“Very Popular!”

The Griffon Gastropub
Ranked #2 of 299 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Gastropub is defined as a pub that serves high quality food and drink. We here at The Griffon serve fresh, inventive, thoughtful food with a twist, from around the world, cooked to order with love. We have 50 craft beers on tap, an assortment of great beers in the bottle, over 250 different liquors & a great wine list. Our guests are like family and the lifeblood of our restaurant, service is of the utmost importance to us. We a re a casual fine dining, full service restaurant. We thank you for supporting a locally owned restaurant and if there is ever anything we may do to make your experience better please don't hesitate to ask for us!! Come experience the PubLife!! Ken Scibetta & Edward Webster
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We are local and are glad to have something other than chains (Chili's, AppleBees, Olive Gardens) to go have a bite. We decided to go early (5ish) for Friday night to beat the crowd but to our surprise. It was packed. The bar area and tables were full. It was wonderful to see. We had reservations. Very friendly greeting, awesome waiter (ask for Jordan)!! The food appetizers, meals to dessert EXCELLENT!

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

My team of 6 coworkers chose The Griffon Pub for our holiday lunch because one person had been there previously and loved it.

We ordered 5 burgers & a roast beef and everyone was very satisfied with their meal except me. All burgers were ordered medium but mine came severly well done, not a drop of pink & a crispy burnt char around the outside. It was juicy & had decent flavor & the bun was huge & tasty. If prepared correctly it may have been worth the $11+.

The Pub plays up the idea of customizing your $8.50 burger & charges à la carte for toppings like cheese ($1) and bacon ($2). I ordered bacon & carmalized onions & received bacon & mushrooms instead, but everyone else got exactly what they ordered.

I'd have sent mine back as it was probably the wrong order & not a mistake, but it had taken 25 minutes to get the first one & I didn't want to wait for a replacement.

I loved the beer battered onion rings and found the garlic parmesan fries pleasant but both had mixed reviews across the table.

Our server was friendly and attentive until we lost her attention to other tables. It wasn't busy when we arrived at noon but promptly filled up & they seemed understaffed for the rush.

One gentleman in our party went to the bar to get change but was ignored by the bartender after not ordering a drink.

It is worth noting no one in our group was comfortable after removing our coats as our booth was freezing cold.

Though the burgers are promising if you have the time & money, my experience at the Pub would not bring me back.

1  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Having heard good reviews re both food and drink, we stopped here on a cold winter night, looking for some comfort food and some good beer. We were not disappointed. It was not even 5:30 PM and all but the large tables were full (they do take reservations). I had chicken gruyere, which is chicken breasts with carmelized onions, served over smoke gouda mac & cheese. Wife had chicken and waffles from sandwich column, but it really requires knife and fork. Chicken topped with cheese and bacon, waffle, and slaw on the side. Accompanying parm. cheesed french fries were excellent. Beer prices are excellent, especially for the quality of the craft beers. Our waiter Jordan was professional yet casual and very pleasant, knowledgeable re the many beers, and gave us just the right amount of attention. This is a place we will return to soon, as there were several items on the menu we wanted to try, and many more beers on tap, calling our name.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We were driving by going down Military Road and I saw "Gastropub" and "50 different beers on tap". We were curious and it had a full parking lot, so we decided to try it. It had some pub grub but it was not normal pub grub. I had a fried chicken sandwich on chive waffles with Asian slaw and a side of roasted veggies but I had a really difficult time choosing my dinner. My husband had gruyere chicken with carmelized onions and mushrooms and a side of smoke gouda & cheese. It was different and really great food. They did have a lot of beer on tap but I don't drink beer. My husband did enjoy his glass of guiness.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I've worked in Niagara Falls for over 18 years and have always been dismayed whenever colleagues came into town or we needed to take clients out to lunch. Outside of the Casino or the Red Coach, there simply were no good options.

I have eaten at The Griffon Pub three times now. All meals were for lunch; twice during the week, and once on a Sunday with my husband.

I had not seen the restaurant when it was Auggies, but my colleague had, and she raved about the renovations. The tin ceiling and the wood floor are gorgeous.

I have had the following dishes: Scotch egg; Ultimate Baked Potato Soup; Calamari; Panko Chicken Sandwich; Croque Monsier Sandwich; and the Mangia Steak Sandwich. My companions also had the Shrimp Po' Boy and the Jalapeno Cream Cheese Burger.

The sandwiches and burgers are all a bit pricey, but who cares, it's not Olive Garden or Applebee's.

My favorite sandwich was definitely the Croque Monsier. I loved the combination of turkey breast and gruyere cheese; the apples were also a nice touch. I liked the cheesey fries (my colleague wasn't crazy about them). All of the sandwiches and burgers are very large. You will not leave hungry. I also thought that they nailed the calamari - it was not too chewey and I really liked the dipping sauce. And what can I say about the Scotch egg; don't try to eat one yourself; it is split in half and is definitely meant for sharing.

The service for the most part was good. On one weekday visit, we both substituted a side of beans for the fries. The sandwiches came out with the fries. When I told the waiter that we had ordered beans, he said, "Yes, you did!" The beans came right out, and he did not charge us any extra for substituting the beans for the fries.

Another reviewer mentioned the booths. They are extremely uncomfortable if someone is sitting on the other side. You can feel every movement. Thankfully, there are also tables and chairs.

As for the reviewer who said that if you like this place you don't have a palate, I have to disagree. Granted, the food descriptions are overhyped. So what? That's marketing. I travel extensively for work throughout the U.S. and it would be a good restaurant just about anywhere. Is it the best restaurant in Western NY? No, it's not. However, it is clearly heads and shoulders above the chains and the local scary dive bar/restaurants in the area. Once they get the service kinks worked out, it will be even better.