“A great find!”

The Griffon Gastropub
Ranked #2 of 299 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A Gastropub is defined as a pub that serves high quality food and drink. We here at The Griffon serve fresh, inventive, thoughtful food with a twist, from around the world, cooked to order with love. We have 50 craft beers on tap, an assortment of great beers in the bottle, over 250 different liquors & a great wine list. Our guests are like family and the lifeblood of our restaurant, service is of the utmost importance to us. We a re a casual fine dining, full service restaurant. We thank you for supporting a locally owned restaurant and if there is ever anything we may do to make your experience better please don't hesitate to ask for us!! Come experience the PubLife!! Ken Scibetta & Edward Webster
Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Excellent draught selection and a generous menu. Love the decor and the food was excellent. I recommend the chicken gruyere!

1  Thank Joshk7

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stopped in for an early dinner and to watch the game. The restaurant has been totally remodeled and looks great. The place is very clean and has a nice bar with an excellent selection of craft and imported beer. My wife had a burger and I had the Panko chicken sandwich. Both were very good. The menu is not a typical bar menu, it's big and has some unusual and interesting choices along with the old standards like wings and burgers. The service could use some improvement but the waitress was very nice. We'll be back for sure!

1  Thank JLago
Reviewed October 11, 2013

From the minute we pulled into the parking lot our hopes were up, the remodel on the building were noticed immediately. Then we walked in and there was a smiling face to greet us, we were sat at one of their spacious booths and handed 3 menus, a beverage menu, a pub food menu, & their regular menu. The decision making was not an easy one, we settled on the beer bread for an appetizer which arrived with them most amazing butter, then my husband had the short rib gnocchi, I had the manga steak sandwich, and our daughter had the chicken and waffles. WOW is the only word to describe the flavor, the freshness. And then they had to have dessert and they decided on the pillows of love, fried dough balls with chocolate and strawberry sauce! YUM.
This is a clean restaurant, the wait staff could use to be just a bit more personable, but they are very attentive. We will be back, and back, and back there is so much on the menu we want to try.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We went to this place for lunch on the recommendation of a guy my husband works with and because we were doing errands near by.

The place has only been open about 2 months and normally I won't go to a place until they've been open at least 6 months. I want them to get the kinks out. But...my husband wanted to try it and we don't really like chain restaurants so we gave it a go.

It's located in the prime shopping strip but we nearly missed it since there's no real clear signage to catch your eye.

When we walked in there was a scent...smell?...that I thought smelled like some sort of Yankee Candle type of thing. It wasn't offensive to me but it bothered my husband.

We were seated pretty quickly and given a booth.

The atmosphere is very dark. Dark floors...dark upholstery....dark tables....everyone dressed in black.

I think their menu is too complicated. So many restaurants offer too many items. I think that's a mistake for profitability and for service.

Anyway....I had a hard time ordering because everything sounded good. Fattening but good :-)

I ordered the "Asian pot stickers on a bed of field greens" and decided at the last minute to order a cup of the baked potato soup. I know it's bad for me but it's a favorite and the server promised it was a small cup. She was right it is. It's also a little pricey but totally understandable since it was very good.

The soup had big hunks of potato and had been under the broiler so the cheese was nice and browned. I've never seen anyone do that and it was a nice touch. There was also applewood (?) bacon on top (I can't remember now if that was the name or not). This also gave the soup a nice flavor but the problem was the bacon was so fatty that I must have mopped up a good half teaspoon of grease with my napkins.

The pot stickers....these were fried. I've never had them fried. They've always been steamed but hey...they were good. It's just that between the pot stickers and the soup I could feel my arteries harden as I was eating.

As for that "bed of field greens"? That was 6 very limp pieces of arugala (I think). The "bed of field greens" was one reason I ordered it. As my husband said, "That's more like a cot than a bed."

They were pretty good and the sauce was good but just a tad too spicy. I like the sauce to be an accompaniment to the pot stickers, not overpower them. Unfortunately this sauce overpowered them.

My husband had a salmon burger.

He was disappointed that it didn't come with some sort of sauce. I can't remember now if the menu said it did and they just forgot it or what. I gave him some of my dipping sauce and it helped but overall it didn't wow him.

The service was fine although the server was confused about what came with my husband's burger. Not surprising since, as I said, the menu was confusing (there were 2 menus plus the beer / wine list) and I overheard her talking about it being her first day. She did a good job though for it being day 1.

I asked my husband if he was willing to come back and he said no. I would go again I think but the chances are slim since I rarely eat out by myself.

So I give it Average because of the above criticisms but it was actually better than average for taste and creativity. So personally, I'd give them another shot. Like I said, they had lots on the menu that did sound good. Very creative.

1  Thank Winnie A
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stopped in for lunch with 5 friends. Great atmosphere with a very nice menu. This Pub is a notch up from what we expected of a bar/restaurant in Niagara Falls. Our service was extremely slow, we had to ask for a menu, but the waitress was friendly and the prices not bad. They have a very extensive Beer list, not much of a Wine list and no Vodka drink list at all. Our meal was very delicous. I would suggest this place for dinner instead of lunch though if you are pressed for time, because the service was quite slow. We will definately come back for dinner and a few drinks and recommend this place to others as well.