fridge and microwave, pool was refreshing on hot days close to everything...malls, restaurants and the falls we are going back soon and will be staying at the same place

Barb & Dave...Orillia Ontario

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My husband and I spent one night here and I would say if you are looking for a simple, cheap place to sleep this place is ok. The hotel could do with a good refurb as the interior seems a little run down and definitely out-dated, but everything was very clean and neat, and the couple who run the place were friendly and helpful. The location is reasonable. I must say, though, if we were to come back to Niagara and had a some extra cash to spare we'd definitely look for somewhere a little nicer.