“HORRIBLE service, mediocre food. Not a pleasurable experience!”

Red Coach Inn - Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Coach Inn - Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 299 Restaurants in Niagara Falls
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The chefs at the Red Coach Inn in Niagara Falls create a new feature menu for lunch and dinner each day. The popular AAA Three Diamond restaurant was rated "Four Stars-Excellent" by the Niagara Gazette, and it was the winner of the Western New York Chef Challenge and the Taste of Buffalo "People's Choice," "New York" and "Best Seafood" awards.A roaring wood fire in the natural stone fireplace warms the Grill Room in winter. In summer the patio, surrounded by a beautiful garden and koi pond is a favorite dining spot. The Rapids Room, an enclosed porch with leaded-glass windows, offers a panoramic view of the majestic Niagara Rapids. The Cruvinet wine bar has rich mahogany paneling with granite and brass accents. It features an array of vintage wines by the glass, flavored coffees, cappuccino, and beers from around the world. The cozy Fireside Room has an extensive library. It is the perfect gathering place for cocktails, an after-dinner drink, or for simply relaxing with a book by the fire. Banquet rooms with picture windows offering spectacular views of the Rapids can comfortably accommodate parties up to 50. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served seven days a week.
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Inn for 2 nights and dined in the restaurant twice for breakfast. I'm reviewing the restaurant separately so as not to bring down the score of the Inn.

Our stay in the Inn included free breakfast in the morning which is always a plus. However, next time I stay here, I'll skip on the breakfast...even if it's free.

First of all, the waitresses here sees you, but looks right through you. On the first morning, we sat for almost 25 minutes with no service. The waitresses walked past us a trillion times but none bothered to stop by our table. Two tables that came after us had already gotten their coffees and ordered their food by now. Finally my husband had to get up to get someone to come and serve us. When she came, she was not apologetic and blandly asked what we wanted. Fine. At this point, just give me some food. I ordered the Stuffed French Toast with a side of bacon and hubby ordered the breakfast sandwich with a side of sausage. Finally we get our food and my french toast was so undercooked that it was mushy and I can taste the egg wash. Ugh. I abandon the french toast and move onto the bacon. 3 out of 4 strips were cooked and almost burnt but the 4th was almost raw. To me, they were obviously not from the same batch. It looked as if they took 3 left over strips from other people's plates and quickly tried to whip up one more to throw it together to make a plate. Luckily, hubby was quite happy with his sandwich and sausage and shared with me. But still, I left breakfast unhappy and unfulfilled.

Second morning - I entered the dining room with little expectation seeing as how the previous morning went. I am ever so amazed by these waitresses who have the superb ability to ignore people. This time, we were left sitting for about 15 minutes unattended before my husband tried to get one waitress's attention for some coffee. Not surprisingly, she walked right on by and ignored us. A few minutes later, our waitress came stumbling into the dining room to greet us and even apologize for making us wait. SHOCKING. Apparently she was new and so she has not acquired the ability to ignore people yet. She was a bit frazzled, but we didn't mind. At least we got service and she was nice. This time I got the steak and eggs with a side of grilled pound cake and hubby got the vegetarian skillet with a side of grapefruit. Usually I get my steak rare, but seeing as how they like to undercook things, I asked for medium rare this time but what I got was well done. The rest of our meal was unremarkable, nothing to write home about. We were just grateful that we were not the table next to us, who were there before us, but just got their drinks as we finished and left.

We wondered if the service was so bad because the breakfast was included in the stay and maybe some people don't leave tip? But I can see why some people wouldn't leave tip because the service was sooooooooo bad. Nevertheless, on both days, we tried to calculate what the bill would have been (there was no bill since breakfast was included) and we left a 18% tip on both days. It also seemed as if the staff was not trained properly. They do not greet guests and do not help tables that are not theirs (that's if they even serve their own tables). And every time we went to park or get our car from the back lot, there was always a waitress or a cook smoking and/or talking on the phone outside. They also seem understaffed because the concierge doubled as wait staff and was serving the food. Eh. Disappointment after disappointment. It's a pity that the restaurant ruined what could've been a perfect stay at the Red Coach Inn.

1  Thank Yanibaby
JoAnn O, Public Relations Manager at Red Coach Inn - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

We certainly appreciate all feedback posted about our Inn, and we are sorry we fell short at the Restaurant. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome the feedback as opportunity to improve.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,183)

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have enjoyed the Red Coach for over 20 years for special occasions in my family. Once in a while we have experienced some items not in stock but usually the food is excellent and the atmosphere is cozy. A little more dressy than some restaurants but they will feed you regardless of how casual you are.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We did not stay at the Inn, however, after a day walking around the American side of Niagara Falls we decided to have lunch at Red Coach Inn. It’s a super super charming and beautiful Inn and literally across the street from the falls and Niagara River. The restaurant was charming and the huge fireplace was very cozy on a cold day! We sat next to the windows and could literally see the rapids on the Niagara River. Great view. Overall the food was good, however, could have been a bit more seasoned… just a little bland for my personal taste. We had Sheperd’s Pie and the Reuben sandwich.
The service at this restaurant was some of the worst I have ever experienced. We walked in and stood at the hostess stand while three girls, I believe they were all servers, stood ten feet away talking. They looked over at us and still stood there talking for another couple minutes ignoring us. Finally a girl sat us and a lovely table next to the window. We then sat at our table for (no exaggeration) over ten minutes and not one person came over. There were only four other tables occupied, so they definitely weren’t busy. However, I could see the three girls still chit chatting in the other section. People at other tables were also getting upset as they wanted to leave and needed their check. One couple told me that they have eaten there several times in the past and the service is always very slow. Finally we had to get up and find someone and ask if anyone was going to assist us. A server arrived, and apologized, but seemed a bit annoyed that she had to wait on us. Throughout lunch other tables still had to hunt down servers to check on their order or ask for the bill. Not sure what the problem was as they weren’t busy and they clearly had lazy staff just standing around in the front talking for hours.
Overall, the charm of the building and interior, location and good hot food on a cold day would make it worth a visit, but not if you're pressed for time or care about being treated like a valued patron.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We chose this restaurant for breakfast because it was close to the brink of the Falls. We waited almost an hour for our food because we were told there was only one cook for a half-full restaurant. When the food came it was practically inedible. Do not order the vegetarian skillet. It was a congealed mess, and for as long as we waited, was served cold. The grilled pound cake was dry and tasteless. The good news? They didn't make us pay at all.

1  Thank tinitsa
James_redcoach, Guest Relations Manager at Red Coach Inn - Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

I would like to take the time to apologize for your experience here at the Red Coach Inn. I have addressed the issues that you have experienced, and would like to extend an invite back to our property the next time you visit Niagara Falls. Thank you for your impute and patience.

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This place is special to my gf and i, we aleays eat here for Valentine's day every year. When the weather is nice, we walk down to the falls after. Really nice atmosphere, top notch service. Food is prepared with an artistic touch.

1  Thank Nachotown