“good food, great value”

Ranked #48 of 295 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 16, 2011

A local favorite, this place can get very popular on the weekend.
We were there on a Saturday night without a reservation and waited almost an hour for a table. At the beginning of the wait we were told it would be worth it and eventually it was. It isn't always this busy on a Saturday and the bartender even gave us a couple of free ones because there were two large parties of around 20 which caused a bit of a problem for the regular folk. We met a few other Canadians there too. One couple from Hamilton that are semi regulars and some Torontians that were first timers like us that found out about it here on TA.
All I can say is the food is great. It's not "fine dining" by any stretch but the food is well prepared and at a great price. I had the New York striploin my wife had the veal and we both left very happy. The perogies and French onion soup are among the best I've ever had.
Like I said the food is a great value just be sure to make a reservation especially if it is the first Saturday of the month. This is the day you can order the Prime Rib (by reservation only)
and it is a little busier. BTW I saw the Prime Rib go out to a couple of tables while waiting for our food and that's what I'm having next time. Be sure to show up hungry.

2  Thank canadakev
There are newer reviews for Kobans

Reviewed October 8, 2011

We read about Koban's on this website and decided to give it a try. All the reviews were right on- our food was fantastic and it was a really nice place for a quiet dinner.

The decor was not the greatest but the food and service make up for it! The strip steaks were the best we ever had and we had to take half of it home! Even my boyfriend couldn't finish all of it. Everything was fantastic.

If you're looking for a quiet dinner a little off the beaten path, Koban's is it!

1  Thank Sbeasley75
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Stayed in Niagara Falls for three nights and dinner at Kobans was the highlight (aside from the Falls, of course). The ambiance leaves something to be desired but the warmth and hospitality of the staff more than makes up for the lack of decor.
Their onion soup was one of the best ever, the homemade salad dressings were above average and the steak and grilled chicken both excellent. The prices are beyond reasonable for the great food. Don't miss the coconut snowball for dessert.

4  Thank scooperman
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Kobans was our place of choice for our destination wedding dinner. We had 18 family members travel four hours for our wedding. When we got to Kobans, we were treated with great respect and excellent service. My husband and I had met with the serving staff the night before and felt as if we were in good hands. When we entered the day of the wedding, our table was neatly arranged with linens and fresh bud vases. This is a small touch that is greatly appreciated. We had asked to have appetizers ready at 5:30, and sure enough out came this special delight of an antipasto salad and bread. We were not expecting that, but my taste buds were so happy. As the other appetizers were brought, I realized I should be careful not to eat too much prior to my entre'. The French Onion soup was incredible. My New York Strip steak was so thick and prepared perfectly. I served for five years in a five star restaurant that charged $40 dollars for the steak alone that didn't compare to Kobans. At Koban's we received the 14 oz. New York Strip, a salad, and a side all for $17.25. Seriously, we have eaten at Ruth Chris Steak house, and Koban's steak was better. As for the other family members, we had them order off of the menu in advance. If you are a pasta lover, their lasagna was huge and delicious. My father state the grilled barbeque chicken breast was the best chicken he has ever eaten (Sorry Mom). Oh, and my desert was the Peanut Butter Fudge Ice Cream Pie. Melts in your mouth for a delight that is cool, and delicious on a warm summer day. I have a feeling that even in the winter the desert is a warm a cozy comfort food because of the hot fudge. My husband an I are agree that Kobans is a restaurant we will crave for back in southwest Pennsylvania. I hope to go back every year for our anniversary.

By the way, we found Kobans via trip advisor. Their rating for the French onion soup and New York strip drove us to viewing their website. The website has everything you need to make your mouth water. This restaurant was picked for our wedding by the internet. How fortunate we were for the four people who reviewed Kobans. Thank you! Our day was made incredible by this exceptional dining experience.

Kobans - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! May all of those visiting and living in Niagara Falls, NY visit your restaurant and have the same taste and service experience!

With highest regards to Kobans,
Dana L. Falosk

3  Thank DanaLFalosk
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We decided to try Koban's for a break from the touristy stuff at Niagara falls. We were so glad we did! Even though we live out of the area we WILL be returning for more. The French onion soup is the best I've ever tried. The baked stuffed potato filling in a piorogi was yummy. My family sampled things from cheese burgers, to lasagne and hot roast beef with gravy and we all came away with stuffed bellies and smiles and lots of take home containers! The portions are large, the prices are reasonable and the atmosphere is clean and homey. Maybe next time I'll be able to save room to try that peanut butter pie.

2  Thank friskybug